The Student Room Group

Biochemistry Applicants 2015 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

I'd say Bristol, I've not seen Southampton or Birmingham but of the other three I'd say Bristol has most to offer, both as a city and as a university
Original post by BethanySawyer
Bristol, bath, Southampton, Birmingham or Exeter?? Help me decide pls

I went for exeter, it was between exeter and bath though. Exeter's biosciences building was much nicer than bath's imo, although if you want a year in industry bath might be better. Exeter is a bit more 'fun' than bath also i believe, both great unis though
Hey everyone.. Just curious to see whether anyone has applied to Cardiff to study Biochemistry! :smile:
biochem at Imperial or Bristol?? Imperial course sounds harder but more interesting. But I think I'll be happier in Bristol, but will probably then regret not putting Imperial....
Reply 444
Original post by eloiseoconn
biochem at Imperial or Bristol?? Imperial course sounds harder but more interesting. But I think I'll be happier in Bristol, but will probably then regret not putting Imperial....

Imperial if you want a more more reputable degree, mind you it may be a little more boring due to the types of students who go there (unless you're one of them)

Bristol if you want to enjoy the uni life although its still a great uni
So I have been accepted to study a Dual Honours at Keele, In Biochemistry and possibly Computer science. I was so excited to study it, but then my stuck up sister started to say to my mum, that biochemistry is for failed medics and its not a real STEM subject and theres no jobs and so on,

She did a Maths degree so I said well the same thing could be said for that, her response was that Maths is a real STEM subject like chemistry or physics.
She further goes to say that all biochemistry and biomedical , basically life sciences are all the same, (even though she doesn't even know the difference between them) most people are unemployed ( according to her everyone she knows at leeds uni who did life sciences are sitting at home). I don't understand this statement as I would be able to apply to both biology, chemistry jobs and all the jobs she could with a maths degree.

Also she's trying to be little the dual course stating thats its easy and not respected by employers which Keele uni says otherwise. I would think having two skill sets would be an advantage. However she's saying that we don't learn enough and it looks bad, which I don't see how as we would cover all the core modules for the degree. So according to her its stupid doing a dual/joint honours degree as its not apparently respected by employer and according to her I will be working in a call centre which is making my mum look down on the degree I want to do and now they want me to go into the NHS to be a cardiac physiologist or audiologists as to them its a 'secure and stable career'.

I just feel sad now, they making me have doubts and I just don't now what to do anymore.... :'(
Original post by Audiology-Med
So I have been accepted to study a Dual Honours at Keele, In Biochemistry and possibly Computer science. I was so excited to study it, but then my stuck up sister started to say to my mum, that biochemistry is for failed medics and its not a real STEM subject and theres no jobs and so on,

She did a Maths degree so I said well the same thing could be said for that, her response was that Maths is a real STEM subject like chemistry or physics.
She further goes to say that all biochemistry and biomedical , basically life sciences are all the same, (even though she doesn't even know the difference between them) most people are unemployed ( according to her everyone she knows at leeds uni who did life sciences are sitting at home). I don't understand this statement as I would be able to apply to both biology, chemistry jobs and all the jobs she could with a maths degree.

Also she's trying to be little the dual course stating thats its easy and not respected by employers which Keele uni says otherwise. I would think having two skill sets would be an advantage. However she's saying that we don't learn enough and it looks bad, which I don't see how as we would cover all the core modules for the degree. So according to her its stupid doing a dual/joint honours degree as its not apparently respected by employer and according to her I will be working in a call centre which is making my mum look down on the degree I want to do and now they want me to go into the NHS to be a cardiac physiologist or audiologists as to them its a 'secure and stable career'.

I just feel sad now, they making me have doubts and I just don't now what to do anymore.... :'(

Wow, what your sister said is a load of rubbish and it sounds like she doesn't know what she's talking about. Biochemistry is definitely a real STEM subject and it's a well-respected degree. There are jobs and life sciences are not all the same. I don't know much and joint honours degrees, but I don't see what the problem would be if your course covers the core modules for both subjects. Plus, joint honours could give you more career options and if that's what you want to do, you should do it. To be honest, it sounds like your sister just wants to put you down and make you doubt yourself and your choices, so try not to listen to her. And try not to be upset about what your mum thinks, because you're the one who's doing the degree, so it's up to you what you want to study and what career you want to do. You said you were excited to study your degree so you should go for the joint honours degree if that's what you want to do. I hope this helps. :smile:
Original post by BethFirmin
Wow, what your sister said is a load of rubbish and it sounds like she doesn't know what she's talking about. Biochemistry is definitely a real STEM subject and it's a well-respected degree. There are jobs and life sciences are not all the same. I don't know much and joint honours degrees, but I don't see what the problem would be if your course covers the core modules for both subjects. Plus, joint honours could give you more career options and if that's what you want to do, you should do it. To be honest, it sounds like your sister just wants to put you down and make you doubt yourself and your choices, so try not to listen to her. And try not to be upset about what your mum thinks, because you're the one who's doing the degree, so it's up to you what you want to study and what career you want to do. You said you were excited to study your degree so you should go for the joint honours degree if that's what you want to do. I hope this helps. :smile:

Thank you I needed to hear that, I am going to stick with the dual honours and ignore what my sister says as it seems she likes to put me down in anything I chose I want to do, even when she knows nothing about it, good luck on getting your offers :smile:
Thank you I needed to hear that, I am going to stick with the dual honours and ignore what my sister says as it seems she likes to put me down in anything I chose I want to do, even when she knows nothing about it, good luck on getting your offers :smile:

You're welcome, and I'm glad you're sticking with what you want to do. Thanks, you too. I've got all my decisions now and I firmed Sheffield for Biochemistry and Genetics. :smile:
I'm thinking of applying to do biochemistry in 2016. What advanced highers/a levels did you take? Is anyone going to a scottish university to do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 450
Original post by sweatpea_98
I'm thinking of applying to do biochemistry in 2016. What advanced highers/a levels did you take? Is anyone going to a scottish university to do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do Maths Chem Bio as a staple, and the 4th shouldn't matter

WOOOW. THis is exactly like my family! I've also chosen to do biochemistry and Computer science at Keele (albeit my insurance) and your sister says the EXACT SAME THINGS TO ME AND MY MOM! My sister also tried to persuade me to do Audiology or Cardiac Physiology as my sister does audiology now and says it is a stable career (though I decided biochemistry myself. I've formed to do biochemistry at Nottingham but I do agree to some extent that it is not easy to find a job with biochemistry and I'm thinking about changing my degree when I start uni. Your sister is just looking out for your future like mine as she realllly pressured me to not do biochemistry and instead do audiology
Where should I apply to study biochemistry with 3A*s and 7As at Gcse and BBCC at AS with a prediction of AAB or ABB?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending