The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fudgeboy989
What are the explanations for why memory improvement techniques work? I know its because of organisation and the dual processing, but how does it work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you won't be asked how they work really, for example it'll most likely be an application question on what they are, so if you use loci for example, just add at the end the room acts as a trigger to remember the word, also by combining the room and the word it is giving it meaning so it's more likely to enter the LTM
Original post by hpiercey3
Sorry really quickly could you outline the Jacobs and Conrad study, as I don't have either of them? My teacher said I didn't need to know anything like this, only the basics like the models and EWT :frown:

Jacobs study was on capacity. He used the dual span technique so he gave particpants a small amount of digits to remember and letters and asked them to recall it. He then added a letter and a digit each time participants recalled it correctly. He found that capacity is then 5-9 items. I can't remember Conrad I need to look at it myself.
Original post by fudgeboy989
What are the explanations for why memory improvement techniques work? I know its because of organisation and the dual processing, but how does it work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

by elaborative rehearsal & organisation
can also use paivo study on dual-coding hypothesis
Have you got any tips on how to get the higher marks, I seem to know most studies etc but I'm still nervous, how do I elaborate on points etc.
Original post by Tylerrrrr
What studies are you using for institutionalisation, Rutter + tizard and Hodges?

Posted from TSR Mobile

im using spitz (anaclitic depression), skeels (iq), hodges &tizard and quinton (parenting)
Original post by Oiseaux
I think the Working Memory Model is more likely to come up compared to the Multi Store Model, since the last time WMM made an appearance as a 12 marker was in Jan 11, whereas the MSM was more recent. But then institutionalisation hasn't come up since June 10...

I'm mostly going over my 12 markers for WMM, institutionalisation and learning theory.

i personally think WWM, privation, institutionalisation or attachment theories
Original post by Madiah123
I'm struggling on this too! Basically evolutionary theorists propose there is a sensitive period where attachment can form with Bowlby proposing this occurs the 3-4 month mark and with attachment more difficult in the months that follow

he changed the name of it from critical to sensitive because of criticisms
Original post by Marli-Ruth
can anyone give me a brief overview of content analysis??

converts qualitative data to quantitative data through finding themes in interview transcripts
''Explain how research into attachment has influenced childcare practices'' (12 marks)

What would I have to write about day care? My teacher gave us a sheet with loads of day care studies which are only a few sentences long and I don't even know how to explain their influence on childcare practices. I know what features make a good day care eg low staff turnover but the studies we learnt don't back that up. Help?
Original post by SunDun111
Jacobs study was on capacity. He used the dual span technique so he gave particpants a small amount of digits to remember and letters and asked them to recall it. He then added a letter and a digit each time participants recalled it correctly. He found that capacity is then 5-9 items. I can't remember Conrad I need to look at it myself.

Thank you that really helped! I suppose i should go over all these little bits, they might just come up.. Good luck for tomorrow! :smile:
Is Yarmey's study enought to get 6 marks for A01 on age and EWT? Could you use Christiansen and Hubinette as an opposing research finding for A02?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For day care what studies would i use because my teacher is rubbish and i have no idea!
Reply 772
Haha thanks :biggrin: I'm feeling confident, hopefully there isn't a 12 marker on day care and I should be okay!
Original post by Fleming1928
''Explain how research into attachment has influenced childcare practices'' (12 marks)

What would I have to write about day care? My teacher gave us a sheet with loads of day care studies which are only a few sentences long and I don't even know how to explain their influence on childcare practices. I know what features make a good day care eg low staff turnover but the studies we learnt don't back that up. Help?

Don't think this will be a 12 marker, will it?
Original post by MW-19--

Nah its usually a 4 marker

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MW-19--

This website posted predictions about possible 12 markers, and the question I wrote was one of them :frown:

http://www.loopa.co.uk/as-psychology-2015-psya1-exam-predictions-aqa/
Original post by Tylerrrrr
Nah its usually a 4 marker

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if it was a 4 marker, how would I answer it?
Original post by Fleming1928
Even if it was a 4 marker, how would I answer it?

I would use Penelope Leach et al
-1200 children and families from North London and Oxfordshire
-Interviews when babies were 3 months, 10 months, 18 months and 36 months
Found: - Care under mothers had significant advantage
- High staff turnover = disadvantage and daycares need a high staff:child ratio
For Robertson and Robertson, do you define each of PDD and then say when John displayed each?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My notes don't have any specific studies on Institutionalisation (or whatever it's called) or Privation.
Is an example of privation Curtiss' study of Genie and also the Czech twins?
What studies are there of institutionalisation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending