The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Any predictions for the PSYA1 exam?
Original post by K3lvin
can someone outline bowlbys theory that would get 6/6 please for a01

In order to outline this I would definitely try remembering 6 very important words:

1) Innate
2) Sensitive period
3) Social releasers
4) Secure base
5) Monotropy
6) Internal working model/continuity hypothesis

Elaborate on these for A01 and you're guaranteed the marks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 482
Original post by amberuniverse
Has anyone got evaluation of the cognitive interview?

40% increase in the amount if information witnesses provided
90% of information which could be verified was accurate
Changed perspective leads to speculation
Could someone tell me the basic ideas (Ao1 points) I need for PSY2 psychodynamic explanation of abnormality? Thanks
A good way to remember it is to use the acronym ascmi so adaptive social releasers etc and really simple brief sentences for each one should bag full 6 marks
If a 12 mark question comes up on daycare do you think if I write about the positive and negative effects of social development and then just back those points up with studies would that work to get close to 12 marks? I mean if there is enough detail that is? What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarah117
Could someone tell me the basic ideas (Ao1 points) I need for PSY2 psychodynamic explanation of abnormality? Thanks

Id represents selfish desires and pleasure while the Super Ego makes us question our decisions and makes us feel guilt. The ego tries to balance the two. Freud basically says that abnormality occurs due to unconscious conflict.

Abnormality can occur because of the ego of a person being too weak to balance out the Id and Super Ego. If the Id is dominant then a person may engage in immoral behaviour and have an anti social disorder. If the Super Ego is dominant one may have an anxiety or phobia.

Abnormality can also occur because of repressed memories or childhood conflicts which re-emerge later in life. Some events can be too painful for a child to handle and so a child may repress this memory. This could surface again if a person is reminded about the event or triggered and it could lead to depression.

Another way abnormality can occur is through the over use of defence mechanisms such as denial. Use of defence mechanisms are normal but if they are overused they can cause abnormality as it's not normal to constantly avoid issues.

I'm just writing this off the top of my head so I've probably missed out some stuff, might want to check with others to confirm.
Original post by Protégé
Id represents selfish desires and pleasure while the Super Ego makes us question our decisions and makes us feel guilt. The ego tries to balance the two. Freud basically says that abnormality occurs due to unconscious conflict.

Abnormality can occur because of the ego of a person being too weak to balance out the Id and Super Ego. If the Id is dominant then a person may engage in immoral behaviour and have an anti social disorder. If the Super Ego is dominant one may have an anxiety or phobia.

Abnormality can also occur because of repressed memories or childhood conflicts which re-emerge later in life. Some events can be too painful for a child to handle and so a child may repress this memory. This could surface again if a person is reminded about the event or triggered and it could lead to depression.

Another way abnormality can occur is through the over use of defence mechanisms such as denial. Use of defence mechanisms are normal but if they are overused they can cause abnormality as it's not normal to constantly avoid issues.

I'm just writing this off the top of my head so I've probably missed out some stuff, might want to check with others to confirm.

Thank you!! Do we need to know any supporting evidence/related studies?
Original post by sarah117
Thank you!! Do we need to know any supporting evidence/related studies?

You're welcome. Well, the only supporting study was done by Freud. I think that's an A02, that Freud has no evidence for his theory and that the only potential evidence he has was a study conducted by himself and prone to bias. Especially since Freud would write down his findings a long time after the study.
Original post by molly2947
Guys how would you format a 12 mark essay on how research into attachment has influenced childcare practices? What would you put as AO2 points? Just the studies that support the changes? I.e. That substitute emotional care whilst in institutional care must be provided, this was due to Roberson and Robertsons finding..... I'm finding it hard to structure an essay for this question

Yeah that's exactly how I'd do it! I really hope we wouldn't get a 12 marker on that though because there isn't really that much to say🙈
For a 12 mark question on the multi store model what would you write for the ao1? Would you write about capacity,duration and encoding?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kloekayne
For a 12 mark question on the multi store model what would you write for the ao1? Would you write about capacity,duration and encoding?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would outline 6 main points:
1) It is a structural model
2) Information passes from one memory store to the next in a linear way
3) Distinct separate stores for STM and LTM
4) STM and LTM have different characteristics for encoding, capacity and duration
5) Reasons for forgetting are different for each store (SM - decay, STM - displacement, LTM - retrieval failure)
6) Information passes from one store to the next in different ways (SM to STM - attention, STM to LTM - rehearsal)

I think this would be enough to get 6 marks, but not 100% sure
Original post by amberuniverse
Ughhh I hope it's not age. I found anxiety so much easier idk why
Age is annoying:frown: If it does appear, I'm going to do Poole and Lindsay, Yarmey and Anastasi and Rhodes
My psychology teacher said it is unlikely to be age for EWT, as this has come up a couple times in recent years :smile:) So hopefully not!!
Reply 494
What doeS everyone think the 12 markeR will be this year?!????
Has anyone got any links to studies for the impacts of day care on peer relations as my book has virtually no studies on this
Has anyone got any notes on research methods?? I'm freaking out about them!!! :0 or are there any useful links??

Thanks, in advance, guys! I'll try and help the best i can!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Protégé
3. You need 6 marks worth of AO1 though too.

For research I do 3 studies and 4 weaknesses/strengths, this often gets my 12, if not 11
Original post by qwerty123A
Has anyone got any links to studies for the impacts of day care on peer relations as my book has virtually no studies on this

Look up Clarke Stewart, Field and Belsky and rovine ( Campbell's a good general one too)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending