The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeeEm
I came across 2 very unusual (and possibly hard AS questions) from a C2 paper.

Attachment not found

The version you see here is my modified version which I just added to my resources.

I will put solutions up soon.

Interesting questions! The second one looks like a lot of sin/cosine rule at first glance.
Reply 2
Original post by lizard54142
Interesting questions! The second one looks like a lot of sin/cosine rule at first glance.

clearly it is but how?

solutions soon
Is this OCR?
Original post by TeeEm
clearly it is but how?

solutions soon

Q2 was straightforward, Q1 looks more difficult. Can't believe I have nothing better to do at midnight on a Saturday than fun C2 maths :wink:
Reply 5
Q2 was straightforward, Q1 looks more difficult. Can't believe I have nothing better to do at midnight on a Saturday than fun C2 maths :wink:

No it is not straightforward ... I messed it up
I missed a part
( ... the wine)
Reply 6
Which exam board is this from? Don't even know where to start with either of them:confused::confused:
Original post by TeeEm
No it is not straightforward ... I messed it up
I missed a part
( ... the wine)

Blame the wine :wink: did Q1 too now (well I think I have, seeing as it isn't a show that)
Original post by gec98
Which exam board is this from? Don't even know where to start with either of them:confused::confused:

Which one do you need a hint on? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by nobodycarescarla
Is this OCR?

not OCR
Reply 10

Original post by gec98

Original post by nobodycarescarla
Is this OCR?

amended file there
Reply 11

Both of them really!
Q1 I've never seen anything with letters and tan or whatever it's getting at haha
Q2 I don't understand where you'd start cause with sine and cosine rules you need angles and you haven't got any

Probably because it's late at night but still it's going to really bug me haha, hopefully this isn't from OCR MEI? Otherwise I'm screwed:s-smilie:
Original post by gec98
Both of them really!
Q1 I've never seen anything with letters and tan or whatever it's getting at haha
Q2 I don't understand where you'd start cause with sine and cosine rules you need angles and you haven't got any

Probably because it's late at night but still it's going to really bug me haha, hopefully this isn't from OCR MEI? Otherwise I'm screwed:s-smilie:

Q1: You can find alpha directly as it is given to you. Use this to form an equation in beta and gamma (angles in a triangle add up to...)

Q2: The only way you can find the area of ABD is using the area sine rule, so you need to find the angle at B.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Q1: You can find alpha directly as it is given to you. Use this to form an equation in beta and gamma (angles in a triangle add up to...)

Q2: The only way you can find the area of ABD is using the area sine rule, so you need to find the angle at B.

That's great thanks got Q2 now but Q1 is a mystery haha! If this came up in a C2 exam I may cry!:colondollar:
Original post by gec98
That's great thanks got Q2 now but Q1 is a mystery haha! If this came up in a C2 exam I may cry!:colondollar:

How much progress have you made on Q1? :smile: these definitely wouldn't be in a C2 exam don't worry!
Reply 15
How much progress have you made on Q1? :smile: these definitely wouldn't be in a C2 exam don't worry!

Worked out alpha but for beta and gamma I just don't understand how you get them? I'm not your A* maths candidate so it's probably out of my reach:redface:
Original post by gec98
Worked out alpha but for beta and gamma I just don't understand how you get them? I'm not your A* maths candidate so it's probably out of my reach:redface:

Of course its not out your reach!
Reply 17

these are from an actual UK 2014 exam!!!

the second question I have made harder by removing one structured part.
(LOOK AT THE AMENDED FILE in post 1)
Original post by TeeEm
these are from an actual UK 2014 exam!!!

the second question I have made harder by removing one structured part.
(LOOK AT THE AMENDED FILE in post 1)

Are they?! They look like questions you might get on an AEA paper. What is the difference in Q2? My laptop has died can't see the original pdf.
Reply 19
Are they?! They look like questions you might get on an AEA paper. What is the difference in Q2? My laptop has died can't see the original pdf.

Q2 is very very hard.

It is asking in part (a) to find AD
then the area of ADB.

look at it tomorrow sometime and you are fresher.

Latest