The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5480
Original post by drewBusby
He is turning 29 in a couple of weeks, he missed his window to shine.
Why you guys still have him on your books is a mystery.

I guess Diaby is your Fletcher?

No mate, Diaby is our Diaby. There's no one out there whose case comes anywhere close to his.

One of the things I hope Wenger explains in his book, why he's persisted with Diaby.

I swear when I go on to the Arsenal website and read the injury news I feel as though Wenger gets bored of answering questions regarding Diaby.

The latest:

"Speaking on February 27, ahead of the Everton game, Arsene Wenger said: "The only thing I must say is that he progresses well in training. He goes step by step but he has not played yet and is not in a position to play yet."

:rolleyes:
Original post by drewBusby
He is turning 29 in a couple of weeks, he missed his window to shine.
Why you guys still have him on your books is a mystery.

I guess Diaby is your Fletcher?

Nah Diaby is way better than Fletcher more like Pogba, Viera or Yaya Toure
Original post by leinad2012
Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Also, how many of your fans have apologised to Moyesh yet? Considering it is his quality signings Fellaini and Mata that have dragged you through the last few games?

#BringBackMoyes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Diaby should've done what Mouyokolo did at Wolves - terminate his contract and regain fitness by himself before signing for another club
Original post by SA-1
Was reading an article on sky sports about the potential introduction of rules regarding 'home grown players' from 2016. With regards to Arsenal:- "ARSENAL At least four changes needed Arsenal currently have 14 players in their squad classed as non-home grown: Mikel Arteta, Santi Cazorla, Mathieu Debuchy, Abou Diaby, Mathieu Flamini, Gabriel, Olivier Giroud, Laurent Koscielny, Per Mertesacker, Nacho Monreal, David Ospina, Mesut Ozil, Tomas Rosicky and Alexis Sanchez. Furthermore, Wojciech Szczęsny, Francis Coquelin and Damian Martinez would no longer be classed as home grown under the new rules. That means Arsene Wenger would need to chop four players from that list to meet the limit of 13 non-home grown players." If this was the case, which four changes would/should be made? http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9774272/fa-home-grown-rules-man-city-arsenal-chelsea-would-lose-players Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Flamini
2. Emi Martinez
3. Diaby
4. Mertesacker

I would refuse to kick Rosicky out, he said before that his desire is to retire at Arsenal, and that is an increasingly rare trait within a player. He has been as loyal to us as we have to him, so let him stay. Besides, even now he is the little Mozart. Merts is fading fast, and soon he might not even be a reliable squad player.
Original post by SA-1
No mate, Diaby is our Diaby. There's no one out there whose case comes anywhere close to his.

One of the things I hope Wenger explains in his book, why he's persisted with Diaby.

I swear when I go on to the Arsenal website and read the injury news I feel as though Wenger gets bored of answering questions regarding Diaby.

The latest:

"Speaking on February 27, ahead of the Everton game, Arsene Wenger said: "The only thing I must say is that he progresses well in training. He goes step by step but he has not played yet and is not in a position to play yet."

:rolleyes:

Probably partially because he sees enough genuine quality within Diaby to maintain hope that he might recover with a few years left on the clock. Partially because he is incredibly sentimental and acts like a father to the players (which is a negative at times), so he doesn't want to kick out someone who has been at the club for so long. Also partially because he has passed the point of no return with Diaby. If he drops him now, he will have to admit that he wasted all this time on a cripple.
We won't struggle with the new rules tbh, when you look at our team all our homegrown players are relatively young and we have a fair few coming through the ranks.

Especially when you consider the fact that the rule comes in gradually, players like Cazorla, Flamini and Arteta will be at retirement age anyway, so we won't really NEED to axe anyone to meet the guidlines
Well, it looks like it may well be the start of the end for City if these rules are actually enforced properly with FFP, can't say they'll be missed, although at least their main fans weren't *****
Original post by leinad2012
Well, it looks like it may well be the start of the end for City if these rules are actually enforced properly with FFP, can't say they'll be missed, although at least their main fans weren't *****

Or they'll find a FFP loophole and give you 100m for Wilshere Ox and Gibbs
Original post by difeo
Or they'll find a FFP loophole and give you 100m for Wilshere Ox and Gibbs

NYCFC bid $300mil for Wilshere Ox Gibbo Walcott Rooney and Cahill, only to loan them out to City....:rolleyes:
If we got a £25m offer for Santi would you take it?
Wenger clearly feels sorry for Diaby. In the end it the day this is a player that has had his career destroyed by a disgusting, needless challenge by Dan Smith in the last minute whilst Arsenal were already 3-0 up against Sunderland.

The same type of challenge that spawns equally as reckless and outdated comments such as "He's letting him know he's there" from our mainstream media (ITV, Sky and BBC pundits).

Wenger didn't want to discard him, he wanted to give him the best possible chance to recover, which it seems has failed.

Dan Smith for the record, is now without a club at the age of 28. He last played in the 5th division of the Australian league for Holland Park Hawks.
Original post by chezsu
Wenger clearly feels sorry for Diaby. In the end it the day this is a player that has had his career destroyed by a disgusting, needless challenge by Dan Smith in the last minute whilst Arsenal were already 3-0 up against Sunderland.

The same type of challenge that spawns equally as reckless and outdated comments such as "He's letting him know he's there" from our mainstream media (ITV, Sky and BBC pundits).

Wenger didn't want to discard him, he wanted to give him the best possible chance to recover, which it seems has failed.

Dan Smith for the record, is now without a club at the age of 28. He last played in the 5th division of the Australian league for Holland Park Hawks.

I don't blame Wenger, as from a human point of view he clearly felt sorry for him after what happened.

From a footballing perspective I suppose Arsene thought he could do an RVP, shame really.
Original post by angelfox
If we got a £25m offer for Santi would you take it?

I would take it in a heartbeat. Santi is a great player but 25m for him is too much to turn down we got him for 10m less than that.
Original post by chezsu

I feel very bad for Diaby. He had lots of potential and I think he is the longest standing player at the club or maybe it is Walcott I'm not sure. Eduardo is another player who suffered a terrible injury and managed to come back but Diaby is even worse :frown:
Original post by Arkasia
Dat french connection. Wenger is rebuilding.

eyy lmao

did not even clock that all 3 were french...

seemed a while back like wenger was building a german core - but guess thats sliding away now podolski has gone, gnarby is not ready to start yet, mert wont be around for to much longer.. so really its just ozil left
25m for Santi? piss off.

Bony, Lallana, Fellaini, Lukaku, Herrera? All went around a simillar price. Santi has been twice the player of all of them this season.
Original post by AR_95
25m for Santi? piss off.

Bony, Lallana, Fellaini, Lukaku, Herrera? All went around a simillar price. Santi has been twice the player of all of them this season.

-Lallana had English (and domestic rival) inflation, and he's young
- Bony had that release clause figure and oil rich club bought him
- Fellaini was a panic buy
- Lukaku is 21 and one of the brightest prospects in world football
- Herrera we got ripped off for, but Basque clubs are notorious for refusing to budge from huge transfer fees (see Martinez to Bayern for £35-40m)

£25m would be too much for me, isn't he like 31?
Original post by Depleted
-Lallana had English (and domestic rival) inflation, and he's young
- Bony had that release clause figure and oil rich club bought him
- Fellaini was a panic buy
- Lukaku is 21 and one of the brightest prospects in world football
- Herrera we got ripped off for, but Basque clubs are notorious for refusing to budge from huge transfer fees (see Martinez to Bayern for £35-40m)

£25m would be too much for me, isn't he like 31?

He's 30 and plays quite deep now anyway so I think he still has a few years in him. Still though, there's absolutely no reason we need to sell him considering he can be our back up to Ozil once the age does start to affect him.
Original post by AR_95
He's 30 and plays quite deep now anyway so I think he still has a few years in him. Still though, there's absolutely no reason we need to sell him considering he can be our back up to Ozil once the age does start to affect him.

Yeah wouldn't sell personally. Think you'd get £15m max if I'm honest but doesn't make sense to sell.

4-1-4-1 is good formation for you going into the future really. Stacked in terms of B2B players and just need quality at DM (depth in Coq and to an extent Chambers). Would say that in big games you could have 2 B2B players in front of your DM and just drop Özil.

Latest