The Student Room Group

I'm Schizophrenic AMA

Poll

Have you ever suffered from mental illness?

Like I said I'm schizophrenic AMA :smile:

I took acid, ecstasy, coke & crack and smoked heroin leading up to a psychotic episode and a diagnosis of schizophrenia.

Scroll to see replies

What's your favourite colour?
Mines orange :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Prince of Mind
What's your favourite colour?
Mines orange :smile:

I don't have a favourite colour. I like orange though.
Reply 3
Being schizophrenic is cool you have a fantastic imagination and loads of fantasy friends.
Reply 4
Ok so a few people have voted on the poll. Nice one apparently 1 in 4 people will suffer from a mental illness sometime in their life. 1 in a million people have schizophrenia like me.
If the drugs led to you have a single episode of psychosis, how did they diagnose you with Schizophrenia - would it not be more appropriate to call that a drug-induced psychosis?
How has your mental health been since then?
Autism and Aspergers aren't mental health issues. They are developmental disorders.
Reply 7
Original post by SquareBrackets
If the drugs led to you have a single episode of psychosis, how did they diagnose you with Schizophrenia - would it not be more appropriate to call that a drug-induced psychosis?
How has your mental health been since then?

On my first admission to hospital I was diagnosed with having a psychotic episode it was the second time I was diagnosed as schizophrenic.

My mental health is good I still hear voices I sometimes get deluded but then we all get things wrong don't we. I work at the market and the mental health team is just about to discharge me. Everything is going well.
:smile:
Original post by Paladian
On my first admission to hospital I was diagnosed with having a psychotic episode it was the second time I was diagnosed as schizophrenic.

My mental health is good I still hear voices I sometimes get deluded but then we all get things wrong don't we. I work at the market and the mental health team is just about to discharge me. Everything is going well.
:smile:

Ah I see. Brilliant - thats really good to hear. I hope that you are OK in the community :smile:

What medication do you have to take? How good is your compliance? Do you know your re-lapse signs?
Reply 9
Original post by OU Student
Autism and Aspergers aren't mental health issues. They are developmental disorders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mental_disorders Mental disorders.
Reply 10
Ah I see. Brilliant - thats really good to hear. I hope that you are OK in the community :smile:

What medication do you have to take? How good is your compliance? Do you know your re-lapse signs?

I take pregablin and aripiprazole. What do you mean by compliance - (I'm quite anarchic) and no I don't know my relapse signs.
I take pregablin and aripiprazole. What do you mean by compliance - (I'm quite anarchic) and no I don't know my relapse signs.

Ah ok, so Aripiprazole is your main anti-psychotic. Which is good since it has less side-effects than some of the others.

Pregabalin is a painkiller / anti-anxiety medication.

Compliance just means, do you take your tablet each and every day?

Its very important to know your relapse signs, especially when you're not undergoing regular monitoring from your community mental health team.

If you think you are going to have another episode, go straight to your GP and tell them, if they can recognise it early, they may be able to help you not be admitted / go under section.
Being schizophrenic is cool you have a fantastic imagination and loads of fantasy friends.

I don't believe you. People with schizophrenic don't believe what they are seeing is "fantasy" or "a fantastic imagination" and they very much believe that those friends and illusions are real so I call bs.
Original post by ilovereading
I don't believe you. People with schizophrenic don't believe what they are seeing is "fantasy" or "a fantastic imagination" and they very much believe that those friends and illusions are real so I call bs.

Not when they're actually out of psychotic episode. Gaining insight into their delusions / hallucinations is often a great sign that they're recovered...
Reply 14
Ah ok, so Aripiprazole is your main anti-psychotic. Which is good since it has less side-effects than some of the others.

Pregabalin is a painkiller / anti-anxiety medication.

Compliance just means, do you take your tablet each and every day?

Its very important to know your relapse signs, especially when you're not undergoing regular monitoring from your community mental health team.

If you think you are going to have another episode, go straight to your GP and tell them, if they can recognise it early, they may be able to help you not be admitted / go under section.

No I don't take my tablets everyday.

I'm well enough to know when I'm becoming ill enough to need help.
Reply 15

It was a jk. I don't really believe my delusions are fantasy until after I've had them and the voices I hear I do believe they are real people. It's difficult to explain but I don't believe in telepathy but telepathy is the best way to describe what it is. I know that's contradictory but its like you need to be a genius to understand the different dimensions of memory, fantasy and reality.
It was a jk. I don't really believe my delusions are fantasy until after I've had them and the voices I hear I do believe they are real people. It's difficult to explain but I don't believe in telepathy but telepathy is the best way to describe what it is. I know that's contradictory but its like you need to be a genius to understand the different dimensions of memory, fantasy and reality.

Jokes are meant to be funny. Now I am even stronger in my belief that you are bull****ting. "The voices I hear I do believe they are real people" If you believed that, they wouldn't be "voices". You dont need to be a genius to figure out when someone is telling porky pies.
A black holes gravity is so powerful that not even light can escape from it. What would happen if your invisible friend went to a black hole? (Sorry if I sound racist).

If you really are schizo, why dont you join the police?
Jokes are meant to be funny. Now I am even stronger in my belief that you are bull****ting. "The voices I hear I do believe they are real people" If you believed that, they wouldn't be "voices". You dont need to be a genius to figure out when someone is telling porky pies.

OMG please stop talking

Thats the difference between second-person and third-person auditory hallucinations.

The former is where the voices talk to you, the latter s where they talk amongst themselves and you may believe they are real people.

Not the most reliable source

Quick Reply

Latest