The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Theorising about terrorist connections was not unreasonable, given he was screaming "Allah allah allah" as he nosedived the plane into the ocean.

This Lubitz guy was a mass murderer, but clearly not a terrorist. Why is that so difficult for you? And why do you bristle when Muslim terrorists are called terrorists?

Show me one example of where a "white" person has carried out a proper terrorist attack (political goals, religious/political motives etc) and not been called a terrorist.
Original post by Aj12
Yes there was brief speculation, which was then dismissed and the event declared not terrorism. In this case there was also brief speculation, but because it is now much easier to look into a person's background you can rule out terrorism quickly. We got information much quicker in this case, when there is official information the media does not speculate.

Anyway my point is that neither event is seen as terrorism, despite a Muslim being involved in one.

I wasn't old enough to remember when it happened so I'll take your word for it but I think that the speculation that happened right now about this pilot was non-existent because as I've mentioned in the OP I haven't heard anything suggesting that, nor have my parents or my friends. Beyond the knee-jerk reaction of calling this pilot suicide terrorism because it involved a plane the Egyptian one was much bigger because he was a Muslim so there is a double standard.

Original post by Olie
Well what's your definition of terrorism then, because so far I've seen absolutely no evidence from the reports or yourself to label him as a terrorist.

I know he's not a terrorist that has never been my intention to label this mentally person as a part of a terrorist organisation. My point is that the media has universally thrown out the terrorism explanation right away especially when they didn't have all the facts. The media always speculates in this instance it did not. I'm just asking why?
Reply 122
Original post by Cowan
He was a terrorist.

Accept that Chapel Hill was an atheist terrorist attack. Proven militant atheist, more proof of motivating ideology than Sydney siege. I will not be surprised if you don't.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Inb4 he's white so he can't be a terrorist

Who has ever said that, by the way?

It's just a trope made up by a particular subset of Muslims who thrive on self-pity and victimhood, and genuinely got off on believing they are under siege
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 124
Original post by s.a.u
Accept that Chapel Hill was an atheist terrorist attack. Proven militant atheist, more proof of motivating ideology than Sydney siege. I will not be surprised if you don't.

I think all religious people are loons, in fairness. But yes, I do accept that they were terrorists.

More proof than holding up a Muslim flag? I think not.

Edit: Wait, did you mean 'Except'?
Original post by s.a.u
more proof of motivating ideology

What on earth are you talking about? He killed them because of a parking dispute
Reply 126
Original post by Cowan
I hate to break this to you..... but..... he was a terrorist....

And this doesn't even address the main point of my post. Good job deflecting 👍
Reply 127
Original post by s.a.u
And this doesn't even address the main point of my post. Good job deflecting ������

The point that people labelled him a terrorist, because he was actually a terrorist?
Original post by Daenerys...
=My point is that the media has universally thrown out the terrorism explanation right away especially when they didn't have all the facts

Specifically, what acts are you referring to? What incidents are you talking about?

The media always speculates in this instance it did not.

I'm sorry but given that terrorist attacks are overwhelmingly perpetrated by Islamists, it is not bizarre or unjustifiable that when such events occur, the media looks into whether it might be a terrorist incident.

When Breivik committed his disgusting acts, the media had no problem calling him a terrorist.

I'm just asking why?

It's a conspiracy against Muslims, obviously :rolleyes:
Original post by s.a.u

There's no such thing as an atheist terrorist, atheism doesn't have an ideology.
Original post by s.a.u
And this doesn't even address the main point of my post. Good job deflecting ������

Who is deflecting? You raised the Sydney Siege. That man was a terrorist; he carried out a terrorist attack on behalf of a universally condemned terrorist organisation, in furtherance of an ideological agenda

Therefore, he's a terrorist. You raised it, you can't now say it's irrelevant because it doesn't support your conspiracy theory
Original post by queen-bee
From a previous thread of mine:

- White terrorists are part of a “fringe.” Other terrorists are apparently mainstream.

- White terrorists are “troubled loners.”

- White terrorists are random events, like tornadoes. Other terrorists are long-running conspiracies.

- Nobody thinks white terrorists are typical of white people. But other terrorists are considered paragons of their societies

- White terrorists are alcoholics, addicts or mentally ill. Other terrorists are apparently clean-living and perfectly sane.

- White terrorists are called “gunmen.” What does that even mean? A person with a gun? Wouldn’t that be, like, everyone in the US?

Non of which at examples of doing an illegal act to further a political aim and therefore not definitions of terrorism.
Original post by jameswhughes
There's no such thing as an atheist terrorist, atheism doesn't have an ideology.

It was also a stupid comment because it seemed quite clear from the subsequent news that he killed them over a parking dispute.

And in fact, when they looked more closely into his Facebook postings, he supported certain Muslim causes like the Ground Zero Mosque

It is because the initial reports play into this victimhood narrative that a particular subset of Muslims seem to thrive on that they were so quick to jump on that story.

Personally, for me this victimhood narrative, this "We're so oppressed in the West" crap is getting very old, very quickly. It's unbelievably solipsistic and delusional
Because there's no clear poltical (or whatever, I'm bad with definitions) motive.

But yes if he was non-white and Muslim, the T word would be used and suggested without knowing the motive or reason. No one would even suggest mental illness. Quite sad really.

Either way, its a tragic event.
Original post by queen-bee
From a previous thread of mine:
White terrorists are random events, like tornadoes. Other terrorists are long-running conspiracies.

That would be because they are. Perhaps you can point out a "white" (as you so racistly put it) terrorist group that has been as persistent, widespread and destructive as Al-Qaeda or ISIS.

The fact, whether you can deal with it or not, is that Muslims commit far more terrorist acts than any other religious group.

- Nobody thinks white terrorists are typical of white people. But other terrorists are considered paragons of their societies

There's no question that Islamist terrorists enjoy substantial, if not necessarily majority, support in the Muslim world. Furthermore, while not supporting violence expressly there is a further demographic of Muslims who buy into this Muslim victimhood narrative of Islam always being under attack (ironic given it is overwhelmingly Muslims who are carrying out the atrocities, suicide bombings etc)

- White terrorists are called “gunmen.” What does that even mean? A person with a gun? Wouldn’t that be, like, everyone in the US?

Can you point out a single example where a "white terrorist" has not properly been labelled a terrorist? Also, Muslim gunmen are called gunmen/murderers when that is what they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Allen_Muhammad

I have basically just completely debunked you. You should really try to throw off this conspiratorial victimhood narrative. The whole world is not out to get Muslims, we're not trying to oppress them, we're not secretly waging a crusade because subconsciously fear Islam is true.

We are fighting a war against an Islamist terrorist tendency which thrives on the same victimhood narrative that you are so happy to perpetuate, despite its total lack of foundation in fact and sanity. Indirectly, it is people like you who create the ideological swamp out of which Jihadi Johns and the ISIS schoolgirls emerge
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PopaPork
No.

Did you manage to get a dictionary?

Why don't you want to answer the questions I have asked?

Are you by any chance a muslim?

And who are these 'Big Bosses' you allude to? (you may need to look up the word 'allude' but you can do this when looking up the word 'terrorist' and 'speculate')

But it would help the 'discussion' if you were to actually answer the main point and tell us what YOU think a terrorist is

I am not a Muslim. You have not only shown yourself as a bully and intellectually inadequate one at that but also a bigot.

You even said hate Muslims because you're gay in another post on the earlier pages.

Talk about losing all your credibillity in one post.
Original post by cake_lover

But yes if he was non-white and Muslim, the T word would be used and suggested without knowing the motive or reason.

It wasn't in Egyptair 990. The general conclusion was that he committed suicide. The fact he was a Muslim Egyptian reasonably caused some investigation into the terrorism angle given, whether you like it or not, there is a serious problem with Islamist terrorism in the world. But the final conclusion was that it was pilot suicide, nothing to do with terrorism or Islamism

You even said hate Muslims because you're gay in another post on the earlier pages.

Nice ad hominem there. Bring up his sexuality. That's pretty ****ing low
I am not a Muslim. You have not only shown yourself as a bully and intellectually inadequate one at that but also a bigot.

Talk about losing all your credibillity in one post.

OK so you are not a muslim thanks for finally clearing that up for me

But who are these 'big bosses you allude to'

I said I have Islam as it is homophobic and I also hate those that choose to follow this homophobic faith (what do you expect me to do with those who would kill me for being me? but don't say bend over for them or accept them with open arms)

And still waiting for you to give us all your definition of a 'terrorist'
Original post by MatureStudent36
Non of which at examples of doing an illegal act to further a political aim and therefore not definitions of terrorism.

Also her point is utterly bogus given Muslim gunmen are simply labelled gunmen/murderers when that's what they are

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Allen_Muhammad

Latest

Trending

Trending