The Student Room Group

English Racism Towards Scottish SNP Voters

Thoughts? Questions?
Whilst reading many articles, and the comments left on them, it has astounded be the level of racism and name-calling directed towards Scottish SNP voters, or even towards the Scots in general. Names such as MacSturgeon (used in an official media headline) where none of her names contains a 'Mac". Insults incorporating words such as 'jock' etc would not be tolerated if directed towards other ethnic minorities, but seeing as the SNP is a threat to the political class of westminster and threatens to shake things up a bit, it is seen as completely acceptable. Sick of it

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
It's not racist to dislike followers of a political party.

The SNP aren't really a threat to the 'political class of Westminster', whatever that may be.
"Insults incorporating words such as 'jock' etc would not be tolerated if directed towards other ethnic minorities"

You wouldn't imagine that a country that has provided Great Britain with some of the hardest, bravest fighting men in our history of conflicts would be so delicate as to wilt like a flower because somebody used a term of endearment would you? because that's what it is.
I have certainly never met one that did.
OP, are you a Scot or are you another TOOOBy.....? (Taking offence on others behalf)
It goes both ways, Scottish people are often very hateful towards England
Almost all the "racism" is this conflict is coming the other way.
Reply 6
Op is right.

Apparently the scottish arent allowed to vote for who they want. They should stay in their box and do what we tell them to.

How dare they try and have a say in british politics!

This is why people who voted no , thinking we are "better together", are naive fools :rofl:
Reply 7
Original post by CGSW
Thoughts? Questions?
Whilst reading many articles, and the comments left on them, it has astounded be the level of racism and name-calling directed towards Scottish SNP voters

It's not racist to discriminate against someone because of their political beliefs.

There are far more Scottish people who hate the SNP than there are English people.

Original post by Zander01
Op is right.

Apparently the scottish arent allowed to vote for who they want. They should stay in their box and do what we tell them to.

How dare they try and have a say in british politics!

This is why people who voted no , thinking we are "better together", are naive fools :rofl:

Vote for who you want, mate. Just don't expect moderate, decent parties to give them a platform, or do anything other than obstruct them. The SNP present an unacceptable ideology - they should not expect any favours from those who oppose it.
Reply 8
Original post by L i b
It's not racist to discriminate against someone because of their political beliefs. There are far more Scottish people who hate the SNP than there are English people. Vote for who you want, mate. Just don't expect moderate, decent parties to give them a platform, or do anything other than obstruct them. The SNP present an unacceptable ideology - they should not expect any favours from those who oppose it.

Moderate and decent parties? Which parties would they be then? There nothing indecent or unacceptable about independence in the first place place. Unless you think having a more representative democracy is unacceptable? But nevertheless it was made very clear that this election has nothing to do with independence. If anything, the refusal to work with scotlands elected party and the conservative majority will only lead to more support for independence.
Original post by CGSW
Thoughts? Questions?
Whilst reading many articles, and the comments left on them, it has astounded be the level of racism and name-calling directed towards Scottish SNP voters, or even towards the Scots in general. Names such as MacSturgeon (used in an official media headline) where none of her names contains a 'Mac". Insults incorporating words such as 'jock' etc would not be tolerated if directed towards other ethnic minorities, but seeing as the SNP is a threat to the political class of westminster and threatens to shake things up a bit, it is seen as completely acceptable. Sick of it

You nasty little cyberNat troll.

What else shall you be trying to create faux outrage?

You know that the Royal Refiment of Scotland take pride in calling themselves jocks?
Reply 10
Original post by STOPGENOCIDE
Scotland another White country being racially destroyed by diversity. I'm sure Labour will benefit, with those millions of Porkistani's and Nigerian's coming.

96% of Scotland is white from a 2011 study so that's not true.
Reply 11
Original post by MatureStudent36
You nasty little cyberNat troll.

What else shall you be trying to create faux outrage?

You know that the Royal Refiment of Scotland take pride in calling themselves jocks?

haha no... I couldn't hold my outrage any longer reading the hateful/xenophobic comments, telling Scots to 'go back to Jockland'.

edit: there is a difference between the meaning intended by those in Scotland and the negative meaning intended by those attacking a group of people and their nation's political beliefs
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by caravaggio2
"Insults incorporating words such as 'jock' etc would not be tolerated if directed towards other ethnic minorities"

You wouldn't imagine that a country that has provided Great Britain with some of the hardest, bravest fighting men in our history of conflicts would be so delicate as to wilt like a flower because somebody used a term of endearment would you? because that's what it is.
I have certainly never met one that did.
OP, are you a Scot or are you another TOOOBy.....? (Taking offence on others behalf)

I am a Scot. A word's derivative meaning does not always equal the meaning or intent coming from those who use it, i.e. a lot of people online have been using it in an offensive way. I'm just saying, similar words wouldn't be used against other ethnic minorities so why the Scottish people?
Reply 13
Original post by L i b
It's not racist to discriminate against someone because of their political beliefs.

There are far more Scottish people who hate the SNP than there are English people.

Vote for who you want, mate. Just don't expect moderate, decent parties to give them a platform, or do anything other than obstruct them. The SNP present an unacceptable ideology - they should not expect any favours from those who oppose it.

people have the right to express political views, so 'obstructing' their ability to do so and completely slandering and scare-mongering them in the media is completely unacceptable and something you expect to happen in 1915, NOT 2015
Original post by CGSW
Thoughts? Questions?

Racism is on the rise from both sides of the border. This is I believe largely due to the divisive nature of both the SNP and Conservative electoral campaigns.
Original post by CGSW
haha no... I couldn't hold my outrage any longer reading the hateful/xenophobic comments, telling Scots to 'go back to Jockland'.

edit: there is a difference between the meaning intended by those in Scotland and the negative meaning intended by those attacking a group of people and their nation's political beliefs

You need to stop being so sensitive. You're the one sticking two fingers up to people saying 'wrap me in a flag in order And promise me more unsustained government spending that shafts the poor t benefit the middle classes.''
Reply 16
You need to stop being so sensitive. You're the one sticking two fingers up to people saying 'wrap me in a flag in order And promise me more unsustained government spending that shafts the poor t benefit the middle classes.''

how to deal with xenophobic comments: 'stop being so sensitive'. LOL that worked so well thanks.
Reply 17

my point is there has been a huge anti-Scottish sentiment whipped in the UK over the past year and it is only going to get worse with the success of the SNP.
Original post by CGSW
how to deal with xenophobic comments: 'stop being so sensitive'. LOL that worked so well thanks.

Me implying you're acting like a tube isn't xenophobic.
Original post by CGSW
my point is there has been a huge anti-Scottish sentiment whipped in the UK over the past year and it is only going to get worse with the success of the SNP.

No there hasn't. You need to stop reading wingsoverscotland and similar fantasy websites originating from Somerset.

We're the ones that have seen an increase in racist/xenophobic violence since the SNP started promoting a politics of division.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/447935/Fears-referendum-is-factor-in-race-attacks-on-English-people

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11079296/Anti-English-racists-terrorising-the-No-campaign-in-Scotland.html

http://m.scotsman.com/anti-english-bullying-1-1810591

The SNP have been promoting us as victims for quite some time now contrary to the factually based evidence.

The weak of mind seem to be falling for the lies rather too easily.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending