The Student Room Group

conservatives for or against tuition fee rise?who to vote for?

Rise

Conservatives said they would increase the tuition fee back in 2010 and now that it happens people complain about it. Why did people vote for them then?what was appealing in their manifesto

Scroll to see replies

Students make up a very small number of the voting population. Whilst on TSR a rise in tuition fees seems like a despised policy, in the grand scheme of things, most people don't care about tuition fees because they're not affected by them. Students are more peeved that they voted the Lib Dems who pledged no increase in fees, yet what did we all get? A rise in fees of course. The Lib Dems are the ones who we hold primarily responsible and accountable for the rise in tuition fees, not the Tories. The number of students voting Conservative is also relatively low compared to those voting for the more left wing parties.
Reply 2
Original post by Reluire
Students make up a very small number of the voting population. Whilst on TSR a rise in tuition fees seems like a despised policy, in the grand scheme of things, most people don't care about tuition fees because they're not affected by them. Students are more peeved that they voted the Lib Dems who pledged no increase in fees, yet what did we all get? A rise in fees of course. The Lib Dems are the ones who we hold primarily responsible and accountable for the rise in tuition fees, not the Tories. The number of students voting Conservative is also relatively low compared to those voting for the more left wing parties.

But families are involved in the decision making and there are plenty students that contemplate attending because of the fee debt and families contemplate because of the need to take a loan (although I think no-one should worry about this) but I guess we were deceived by liberal democrats.
Reply 3
Original post by Alumna
But families are involved in the decision making and there are plenty students that contemplate attending because of the fee debt and families contemplate because of the need to take a loan (although I think no-one should worry about this) but I guess we were deceived by liberal democrats.

As an ex- student, I care about other things mainly my tax bill. I don't give a stuff about tuition fees.
Reply 4
Original post by meenu89
As an ex- student, I care about other things mainly my tax bill. I don't give a stuff about tuition fees.

Who are decreasing tax?
Reply 5
Original post by Alumna
Rise

Conservatives said they would increase the tuition fee back in 2010 and now that it happens people complain about it. Why did people vote for them then?what was appealing in their manifesto

Both Labour and the Tories said they would implement the recommendations of the Browne Review that Labour commissioned.

So unless fees would get you to vote Lib Dem it was a non-issue.

The Tories said they'd introduce early repayment incentives which Labour didn't - might have attracted people to vote for them.
Even before I became a student, I fully supported the increase in tuition fees even though it affects me negatively. It seems to me highly unfair that we expect many working families up and down the country to fund higher education when I am the primary beneficiary and will increase my earning potential as a result. I believe that the government should provide favourable loans, and grants, but that the burden of cost for higher education (teaching, not research) should be shifted onto the students themselves rather than general taxation.

When the National Union of Students protested about this issue in London I concluded two things. Firstly, that the NUS is a joke of an organisation that does not understand the policy the government introduced. Secondly, that the NUS is an organisation for wealthy and middle class students. It does not represent me and when I was a student, I refused to provide funding to it (via the NUS card).
Reply 7
Original post by Alumna
Who are decreasing tax?

Everyone.

UKIP the most for everyone then;
Tories the most for higher rate tax payers
Labour the most for basic rate taxpayers
Lib Dems the most for NI payers but not income tax payers
Original post by Quady
Everyone.

The Tories for higher rate tax payers? The Tories have pledged to further increase the tax free allowance!
Reply 9
Original post by Teaddict
The Tories for higher rate tax payers? The Tories have pledged to further increase the tax free allowance!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they've pledge to raise:
- The tax free allowance from £10,600 to £12,500 (a £1,900 rise); and
- The higher rate threshold from £42,385 to £50,000 (a £7,615 rise)

Are you suggesting the Conservatives aren't offering comparatively the largest
tax cut for higher rate taxpayers?
Original post by Quady
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they've pledge to raise:
- The tax free allowance from £10,600 to £12,500 (a £1,900 rise); and
- The higher rate threshold from £42,385 to £50,000 (a £7,615 rise)

Are you suggesting the Conservatives aren't offering comparatively the largest
tax cut for higher rate taxpayers?

No. I am suggesting that the Conservatives aren't just focusing on higher rate tax payers, they are focusing on lower rate tax payers as well. And honestly, I don't consider someone on £45,000 to be all that wealthy. It's a great wage, but nothing rich.
All for tuition fees, just not 9k a year.
I'm a uni student - I couldn't care less really about 9k per year (and I'm not rich) - I'm just glad it's a loan that eventually gets written off - that's a hell of a lot better than a lot of systems, e.g. america
Reply 13
No. I am suggesting that the Conservatives aren't just focusing on higher rate tax payers, they are focusing on lower rate tax payers as well. And honestly, I don't consider someone on £45,000 to be all that wealthy. It's a great wage, but nothing rich.

I agree.

Thats why I said 'the most'.

But they are focusing on higher rate taxpayers more than any other party.

If they were wealthy/rich they'd be top rate... as it is they are only the top 15% of eaners.
Original post by Quady
Everyone.

Ummm, what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The people that bitch about 9k fees are the ones tgat don't really think very hard about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I wouldn't want tuition fee to decrease, labour and ukip is trying to be clever, they will raise some other tax or fees. Like someone said, the increased tuition fee was meant to help the disadvantage family and also contribute to grants and scholarships

Even before I became a student, I fully supported the increase in tuition fees even though it affects me negatively. It seems to me highly unfair that we expect many working families up and down the country to fund higher education when I am the primary beneficiary and will increase my earning potential as a result. I believe that the government should provide favourable loans, and grants, but that the burden of cost for higher education (teaching, not research) should be shifted onto the students themselves rather than general taxation.

When the National Union of Students protested about this issue in London I concluded two things. Firstly, that the NUS is a joke of an organisation that does not understand the policy the government introduced. Secondly, that the NUS is an organisation for wealthy and middle class students. It does not represent me and when I was a student, I refused to provide funding to it (via the NUS card).

Original post by Quady
Everyone.

Original post by zippity.doodah
I'm a uni student - I couldn't care less really about 9k per year (and I'm not rich) - I'm just glad it's a loan that eventually gets written off - that's a hell of a lot better than a lot of systems, e.g. america
We should also be clear that an increase in tuition fees has not seen a reduction in the number of poor students going to University, the reverse has happened.
If you're asking who to vote for, you probably shouldn't be voting at all.

Get educated first, then make an informed decision.
Reply 19
Original post by otester
If you're asking who to vote for, you probably shouldn't be voting at all.

Get educated first, then make an informed decision.

The most important EDUCATION is through other people FYI, not only googling the laws and policies, it's actually seeing how other people interpret different party's policies.

If i wanted to go ip dip doo, is there a law stopping me? No. Are you stopping me? No.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending