The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
And they're handing 2nd place to Arsenal.

People acting as if city are guaranteed top 4; they're the worst out of the top teams right now and it only takes another slip up before they're right in the middle of the fight..

I've been saying this for months, glad people are finally starting to agree.

City are awful and pretty much reliant on Silva or Aguero doing something to win. Their squad is full of ageing/average players on huge wages and the manager is obviously going to be sacked in the summer. Their spending has been appalling in the past 3 years. If United can sort themselves out over the next few games then who's to say City won't be the ones who miss out?
Original post by shawn_o1
Holy, just saw what's happened at Turf Moor

What happened?
Original post by Lúcio
when they can't even beat one of the worst teams in the league, what makes you think they'll fare better even with an easier set of fixtures?
i haven't been watching the match but from what i've heard, burnley haven't even needed to play well; merely grabbed a goal and defended.
that is very worrying indeed, considering at this stage of the game they'll only get a draw at best now.

aside from liverpool, you're the best team in the league right now without a doubt.
1 point behind city (albeit with slightly harder fixtures)?
easy.

you'll beat us at the emirates or at least draw.

I know what you mean..

Burnley have been good this afternoon, not great.. but they created a few chances and took one.. city just really did not ever look that threatening. bar the final 5 minutes (where they probably should have had a pen, but still)

our game against you is the one I am most excited for at the moment.. going to be huge in deciding who gets 3rd.. with the way I see things going, a draw or win for us would make me very confident of 3rd.. but if you guys win, then I reckon you will take it. (ignoring 2nd, and city for now)

Not to mention the impact that fixture could have on the potential FA cup final...
The thing is bother of City's games against top 6 teams are away, where as we have 2 at home. People can say that home advantage doesn't exist, but that simply isn't true, we've won our last 8 home games in a row, and city have the worst form of the top 6 by some distance.

Going to go out on a limb here and say we're firm favourites for 2nd based on form and the fact our run in is similar to City's
1 point..........
Original post by Stefano93
Liverpool will probably be our biggest opposition left if they meet us in the FA cup semis. Champions League if we qualify next week, can we really make it past Real/Barca/Bayern? One can dream.. :moon:

Huh?
Burnley? I ****ing love Burnley!
Also, just looking at our next three league games: Newcastle (A), Liverpool (H), Burnley (A). We should be getting at least 6 points from that, I'm giving credit to Burnley because they beat city but we should still beat them comfortably, whilst Newcastle are struggling and whilst Liverpool have been extremely good of late, their away form leaves much to be desired (5 loses in the league away from home this year)

City have: West Brom (H), Palace (A), Utd (A). Now that is in theory quite easy, but Palace and West Brom are playing pretty good under their new managers and Utd should turn up for the derby. I don't see city getting much more than 5 points there at best, it'll be very easy to slip up especially Palace away.
Original post by sr90
I've been saying this for months, glad people are finally starting to agree.

City are awful and pretty much reliant on Silva or Aguero doing something to win. Their squad is full of ageing/average players on huge wages and the manager is obviously going to be sacked in the summer. Their spending has been appalling in the past 3 years. If United can sort themselves out over the next few games then who's to say City won't be the ones who miss out?

never rated the city managers in recent years tbh - if they ever get somebody who knows what he's doing, we could all be in trouble.

exactly; when silva and aguero aren't on point, they're near useless.
aside from a toure screamer or typical lampard goal to bail them out, they might as well not bother.

you never know - we'll see what happens tomorrow/monday obviously because they are both games that we could each slip up on.
but yes, with liverpool's form and arsenal so close to them, maybe the manachester clubs will be scrapping for the final spot?
you can only hope :rolleyes:

Original post by fallen_acorns
I know what you mean..

Burnley have been good this afternoon, not great.. but they created a few chances and took one.. city just really did not ever look that threatening. bar the final 5 minutes (where they probably should have had a pen, but still)

our game against you is the one I am most excited for at the moment.. going to be huge in deciding who gets 3rd.. with the way I see things going, a draw or win for us would make me very confident of 3rd.. but if you guys win, then I reckon you will take it. (ignoring 2nd, and city for now)

Not to mention the impact that fixture could have on the potential FA cup final...

exactly; when a relegation side beats the champions without playing THAT well, you know there are issues.
honestly man, i'm only focused on 4th.
in all my thoughts/predictions in the near future, i've expected a loss at the emirates.

looking at form, it's difficult to see past chelsea, arsenal, city, liverpool.
city are terrible but let's not just assume united are gonna get their act together.
maybe the manchester derby will be the game that decides 4th place?
who knows? :colone:
Original post by leinad2012
Also, just looking at our next three league games: Newcastle (A), Liverpool (H), Burnley (A). We should be getting at least 6 points from that, I'm giving credit to Burnley because they beat city but we should still beat them comfortably, whilst Newcastle are struggling and whilst Liverpool have been extremely good of late, their away form leaves much to be desired (5 loses in the league away from home this year)

City have: West Brom (H), Palace (A), Utd (A). Now that is in theory quite easy, but Palace and West Brom are playing pretty good under their new managers and Utd should turn up for the derby. I don't see city getting much more than 5 points there at best, it'll be very easy to slip up especially Palace away.

for me, 7 minimum from those 3 games. Absolutly no excuse for anything less.. cant loose at home to liverpool who are our dirrect top4 rivals, and the other two games, despite burley today, are easily winnable games if we turn up.

our away form is excellent, not sure where you got that from mate....
considering that none of those away losses have been in 2015 (i.e: since we dramatically improved), that's kind of a pointless stat to throw out there.

we haven't even lost in the league this year, just sounds like you're trying to convince yourself you'll win and using nonsense data to back yourself up:rolleyes:
Original post by TommehBoi
Huh?

My bad. I confused myself there. I meant Liverpool will be fighting with us for Top 4 Premier League position (We will most likely be 3rd/4th). and I hope we do do get past Bradford/Reading in the Semis! :colondollar:
Original post by Lúcio
And they're handing 2nd place to Arsenal.

People acting as if city are guaranteed top 4; they're the worst out of the top teams right now and it only takes another slip up before they're right in the middle of the fight.

As it stands:

City 58
Arsenal 57
United 53
Liverpool 51

If city lose today with liverpool and United winning their games, suddenly they don't look too safe.

Perhaps they'll improve but when you look at the quality they have and the results they're getting, the manager could be in real trouble.

I wouldn't go that far I still think they will finish 2nd. When you say they are the worst of the top teams you can't say they are worse than UTD. We have a chance of coming 2nd but I'm not bothered about that I want to win the FA Cup and progress in the CL.
I should be happy that we are 1 point behind City, but today is the day Chelsea won the league.
Haha
Man city are just saying to arsenal come and take second place in the next game:wink:
I was not expecting Man City to lose today lol
They are going to have it tough against barca

I want Tottenham and Man U to draw tomorrow:smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by al_94
I wouldn't go that far I still think they will finish 2nd. When you say they are the worst of the top teams you can't say they are worse than UTD. We have a chance of coming 2nd but I'm not bothered about that I want to win the FA Cup and progress in the CL.

well the form in the last 10 games is:

liverpool 26
arsenal 24
chelsea 21
spurs 20
united 18
soton 17
city 15

looking at that, i would say they are the worst out of the top teams right now :smile:
Original post by Lúcio
our away form is excellent, not sure where you got that from mate....
considering that none of those away losses have been in 2015 (i.e: since we dramatically improved), that's kind of a pointless stat to throw out there.

we haven't even lost in the league this year, just sounds like you're trying to convince yourself you'll win and using nonsense data to back yourself up:rolleyes:

Call down pal, I was only quoting the stats I had seen, away form of played 13 won 7 lost 5 away from home.

We have also won every home league game since November and won 19 of our last 24 games now iirc.

Let's not argue with each other over who's in better form, it's good for both our teams that we're playing so well :wink:

It looks like it could be one of the games of the season tbh, much better than City vs United looks in a few weeks time :biggrin::biggrin:

Also, I'm guessing the not lost away this year stat doesn't include Europe or League Cup like mine doesn't include CL?
Original post by fallen_acorns
for me, 7 minimum from those 3 games. Absolutly no excuse for anything less.. cant loose at home to liverpool who are our dirrect top4 rivals, and the other two games, despite burley today, are easily winnable games if we turn up.

Liverpool are a class outfit atm, 6 minimum but we can get 9 if we play well, I'm even starting to feel marginally confident about Tuesday too :cool:
Call down pal, I was only quoting the stats I had seen, away form of played 13 won 7 lost 5 away from home.

We have also won every home league game since November and won 19 of our last 24 games now iirc.

Let's not argue with each other over who's in better form, it's good for both our teams that we're playing so well :wink:

It looks like it could be one of the games of the season tbh, much better than City vs United looks in a few weeks time :biggrin::biggrin:

Also, I'm guessing the not lost away this year stat doesn't include Europe or League Cup like mine doesn't include CL?

sorry, didn't mean to appear hostile, just pisses me off when people look at stats instead of logic :tongue:

anybody including the first half of season and using it to predict our performances in the near future is either dumb or deluded (no offence).

i am not in any way saying i'm confident that we'll get anything from the emirates.
what i am saying is that our league form is excellent both home and away, not to mention how our defence is MUCH more solid and our attack more cohesive since we last met.

we're in better form but not by much.
you have the points on us and the home field advantage when we meet.

yeah, we're undefeated in the league this year :smile:
our form in other competitions has been a little odd - too many draws in the cups and a horrible defeat in the CL.

most of the time you'll either focus solely on domestic league form or you'll include ALL matches.
we seem to have a rhythm and focus in the league, we might slip up elsewhere but in the PL we aren't to be underestimated.
Original post by Lúcio
sorry, didn't mean to appear hostile, just pisses me off when people look at stats instead of logic :tongue:

anybody including the first half of season and using it to predict our performances in the near future is either dumb or deluded (no offence).

i am not in any way saying i'm confident that we'll get anything from the emirates.
what i am saying is that our league form is excellent both home and away, not to mention how our defence is MUCH more solid and our attack more cohesive since we last met.

we're in better form but not by much.
you have the points on us and the home field advantage when we meet.

yeah, we're undefeated in the league this year :smile:
our form in other competitions has been a little odd - too many draws in the cups and a horrible defeat in the CL.

most of the time you'll either focus solely on domestic league form or you'll include ALL matches.
we seem to have a rhythm and focus in the league, we might slip up elsewhere but in the PL we aren't to be underestimated.

Haha, it's cool, I hadn't looked at your away form in depth so didn't notice that all the losses were from last year. That being said, the away games this year have been against Palace, Soton, Villa and Sunderland. Bar So'ton you'd expect to win all those really, although obviously beating City, Soton and Tottenham is no mean feat no matter where you play them.

You can't put much weight on LC and EL matches, they mean jack **** really to a team going for top 4.

I'm half excited for when we play you, but half worried, if we win then top 4 should be all but wrapped up, if we lose then it gets a bit uncomfortable.

Still, Monaco on Tuesday, hopefully we can perform an Istanbul

Latest