The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Best Accommodation at University of Bath?

Hey!

I'm hopefully going to attend University of Bath in September to study Social Work and Applied Social Studies. I was wondering which accomodation would be a very good choice?

I am contemplating whether or not I would like to share bathrooms, but I might have to save money.

Norwood House is sparking my interest at the moment, but I hear that it's above the Student Union, is it going to be very loud? And what is it like sharing bathrooms?

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Sharing bathrooms isn't a problem at all. I lived in Westwood during my first year and the bathrooms were always clean, usually I was the only one in there anyway and the showers are the BEST showers you'll ever use!
I've heard Norwood can get a bit noisy on Wednesday and Saturday nights but the rest of the time it's fine. If you like the look of Norwood but the noise puts you off, have a look at Westwood as this is the same price and you get the same facilities, just away from the noise (still a 3 min walk from the union though so not miles away at all!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by beautifultempest
Hey!

I'm hopefully going to attend University of Bath in September to study Social Work and Applied Social Studies. I was wondering which accomodation would be a very good choice?

I am contemplating whether or not I would like to share bathrooms, but I might have to save money.

Norwood House is sparking my interest at the moment, but I hear that it's above the Student Union, is it going to be very loud? And what is it like sharing bathrooms?

What do you think?

Hi beautifultempest,

I'm Sam, a second year student at the University of Bath.

Norwood is a very popular choice for accommodation, noise isn't a major problem there, even though you might think it will be. The SU holds club nights on Wednesday and Saturday nights, but they are aware that people will be trying to sleep in Norwood so it isn't too loud. Obviously there will be some noise but the lower floors of Norwood house also receive some free tickets to club nights from the SU as a form of compensation.

When it comes to sharing bathrooms, it is completely down to personal choice. I lived in Woodland Court, which is en-suite, but nobody I know had any problems sharing a bathroom, it might be a bit awkward the first day or two but after that it is not really much different to sharing a bathroom at home or in second year when you move in to a house off campus, when you will almost certainly be sharing a bathroom.

One key decision will be whether you want to be on campus or not. In terms of off campus accommodation, there is John Wood, which is a great option right in the city centre and buses run between there and campus regularly.

On campus there is a range of accommodation, there are more options available, including catered and self-catered accommodation and the choice of whether to have a shared bathroom or en-suite. In the hyperlink you will be able to find out more about each block and the cost of these as well. As the campus is quite small, you will probably never be more than a 10 or 15 minute walk away from anything no matter which accommodation you stay in!

Feel free to quote me if you have any other questions.

Sam
Hi I would recommend definitely not sharing bathrooms. I live in Westwood now and it is HORRIBLE SHARING. Go for Marlborogh/Solsbury or the Quads.
Original post by Msaliamma
Hi I would recommend definitely not sharing bathrooms. I live in Westwood now and it is HORRIBLE SHARING. Go for Marlborogh/Solsbury or the Quads.

What's wrong with it? It depends completely on preference. I lived in Westwood and it was fine, always clean and I always used the same shower so it was never a problem. Hardly ever anyone in there when I went to the toilet too! Also, the people I lived with were very messy so that doesn't mean the bathrooms will be too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
DONT GO TO WESTWOOD OR EASTWOOD. Go to Marlborough/Solsbury, or Woodland or the Quads.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hi there. Does anyone know whether all of the rooms have the bright green walls like on the website photos in Woodland Court? Thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by University Of Bath
Hi beautifultempest,

I'm Sam, a second year student at the University of Bath.

Norwood is a very popular choice for accommodation, noise isn't a major problem there, even though you might think it will be. The SU holds club nights on Wednesday and Saturday nights, but they are aware that people will be trying to sleep in Norwood so it isn't too loud. Obviously there will be some noise but the lower floors of Norwood house also receive some free tickets to club nights from the SU as a form of compensation.

When it comes to sharing bathrooms, it is completely down to personal choice. I lived in Woodland Court, which is en-suite, but nobody I know had any problems sharing a bathroom, it might be a bit awkward the first day or two but after that it is not really much different to sharing a bathroom at home or in second year when you move in to a house off campus, when you will almost certainly be sharing a bathroom.

One key decision will be whether you want to be on campus or not. In terms of off campus accommodation, there is John Wood, which is a great option right in the city centre and buses run between there and campus regularly.

On campus there is a range of accommodation, there are more options available, including catered and self-catered accommodation and the choice of whether to have a shared bathroom or en-suite. In the hyperlink you will be able to find out more about each block and the cost of these as well. As the campus is quite small, you will probably never be more than a 10 or 15 minute walk away from anything no matter which accommodation you stay in!

Feel free to quote me if you have any other questions.

Sam

Hi Sam,

Noticed you're living in Woodland Court - are all of the rooms decorated with the green walls? I love the sound of the accommodation but absolutely hate the colour... it's the decider between picking Marlborough and Solsbury and Woodland! Thanks in advance.
Hello,
I'm planning to firm the University of Bath for Economics. I was wondering if you could give me some information regarding campus accommodation as the information on the website is fairly limited. I was also wondering which accommodation would give you the best social life? :smile: Thanks in advance
Original post by BubblyKYP
Hello,
I'm planning to firm the University of Bath for Economics. I was wondering if you could give me some information regarding campus accommodation as the information on the website is fairly limited. I was also wondering which accommodation would give you the best social life? :smile: Thanks in advance

See the comments above haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Current first year at Bath, currently living in the Quads.

Social life and general type of people living in each accommodation block is nigh identical, it's a mixed bag of people wherever you happen to choose. That said, I would really recommend going for on-campus accommodation over city accomodation, both in terms of access to lectures (heard the buses can bea bit of a nightmare) and access to the SU and sports village for social stuff. The length of the campus can be walked in less then ten minutes, so physical location is not a big deal at all.

Having an ensuite is a luxury I've personally quite liked, but again, it's a luxury, and often at the expense of room space. The shared toilets are reasonably well maintained and from what I've heard it's not really a major trouble.

As for green walls, I know that Marlborough and Solsbury do not have green walls, I haven't been inside Woodland to know if they do. The Quads have some green fittings, but we also have moodlighting! You can change the colour and everything! I don't know why. It might be the second most confusing and useless thing I've experienced at Bath, after trying to attend a 9:15 lecture after a heavy night.
Original post by emilyp97
Hi Sam,

Noticed you're living in Woodland Court - are all of the rooms decorated with the green walls? I love the sound of the accommodation but absolutely hate the colour... it's the decider between picking Marlborough and Solsbury and Woodland! Thanks in advance.

Hi Emily,

Not every room does but mine did and I think about half of the rooms did! I thought it was odd when I moved in but within a couple of days I got used to it and didn't even notice. Marlborough and Solsbury are also really popular choices, they were intially my first choice but by the time I applied they were full, so if you want to apply for those make sure you apply early!

Let me know if I can help at all.

Sam
Reply 12
Does anyone know about the studio flats? And whether or not the ones found in marlborough and solsbury court are still in a communal flat type thing?? I wouldn't want it if it's comple isolated
I wouldn't recommend studio flats you could probably end up feeling very isolated and alone so I wouldn't apply for that. I would apply for Marlborough/Solsbury CUZ is only 5- people then you have a good chance of making friends to live with in year 2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure I entirely agree with the post above. I think that who makes friends is dependent far more on who they are and how proactive they are, rather than where they live.

It's very possible to live in a large group and isolate yourself to such an extent that you realistically don't make friends. It's also very possible to one of the people who are unlucky enough not to get university managed accommodation in their first year and instead have to live out - sometimes on their own - and yet still make great friends by talking to the people next to them in lecture halls and joining lots of societies.

I've never personally seen or lived in the studio flats, but I bet you that there's just as much team spirit there as anywhere else. They may spend the majority of their time in their own rooms, but so do I and I technically live in a group size of ~10. And yet I still know the people in my flat.

Plus, there are loads of ways of making flatmates for next year. Indeed, I'm not living with any of my current flatmates next year.
Reply 15
As long as you are in campus, it really doesn't matter where you live. All accommodation is decent, its just about luxury over money and some small preference differences. In the end, just hope for flat mates that suit your lifestyle, if not, quickly find people that do and stick with them. If its in campus, do not use distance as a factor, campus isn't that big.

Remember that even if you find the idea of sharing a bathroom/toilet daunting, you will only be delaying the inevitable anyway, so if money is an issue, just pick shared.

I do advise against catered accommodation though, unless you are absolute sure you will not be cooking much at all. It just means you are locked into a small range of places on campus which you could use even if you weren't catered anyway. The weekly "extra" you get isn't that much. Otherwise, the food is good :smile:
There's nothing wrong with living in Eastwood :smile:

I'm not sure how people can afford to live anywhere else on *just* their student loan... Bank of mum and dad I s'pose. Just don't go for John Wood - the city isn't somewhere you want to be in the first year.
Reply 17
Hi, i have firmed Bath to study Pharmacy :smile:
Does anyone know the prices of the accommodation? I am thinking about Eastwood as i have heard its the cheapest and my student loan will just about cover my accommodation! Also, how much do you think you need to live on per week to live comfortably? (not including accommodation.. just food and stuff).
Thank you!
Reply 18
Original post by amk1996
Hi, i have firmed Bath to study Pharmacy :smile:
Does anyone know the prices of the accommodation? I am thinking about Eastwood as i have heard its the cheapest and my student loan will just about cover my accommodation! Also, how much do you think you need to live on per week to live comfortably? (not including accommodation.. just food and stuff).
Thank you!

Prices are here :smile: http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/accommodation/types/campus/
I'm thinking about going to pick a course in UCAS extra at bath but John wood court is the only one left, is anyone currently living there able to give some info wat it's like,, the rooms look bare and it's not got carpet by the looks of it compared to others and there's no cleaners

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest