The Student Room Group

If You Were To Turn Back The Clock, Which A-Levels Would You Choose?

Scroll to see replies

change physics into an easier subject like ict
Original post by inthechaos
What I've done:
AS Maths
AS Further Maths
AS Physics
A2 Classical Civilisation
A2 Fine Art
A2 English Language
A2 Law

What I wish I had done:
A2 Law
A2 English Lang
A2 Classical Civilisation
AS History or AS English Lit

I wouldn't be doing a third year at sixth form if I had just picked them in the first place and I might've come out of sixth with better grades too! But I didn't, so I blew my shot at doing a law degree at a good uni. :frown:

Where did you go in the end
I do Physics, Maths and Further Maths at A2 and I dropped Music at AS.
As I'm going to study physics at uni, I'd keep the first 3, but if I would have chaged Music for Chemistry or Geography.
Original post by TheTechN1304
I'm doing German, Japanese, Economics and Politics. I quite like my a level choices, but if I could go back two years, I would've done another AS and maybe Geography in place of Politics or Economics

I've chosen German for next year and might drop it at AS but I have no idea- how did you find German A level? Any heads up? The exam board is Edexcel if that's any use and I'm projected A* GCSE :tongue:
I've done maths to A2 and am currently doing further maths, physics, chemistry and biology to A2 as well as STEP.

I enjoy all of these subjects and wouldn't change any of them.

If I have to take a third year of sixth form, I think I'd retake any A2s I didn't get an A* in, retake STEP and take AEA and also fast-track A-levels in computing, accounting, additional further maths, statistics and economics/geology and any others that look interesting. Maybe learn a language.
I take Physics, Further Maths and Chemistry, but if I did it all over again, I would take Music instead of Chemistry
I do maths, PE, biology and did Further AS.

Ask me at the end of year 12 and I would have swapped PE for chemistry all the way as some of the unis I wanted to go to wanted chemistry.

At the end of year 13 though I think in chose the perfect combination. AS further maths (even though i failed) has given me a head start on A2 maths and PE has become the subject i'm most likely to get an A in, like biology (dont find it hard but I literally cannot answer questions in the way the exam board wants us to). I know for a fact I wouldn't have been able to get an A in chemistry if I had taken it but who knew my ignorance would pay off in the end? Funny how things work out...
I love all four of my subjects but at times further maths gets hard and I just want to give up. I think choosing it over music was a good idea though!
Original post by Xctv
I'm currently in year 11 and I have picked

Maths
Politics
Philosophy
Economics

I am mostly unsure about philosophy and and maths, maths because Im not sure how hard it is at a level but I need it for economics at uni and philosophy because I don't know if history would compliment my other subjects better or not
( I chose computing, geography and law as my non compulsary GCSEs of that helps)

Are you applying for PPE?
Original post by bluebluebear
I take Physics, Further Maths and Chemistry, but if I did it all over again, I would take Music instead of Chemistry

I keep thinking about what A level music would have been like but I did further maths instead. I'm taking a music diploma though which is technically higher than a level, you could do that if you passed grade 8.
Original post by morgan8002
I've done maths to A2 and am currently doing further maths, physics, chemistry and biology to A2 as well as STEP.

I enjoy all of these subjects and wouldn't change any of them.

If I have to take a third year of sixth form, I think I'd retake any A2s I didn't get an A* in, retake STEP and take AEA and also fast-track A-levels in computing, accounting, additional further maths, statistics and economics/geology and any others that look interesting. Maybe learn a language.

How do you manage all those subjects as well as a social life and other responsibilities?
I would've taken further maths as well as History, English Literature, GovPol and Maths. Free periods are a waste of time and that time might as well be taken up with a valuable subject.
I chose Art, Design, Psychology and English language. Dropped art after 4 weeks as it was hard to express myself to a brief.

If I could go back I'd take Psychology, EngLanguage, EngLiterature and leave it there.
Reply 93
I did English Lit, Maths, Physics, Classics and Drama at AS, and dropped to Maths, Physics, Classics

I would've dropped Drama from the start, took up waaaaaay too much time (didn't help that I had to travel 3 hours a day for college too). English, I would've either kept (because I did enjoy it) or swapped it for Further Maths, and the other three I would've kept
Reply 94
I'd switch Textiles AS for Psychology or Government and Politics
Original post by peanutbutterjam
How do you manage all those subjects as well as a social life and other responsibilities?

I'm currently taking 4 A2s plus STEP.
Further maths and the maths-heavy parts of physics and chemistry are really easy and I pretty much get it automatically. By December I had three further maths modules that I could get 95-100% in and not have 4-5(5th I don't consistently get this).

So other than that there's STEP, some physics, some chemistry and all of biology that I have to work hard for. STEP takes more time and effort than any of my A-levels. Physics and chemistry it's just doing past papers. Biology I don't do a lot for, I'm just memorising the textbook and my notes and the specification and just aiming for an A.
Biology I'd need to put a lot of work in to get an A* but not too much to get an A(it's also my 5th most relevant A-level so good grades in the others are more important).

Social life?
I would have never have picked IT, worst subject ever or just taught very badly at my school!
Original post by Michael_98
Where did you go in the end

I start in September, my firm choice is UEA and insurance is Essex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ImagineCats
I've chosen German for next year and might drop it at AS but I have no idea- how did you find German A level? Any heads up? The exam board is Edexcel if that's any use and I'm projected A* GCSE :tongue:

I'm doing AQA so can't really tell you, but if you're good at German then it shouldn't be too much of a challenge. I'm not quite sure what the gap between GCSE and AS is, as I did the GCSE in year 10, but it wasn't that much harder (it's still a lot more work though). The thing I find most challenging is grade boundaries. For an A* this year, for example, I can only lose about 6 marks out of 110 (95%), so even though the exam itself might not be that hard, getting a high grade is!
I did History, Business and Sociology with the EPQ also.

I have recently firmed Warwick for BA History.

However, I wish my school offered philosophy and government/ politics and I would have taken both

Quick Reply

Latest