The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
I've been saying this for months, glad people are finally starting to agree.

City are awful and pretty much reliant on Silva or Aguero doing something to win. Their squad is full of ageing/average players on huge wages and the manager is obviously going to be sacked in the summer. Their spending has been appalling in the past 3 years. If United can sort themselves out over the next few games then who's to say City won't be the ones who miss out?

Thing is their transfers for the 13/14 season worked a treat, but only for that season. It was literally signings that would win you a league title. Fernandinho plugged a gap, Negredo plugged a gap, Navas plugged a gap, it wasn't anything more than that. I feel City tried the same thing again but when you try to plug a gap and the gap gets bigger(i.e. the players start to age and performances from the big 3 players decline or they get injured) it ends up being hard to fill.

What City need to do is to find players who don't fill gaps instantly, but are viable solutions to their problems. That being the new Yaya Toure, the new David Silva, the new Vincent Kompany, the players who have won City games with regularity the past 4 or so years but are starting to age. Problem is they've left it too late.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by leinad2012
Haha, it's cool, I hadn't looked at your away form in depth so didn't notice that all the losses were from last year. That being said, the away games this year have been against Palace, Soton, Villa and Sunderland. Bar So'ton you'd expect to win all those really, although obviously beating City, Soton and Tottenham is no mean feat no matter where you play them.

You can't put much weight on LC and EL matches, they mean jack **** really to a team going for top 4.

I'm half excited for when we play you, but half worried, if we win then top 4 should be all but wrapped up, if we lose then it gets a bit uncomfortable.

Still, Monaco on Tuesday, hopefully we can perform an Istanbul

oh i agree, our away matches haven't been against top teams but you still have to get through the game and get the points.
not much more we can do except win.
i would just say if you're gonna use stats about liverpool, try to take them from this half of the season because it's a much better predictor of our expected performance.

precisely; although the EL would've been nice and a domestic cup would be lovely, it's clear the the manager and players all know that top 4 is the primary objective.
i think one thing in your favour is that you have united as a bit of a buffer.
i can't see them finishing higher than you this season, so even if we overtake you it shouldn't be a problem.

i know ideally you want 2nd/3rd, but even 4th place is a CL spot and this season it seems to be more important than ever.
united out of it for another year puts them in serious trouble because liverpool already have depth - once we start improving individual quality, things will get interesting.
Original post by jam277
Thing is their transfers for the 13/14 season worked a treat, but only for that season. It was literally signings that would win you a league title. Fernandinho plugged a gap, Negredo plugged a gap, Navas plugged a gap, it wasn't anything more than that. I feel City tried the same thing again but when you try to plug a gap and the gap gets bigger(i.e. the players start to age and performances from the big 3 players decline or they get injured) it ends up being hard to fill.

What City need to do is to find players who don't fill gaps instantly, but are viable solutions to their problems. That being the new Yaya Toure, the new David Silva, the new Vincent Kompany, the players who have won City games with regularity the past 4 or so years but are starting to age. Problem is they've left it too late.

A
large number of their players are ageing and they don't have the financial set up to meet FFP whilst replacing them. If FIFA and UEFA are serious about fair play, then City will become insignificant in 3 or 4 years
A
large number of their players are ageing and they don't have the financial set up to meet FFP whilst replacing them. If FIFA and UEFA are serious about fair play, then City will become insignificant in 3 or 4 years

Na they have ways to negate it.

The Lampard loan and the fact that the City group consists of 3 different clubs means that City can offload their debts to other parts of the company(i.e. New York City and Melbourne) and they can then use that as a means to balance the books.

It's a clear abuse of the system but oh well. They probably can only get so far with that though and just having the money to change the team isn't enough as City have a rebuilding job to do.
Original post by Lúcio
oh i agree, our away matches haven't been against top teams but you still have to get through the game and get the points.
not much more we can do except win.
i would just say if you're gonna use stats about liverpool, try to take them from this half of the season because it's a much better predictor of our expected performance.

precisely; although the EL would've been nice and a domestic cup would be lovely, it's clear the the manager and players all know that top 4 is the primary objective.
i think one thing in your favour is that you have united as a bit of a buffer.
i can't see them finishing higher than you this season, so even if we overtake you it shouldn't be a problem.

i know ideally you want 2nd/3rd, but even 4th place is a CL spot and this season it seems to be more important than ever.
united out of it for another year puts them in serious trouble because liverpool already have depth - once we start improving individual quality, things will get interesting.

We really have to aim for 2nd now, if things go on the way they are going it could well be us 2nd and you 3rd (or potentially the other way round). If we weren't to get top 4 now we'd have to **** up massively.

Still, a city utd battle for that 4th place would be just :eek:
Original post by jam277

Aguero looks fed up too so lets hope he gets a transfer back to Spain :colondollar:

They've got the same problem we've had/are having - the entire spine of their team needs replacing at the same time. Zabaleta seems to be on the decline too but instead of signing a young, up and coming RB like Danilo or Clyne they just signed a 32 year old on huge wages. Before that it was Maicon who again was a shadow of his former self. What is the sense in that? United get ripped to shreds for our spending, but spending £86m on Mangala, Fernando & Bony is worse than anything we've done.

They've got no youngsters to blood into the team and no HG players either. Missing out will break them.
Original post by Lúcio
sorry, didn't mean to appear hostile, just pisses me off when people look at stats instead of logic :tongue:

:wink:

Original post by Lúcio
well the form in the last 10 games is:

liverpool 26
arsenal 24
chelsea 21
spurs 20
united 18
soton 17
city 15

looking at that, i would say they are the worst out of the top teams right now :smile:
Fantastic win. I've always liked Flamini :ninja:

Lol @ City

Let's hope Spurs do us a tiny favour tomorrow

1 point behind second, tis a good day :cool:
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Fantastic win. I've always liked Flamini :ninja:

Lol @ City

Let's hope Spurs do us a tiny favour tomorrow

1 point behind second, tis a good day :cool:

I think it would be good if Spurs draw with Man U

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Peggles_*
World class substitution imo.

She said this when Wenger brought on Flamini and scored. Great post :rofl:

Original post by al_94
Burnley have no chance they will probably lose around 5-0

:flute:
We really have to aim for 2nd now, if things go on the way they are going it could well be us 2nd and you 3rd (or potentially the other way round). If we weren't to get top 4 now we'd have to **** up massively.

Still, a city utd battle for that 4th place would be just :eek:

i agree - looking forward is the way for you.
finishing outside of top 4 looks very difficult although i'm sure you'll try your hardest to bottle it like the pros you are :wink:

4th place is the aim for us, not even thinking about anything higher just yet.
like i said, CL next year is essential - we have a big squad but we're a little behind with individual quality
if we can bring in some quality, that's when we can hopefully solidify a place inthe top 4 over the coming years.
united will keep trying to spend their way out of trouble to we need to be ready when they eventually get it right.

Original post by Arkasia
:wink:

don't start you -_-
i said stats instead of logic :frown:
my stats are from recent form rather than from some random games last year when we were terrible anyway :tongue:
Original post by Lúcio
well the form in the last 10 games is:

liverpool 26
arsenal 24
chelsea 21
spurs 20
united 18
soton 17
city 15

looking at that, i would say they are the worst out of the top teams right now :smile:

Yeah they have flopped but in h2h I would say they would beat UTD, Soton & Spurs.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

:flute:

That's the beauty of football :smile:
Original post by Lúcio
i agree - looking forward is the way for you.
finishing outside of top 4 looks very difficult although i'm sure you'll try your hardest to bottle it like the pros you are :wink:

4th place is the aim for us, not even thinking about anything higher just yet.
like i said, CL next year is essential - we have a big squad but we're a little behind with individual quality
if we can bring in some quality, that's when we can hopefully solidify a place inthe top 4 over the coming years.
united will keep trying to spend their way out of trouble to we need to be ready when they eventually get it right.

We're normally strong from here on out, the issue is that City losing and us beating United has caused a sense of complacency, but if you and United both win (which is pretty likely), then we're still only 3 points ahead of 5th.

I can see it quickly going back to the 4 horse race each year of old, once city stop being able to buy their way into top 4 and Spurs will be Spurs, leaving the current top 4 minus city plus you as the standard in 3 or 4 years
We're normally strong from here on out, the issue is that City losing and us beating United has caused a sense of complacency, but if you and United both win (which is pretty likely), then we're still only 3 points ahead of 5th.

I can see it quickly going back to the 4 horse race each year of old, once city stop being able to buy their way into top 4 and Spurs will be Spurs, leaving the current top 4 minus city plus you as the standard in 3 or 4 years

it only takes one mistake like i said.
even for us.
one mistake and suddenly we're 5 points adrift.
it's ridiculously tight and the pressure is building each week.

we bottled it last year, maybe we'll do so again.
Original post by al_94
Yeah they have flopped but in h2h I would say they would beat UTD, Soton & Spurs.

you would expect them to up their game against the big teams.
but then you look at how they played against us.

we only won 2-1 but watching the match, it was laughable.
allen could literally pass the ball once and it would take out their entire midfield.
then you have coutinho running at their defence with sterling and lallana in support.

i was a tad annoyed we didn't score a few more because watching the full game, it was too easy.
if they can't up their game for the other matches, they will plummet and they'll plummet fast.
Reply 4335
there is a definite chance of winning the premier league if we can forget about champions league and concentrate on the league keeping our league form going, as well as winning the FA cup. I'm saying this looking at the performances of Chelski and ManC which dont look like title winning teams currently.
Over the last 10 games Chelsea have only lost 3 more points than us (we've got 24 from last 10 them 21).

Even if we were to beat them (which won't happen), then we would still need them to drop 9 points from 10 games and considering they only have the league to focus on now, that simply won't happen.

That would also assumer us winning all 9 of our remaining games, which again, isn't going to happen
Original post by Lúcio
it only takes one mistake like i said.
even for us.
one mistake and suddenly we're 5 points adrift.
it's ridiculously tight and the pressure is building each week.

we bottled it last year, maybe we'll do so again.

Fortunately neither of us look like we're going to slip up.

Being completely honest, I can see it not even being close, United's run in is disgusting whilst we're both on form.

I don't think top 4 will go down the last game, I think we'll be going to OT second last game of the season needing a draw to stop United from getting 4th spot (i.e. them being 5 points adrift with 2 to go then drawing and being 4 behind with one to go)
Here's a nice bit of information for you guys

Giroud is only three goals behind Costa, despite missing three months of the season.

Haters where you at

Posted from TSR Mobile
Theo did nothing to boost his chances of a start, apparently.

Latest