The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
He even did that to us when Moyes was in charge ffs.

There is something quite odd about a club with Chelsea's resources choosing to play like that. Cant think of a single other club that can afford £35m players that does that.
Cech has more chance of joining a Russian club than a premier league rival
Original post by al_94
We should have signed Griezmann if we wanted a winger. He has had an amazing season at Atletico.

I'm not too sure we need a world class winger tbh, Sanchez has LW on lock-down and I have complete faith that Walcott will come back next season strong, and that Ox will also continue his run of excellent performances when fit. All we need is a decent WINGER to take the role at RW when injury strikes rather than poverty Welbeck or a CM like Ramsey/ Ozil. Milner would fit that role perfectly, but an experienced squad winger like Mirallas would be a good option too
Original post by sr90
Also it's hilarious how some of you think Arsenal even have a 1% chance of signing Cech

Don't see why not, it seems clear that he'll get to chose where he goes and if he wants to stay in London... Would be ****ing expensive though, I'd rather we bantered Spurs off and got Lloris
Mourinho is wrong it's actually 11 years without a title
Original post by leinad2012
I think he'd be a decent cheap option, him or perhaps Milner. We're still desperately short on the wings tbh, Sanchez, Welbeck, Walcott, Ox, but Walcott and Welbeck reckons themselves as strikers and Ox is playing centrally a lot. I agree though, if you're Arsenal you need 11 very good players for a starting XI but also 2 good players in every position. Add Cech and we've got that at GK, we already have depth at both fullback positions but I wouldn't mind an extra CB Chambers just isn't there yet and none of our fullbacks play CB convincingly. CDM we only have Coq so Sneiderlain would be perfect, CM is covered (Wilshere and Ramsey), as is CAM (Ozil Cazorla). Like I say we only have 3 decent wingers, don't rate Welbeck at all but he's a decent enough 4th option. Then up top we only have Giroud, so Lacazette would be a perfect addition.

So yeah, I'd pretty much agree, Cech, Sneiderlain (or Carvalho who can play CB if needed) and Lacazette, then a few squad fillers like Milner for the wings and we'd have a VERY good squad, not just starting XI.

Everybody is forgetting Gnabry, whose already come through and shown potential, and Crowley, who will definitely be a world class player in a few years time. No need to buy more wingers unless we sell 2 (Walcott and Pod)
We needed Wilshere today.
Reply 8307
To be honest Chelsea were scoring a lot of goals in the first half of the season, and the talk of them playing boring football has only come about this last month when they had Costa and Remy injured. At the end of the day like Carragher said, they got themselves in this position where they can afford to slow down and just grind out results. I believe only Man City have scored more goals than them this season, so for Arsenal fans to chant boring Chelsea is a bit silly when despite being built on free-flowing attacking football, still cannot score as many goals as Chelsea.
Original post by LeHursty
Everybody is forgetting Gnabry, whose already come through and shown potential, and Crowley, who will definitely be a world class player in a few years time. No need to buy more wingers unless we sell 2 (Walcott and Pod)

Shown potential but isn't the finished package, Crowley is a central midfielder so I really don't get the point of including him (and he's got potential but is still a long way off). Chelsea and City have been winning hte league because they have a squad of very good players, not players with "potential". Pod, Campbell and Sanogo need to all leave in the summer, none have what it takes at this club
Original post by Zürich
There is something quite odd about a club with Chelsea's resources choosing to play like that. Cant think of a single other club that can afford £35m players that does that.

You mean with all 3 of our strikers out? Atletico play like that, even Madrid have against Barca and not just under Mourinho but Carlo too.

May I remind you of a certain game only three months ago...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/313601/stats

35% possession
50 clearances
50% the passes that Man City made that day
9 crosses to their 42
3 corners to their 16

And your lot wanted to play like that in all the big games, because guess what, it get's results. And at the end of the day, results are the most important thing in football.

Shown potential but isn't the finished package, Crowley is a central midfielder so I really don't get the point of including him (and he's got potential but is still a long way off). Chelsea and City have been winning hte league because they have a squad of very good players, not players with "potential". Pod, Campbell and Sanogo need to all leave in the summer, none have what it takes at this club

Crowley is more of a wide CAM, like how Cazorla was being played at the start of the season, so could realistically played as a wide player in theory.

Agreed though, there still needs to be an exodus at the club, particularly with the likes of Diaby, Flamini, Sanogo etc.
Crowley is more of a wide CAM, like how Cazorla was being played at the start of the season, so could realistically played as a wide player in theory.

Agreed though, there still needs to be an exodus at the club, particularly with the likes of Diaby, Flamini, Sanogo etc.

I disagree, he's a CAM maybe but he has the attributes of a play maker not a winger, but yeah, he's still 3 or 4 years off at least so it doesn't really matter tbh
Crowley is like a more attacking-minded Wilshere with a decent technique on set pieces. Definitely not a winger.

Diaby and Sanogo deserve a chance.
I disagree, he's a CAM maybe but he has the attributes of a play maker not a winger, but yeah, he's still 3 or 4 years off at least so it doesn't really matter tbh

I guess so, but still... no need to be overly frugal in areas we don't need to be... a DM and a CF is more required IMHO
Original post by al_94
Diaby and Sanogo deserve a chance.

Diaby is done for Im afraid, a very long time ago in fact...

& Considering Sanogo cannot even start games for Crystal Palace, then why should he be good enough for us... If we're looking at him as a prospect, then Akpom is more of a prospect... Scores consistently for youth team

Also, shame Afobe's looking decent, albeit for Wolves, would have been interesting to see him get some games rather than Sanogo
I guess so, but still... no need to be overly frugal in areas we don't need to be... a DM and a CF is more required IMHO

DM yes, but we haven't played with a CF all season, why would we change our system to encompass one now? GK, CDM and ST are all needed imo, realistically we'll get none as all the 1st choice options are "good enough"
Diaby is done for Im afraid, a very long time ago in fact...

:frown: He is my fave player

& Considering Sanogo cannot even start games for Crystal Palace, then why should he be good enough for us... If we're looking at him as a prospect, then Akpom is more of a prospect... Scores consistently for youth team

I thought Sanogo is injured. Also Coquelin went out on loan to Charlton but look at him now.

Also, shame Afobe's looking decent, albeit for Wolves, would have been interesting to see him get some games rather than Sanogo

Wenger obviously didn't rate Afobe and we should see how he does in the PL before we can really judge him
DM yes, but we haven't played with a CF all season, why would we change our system to encompass one now? GK, CDM and ST are all needed imo, realistically we'll get none as all the 1st choice options are "good enough"

When I said CF I meant ST haha
To be honest, I think Ospina is capable, although if a high quality GK is available for £15m or less then it'd be hard to turn them down
Original post by al_94
:frown: He is my fave player

I thought Sanogo is injured. Also Coquelin went out on loan to Charlton but look at him now.

Wenger obviously didn't rate Afobe and we should see how he does in the PL before we can really judge him

No doubt Diaby has quality, but It's a waste having quality when you only play a handful of games per season... tbh, my nan has more chance of playing for Arsenal this season than Diaby

Nahh Sanogo's benched, Pardew keeps bringing him on in the dying minutes of the game though to replace Murray or Gayle as far as Im aware & you may think this is hindsight, but I always though Coquelin had potential, but that was being played as RB :biggrin:

True, but look at Kane... Manager took a risk on someone that was banging in goals at youth level and it paid off, so don't know why we haven't done similar when we've killed off a game e.g. 3-0 up at 60th minute

Latest