The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aLittleBookWorm
Hey! Just wondering, what are the key differences between Rowancroft, Rowancroft Court and Rowancroft Mews? I'm probably going to put Rowancroft first but I'm not sure whether to put Court, Mews or James Owen Court (only a 40 week contract though) as my back up plans :smile:

Between Rowancroft and Rowancroft Mews (don't know about court) the key differences for me are:

1. Rowancroft has more modern rooms and kitchens, so does look a fair bit nicer.

2. Rowancroft is ensuite...so if you want your own bathroom this is for you...

3. Mews is CONSIDERABLY cheaper...something like £30-35 a week.

All this and more can be found by a quick google search (there's even a virtual tour) so I'd recommend looking at that.

I'm still weighing it up as although Rowancroft is a fair bit flashier, £30-35 extra per week in spending money would mean I wouldn't constantly be budgeting/worrying about money...so there are really arguments for both
I also emailed Exeter about the 40-week contracts on the Streatham campus accommodation (and James Owen Court) and they said that for the first year, the medicine term dates are the same as all the other degrees so a 40-week contract would be fine :smile:
Reply 2002
Original post by cwi111
I also emailed Exeter about the 40-week contracts on the Streatham campus accommodation (and James Owen Court) and they said that for the first year, the medicine term dates are the same as all the other degrees so a 40-week contract would be fine :smile:

Would this mean you could apply to the likes of Lafrowda if you wished...if the contract length doesn't matter? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr. Django
Between Rowancroft and Rowancroft Mews (don't know about court) the key differences for me are:

1. Rowancroft has more modern rooms and kitchens, so does look a fair bit nicer.

2. Rowancroft is ensuite...so if you want your own bathroom this is for you...

3. Mews is CONSIDERABLY cheaper...something like £30-35 a week.

All this and more can be found by a quick google search (there's even a virtual tour) so I'd recommend looking at that.

I'm still weighing it up as although Rowancroft is a fair bit flashier, £30-35 extra per week in spending money would mean I wouldn't constantly be budgeting/worrying about money...so there are really arguments for both

Thanks, I've looked at all the stuff from the accommodation site and the online tours and everything, was just getting muddled between Rowancroft and Rowancroft Court because I thought I saw Court on an open day - apparently I didn't!

(also thank you @MollyMcFly1 my laptop is playing up and I can't reply to you directly :') )
Original post by 96305
Would this mean you could apply to the likes of Lafrowda if you wished...if the contract length doesn't matter? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it does :smile: I'd recommend putting at least one of the Rowancroft blocks down as your top choice simply for the convenience of living so close to St Luke's campus, but I've put Lafrowda as my third choice and if I end up there then there'll be no issues with contract lengths or anything, simply the problem of having to get up slightly earlier each morning :wink:
Original post by Clubba
The BMBS Medicine course isn't technically recognised by the GMC yet however, Exeter have kept largely the same course structure as when they were Peninsula and they are also working with the GMC to ensure that everyone graduates with a PMQ that is recognised. Have a read of the report here. They'll most defintely get GMC recognition by the time the first cohort of UEMS students graduate :biggrin:

Just to follow on this, I had the same question when I firmed last year and emailed the GMC with the same question. Apparently there is a contingency in place wherein if Exeter does not get approved (highly unlikely when you read about how the yearly GMC visits have been going), the degree will end up being awarded by another body (Peninsula probably?) so that we aren't caught out. The other thing to keep in mind is that the degree won't actually be approved until the year in which the first class graduates, so 2018. As an international student, I was definitely a bit worried when deciding which school to firm, but when you read the GMC visit reports, you will see that the school has no "required" improvements, and just four "recommended" improvements to make. Seems like a done deal to me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Farewell Exeter! Finally my daughter has made her decision and firmed Plymouth. Good luck to you all and thanks for all the support on this thread!
Original post by Dr Gin
Farewell Exeter! Finally my daughter has made her decision and firmed Plymouth. Good luck to you all and thanks for all the support on this thread!

All the best! I've got an offer from Exeter and a couple other unis - uea and Liverpool. Why did she not choose Exeter?
Original post by Dr Gin

All the best to her! It's been nice to have you around on the threads :smile:
Original post by qwerty_96
All the best! I've got an offer from Exeter and a couple other unis - uea and Liverpool. Why did she not choose Exeter?

Well done on all your offers you have a tricky choice! She ended up with offers from UEA, Plymouth and Exeter but as a re-sitter they all applied different conditions and UEA just wanted her to jump through too many hoops to be worth it.
There were no particularly strong negatives for Exeter so Exeter and Plymouth were a close call as she really loves them both and they are obviously incredibly similar in teaching methods too. In the end, she thought that Plymouth felt more like home and students are based on campus for the first 2 years so are fully integrated with all the other students (in contrast to being on a separate campus at St Lukes) which seemed more sociable (particularly once you also add the dentistry students into the mix). Clinically Plymouth provides a great spread as Derriford Hospital soaks-up secondary care for 400,000 patients and tertiary care in some great specialities for 1.5M residents of the SW Peninsula so everything is covered locally without the need to travel/move much and, as housing is much cheaper than Exeter, it gives the opportunity to settle in one place for a few years and even consider a buy-to-let student property investment. She wouldn't have hesitated in accepting an offer at Exeter but just prefers Plymouth :smile:
Good luck with your decision!
Original post by MollyMcFly1
All the best to her! It's been nice to have you around on the threads :smile:

Thanks Molly! Enjoy every minute of med school - it flies by really quickly :smile:
Hi

What was the ukcat cut off for exeter this year?
When you apply to medical school, is Exeter and Plymouth known as one medical school?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
When you apply to medical school, is Exeter and Plymouth known as one medical school?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

They used to be collectively known as peninsula but now they've split into two separate medical schools I think
Original post by Brownclown
They used to be collectively known as peninsula but now they've split into two separate medical schools I think

Thanks!
So when we do apply for medical school, they would be two seperate choices, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Thanks!
So when we do apply for medical school, they would be two seperate choices, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes
Original post by Bloom77
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, definitely.

Plymouth has kept the Peninsula name so is Plymouth University Peninsula School of Medicine and Dentistry. Exeter has lost the dentistry bit to Plymouth and is just known as University of Exeter Medical School.

You can apply to both, the admissions process is virtually identical although Exeter expect A*A*A either predicted or achieved to interview you and their standard offer this year was A*AA. Plymouth want A*AA to interview you and then their standard offer was AAA.
Original post by Dr Gin
Yes, definitely.

Plymouth has kept the Peninsula name so is Plymouth University Peninsula School of Medicine and Dentistry. Exeter has lost the dentistry bit to Plymouth and is just known as University of Exeter Medical School.

You can apply to both, the admissions process is virtually identical although Exeter expect A*A*A either predicted or achieved to interview you and their standard offer this year was A*AA. Plymouth want A*AA to interview you and then their standard offer was AAA.

Thank you!
Congratulations on ur offer! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2018
Can anyone remember what date you must apply for accommodation by? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 96305
Can anyone remember what date you must apply for accommodation by? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's 31st July so we've still got time :smile:

(Someone let me know it I'm wrong tho please!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending