The Student Room Group

"Strong", "independent" feminist women terrorised by clapping! Really!?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by idontevenbeth
No no I'm being serious. At conferences it's important everyone is included, and when one in three women (and one in ten men, don't know statistics for those who don't align themselves with the gender binary) have been affected by sexual assault, many are abused too, it's important everyone has a good time at these conferences :smile:

I'm genuinely confused, you're way too stereotypically tumblr to be legit. But I also know SJW's can be this bat-poo insane
It's in a conference where a lot of people who may have been abused or senseitive to loud noises might be there. Like how you wouldn't tell a sexist joke as the majority of the audience will probably be women, it's just sensible to respect a possible majority of the audience.
Also, it's nice for people to respect others! I have a fear of water dripping on my face, it wouldn't be very nice for someone to throw liquid over my head.
Respect is nice! :smile:

At what stage does it get too far?
It's in a conference where a lot of people who may have been abused or senseitive to loud noises might be there. Like how you wouldn't tell a sexist joke as the majority of the audience will probably be women, it's just sensible to respect a possible majority of the audience.
Also, it's nice for people to respect others! I have a fear of water dripping on my face, it wouldn't be very nice for someone to throw liquid over my head.
Respect is nice! :smile:

You know that pandering the people's fears is actually worse for the individual in the long run. They should be facing their fears not avoiding them.

If they can't handle loud noises they should wear ear plugs.
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Surely the priority should be helping these people overcome their anxiety and get used to things like clapping rather than just hiding from the problem. They're going to be exposed to stuff like that in the 'real' world anyway.

It's called a safe space! The people who do have the worst problems will probably be going to doctors anyway, forcing someone to go through something they don't want without a doctor or professional is dangerous. I have a friend who has seizures but I'm not going to shove a flashing light in their face.. for obvious reasons (even though they might have to be exposed to flashing lights in the real world! It's just respect)

Mental health is misunderstood, and I can understand that you find it hard to understand it too, but some people have different needs to you and that's okay! These people shouldn't be excluded from things like talks and discussions just because of their mental health. Feminism is about respecting everyone, it's not a hard concept!! :biggrin:
Original post by DiddyDec
You know that pandering the people's fears is actually worse for the individual in the long run. They should be facing their fears not avoiding them.

If they can't handle loud noises they should wear ear plugs.

I'd love you to give me statistics on that, but it's okay it might be hard to find them. I have a friend who has seizures and is very scared of flashing lights, I'm not going to shove a flashing light in her face though!
They probably might wear ear plugs, but it's nice for them to experience a talk without having the fear of having a panic attack because of sudden noise. Sudden fear isn't nice, and respecting people is the best we can do! :smile:
Original post by Zargabaath
I'm genuinely confused, you're way too stereotypically tumblr to be legit. But I also know SJW's can be this bat-poo insane

I don't use tumblr, and I'm not a SJW either :smile:
Original post by Tabstercat
At what stage does it get too far?

Too far for the person sensitive to noise? Or too far for everyone else? To the person sensitive to noise it'll probably when they have a panic attack. Nobody is telling you you can't clap outside of that particular talk! Clapping isn't being banned for everyone! Just for people inside that talk!
I assume you're not at the talk so it doesn't affect you :biggrin:
Reply 47
No no I'm being serious. At conferences it's important everyone is included, and when one in three women (and one in ten men, don't know statistics for those who don't align themselves with the gender binary) have been affected by sexual assault, many are abused too, it's important everyone has a good time at these conferences :smile:

So because you were sexually assaulted you're incapable of hearing people clap? I think that's quite degrading towards those who have suffered sexual assault.

Also not only are you using unsubstantiated figures, you're misusing them

Posted from TSR Mobile
It also gives speakers the opportunity to give their speeches without disruption while still getting feedback from the audience. If you don't agree with the safe space arguments then surely you can agree that being able to say what you want to say is definitely a good thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Yeah this is nothing to do with the fact that they're women or feminists. It's to show respect for people with anxiety disorders who might get triggered by loud sounds such as clapping.
Too far for the person sensitive to noise? Or too far for everyone else? To the person sensitive to noise it'll probably when they have a panic attack. Nobody is telling you you can't clap outside of that particular talk! Clapping isn't being banned for everyone! Just for people inside that talk!
I assume you're not at the talk so it doesn't affect you :biggrin:

I mean at what stage does accommodating for people's anxieties go too far?
I'd love you to give me statistics on that, but it's okay it might be hard to find them. I have a friend who has seizures and is very scared of flashing lights, I'm not going to shove a flashing light in her face though!
They probably might wear ear plugs, but it's nice for them to experience a talk without having the fear of having a panic attack because of sudden noise. Sudden fear isn't nice, and respecting people is the best we can do! :smile:

So if I have a fear of people coming together at a conference for instance, should that conference be cancelled out of respect for me?
It's called a safe space! The people who do have the worst problems will probably be going to doctors anyway, forcing someone to go through something they don't want without a doctor or professional is dangerous. I have a friend who has seizures but I'm not going to shove a flashing light in their face.. for obvious reasons (even though they might have to be exposed to flashing lights in the real world! It's just respect)

Mental health is misunderstood, and I can understand that you find it hard to understand it too, but some people have different needs to you and that's okay! These people shouldn't be excluded from things like talks and discussions just because of their mental health. Feminism is about respecting everyone, it's not a hard concept!! :biggrin:

Nobody really understands mental health, even those that are most informed about it. I have issues with anxiety myself, which can be triggered by some things that would seem perfectly innocuous to most people. I would never dream of asking people to avoid doing these things, it wouldn't benefit anyone. If anything, coming into frequent contact with these situations is healthy as it helps me get used to them.

I would also argue if someone's psychological problems are particularly severe, they shouldn't really be going to conferences anyway. You wouldn't advise someone with a broken leg to go skiing without first giving themselves time to heal and recuperate, why should a mental health problem be any different?

Out of interest, what's your stance on universities being made into 'safe spaces', i.e. not allowing certain speakers or topics of discussion on campus that may offend or distress people?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wade-
So because you were sexually assaulted you're incapable of hearing people clap? I think that's quite degrading towards those who have suffered sexual assault.

Also not only are you using unsubstantiated figures, you're misusing them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course, I was defiantly talking about every single person that has ever been sexually assaulted ever, every single one of them is sensitive to clapping! That is exactly what I meant!
I think it's a bit silly people are mad that there's one conference that people can't clap at and they react like "Oh no, these people can't clap at one particular conference! What a breach of my own human rights!"
Original post by Tabstercat
I mean at what stage does accommodating for people's anxieties go too far?

Again I'll repeat: "Oh no, these people can't clap at one particular conference! What a breach of my own human rights!"

Obviously if nobody is ever allowed to clap ever, that's too far. But this is one conference, one talk, one group of people. Statistically it won't be you.
lol
Reply 56
Of course, I was defiantly talking about every single person that has ever been sexually assaulted ever, every single one of them is sensitive to clapping! That is exactly what I meant!
I think it's a bit silly people are mad that there's one conference that people can't clap at and they react like "Oh no, these people can't clap at one particular conference! What a breach of my own human rights!"

So to accommodate SOME people who MAY be sensitive to clapping you have to ban it? What about if there are people there who are sensitive to black shoes? Or people who are sensitive to fat people? Should they also be banned?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep! Some people don't like clapping hands (previous abuse or other situations) and at conferences we need to be especially considerate of everyone :smile: Jazz hands rock!

please elaborate how clapping is directly linked to sexual abuse?
Original post by Wade-
So to accommodate SOME people who MAY be sensitive to clapping you have to ban it? What about if there are people there who are sensitive to black shoes? Or people who are sensitive to fat people? Should they also be banned?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's more likely (like.. a billion times more likely...) that they'll be people sensitive to loud noise in that talk. Maybe the people giving the talk themselves may be sensitive to loud noise so they've asked for minimal noise.
When I went on summer camp, there was one girl out of the 800 people who attended who had a very severe peanut allergy, so nobody could purchase or have a peanut product on them throughout the whole trip. There was a few grumbles and moans, but everyone knew that it was okay.
And I'm sure if someone had a fear of black shoes they'd make that fear known and I'm sure people would make sure that is respected.
Don't really l know how it's a hard concept, but I guess some people aren't taught respect in the same way. It's okay though! :biggrin:
Original post by Straighthate
please elaborate how clapping is directly linked to sexual abuse?

Sorry I misworded it a little, I did mean things like domestic abuse (might make more sense now!). Hope that didn't confuse you too much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest