Original post by the bear
it was hushed up

Private message?
Original post by bahjat93
Private message?

we are not allowed to talk about it at all :redface:
it was hushed up

**** was that guy who sadly killed himself (Patrick Bateman was it?) negged into doing it?! :frown:
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
**** was that guy who sadly killed himself (Patrick Bateman was it?) negged into doing it?! :frown:

Erm Smash...Patrick Bateman is the serial killer villain in American Psycho :rofl:
I wasn't here when it was red negs, but I prefer there not to be. I'd rather someone respond to my post than simply go f u and thumb it down without any thought or debate. Especially as the thread progresses and they 'might' change their view, or if the user hadn't had the chance to explain (or clearly express) the points in the post which the thumberdown person could end up agreeing with anyway. Because, you know, people can be too quick to jump the gun on here :smile: xx
Original post by somemightsay888
Erm Smash...Patrick Bateman is the serial killer villain in American Psycho :rofl:

I know :tongue: will be watching sometime over summer with any luck :biggrin:

Spoiler

we are not allowed to talk about it at all :redface:

Original post by MagicNMedicine
Fullofsurprises has been posting on the election forum.

A few names from the past that I remember:

Fleece
flugestuge
gradjobplease
Bubbles De Milo

and Brown Patrick Bateman, who sadly committed suicide

Apologies to both of you for the quote-in. The odds of this being the reason negs were removed are quite high :frown: I don't wish to be disrespectful to his family.
@ anyone feeling butt hurt about negs on a god damn forum and even being stupid enough to attribute it to "bullying" lel. Go outside and get a life.
Original post by Ice Constricter
@ anyone feeling butt hurt about negs on a god damn forum and even being stupid enough to attribute it to "bullying" lel. Go outside and get a life.

seriously I think a depressed guy may have committed suicide after being bullied by trolls and negs, and that's why they removed it. Everyone has hushed up about it, and I don't want to spread a horrible rumour on something so awful, this is just a theory.
seriously I think a depressed guy may have committed suicide after being bullied by trolls and negs, and that's why they removed it. Everyone has hushed up about it, and I don't want to spread a horrible rumour on something so awful, this is just a theory.

Errm, I haven't been active on here much or posted consistently in like 2 years so I'm not exactly "clued up" on the latest events/incidents on this site. But IIRC, negs were removed around the fall of 2013, so this supposed "suicide" had to have taken place sometime before then and rumours about the incident should have been rampant. They weren't. It wouldn't take 1-2 years for this incident to finally come to light and then suddenly become all hush hush. You know how peeps on here have big mouth's.Rumours would have spread faster than aids in a gay orgy fest.

And its not like this is the only forum that used to have a reputation system. Literally every other forum I've been on had it often with much harsher realities. The most any single person could neg on here was about -9 or -10. I currently post on a forum where the most powerful users have 300,000 rep points (I have about 14,000 myself) and they could neg you and take away 50-80 points of your reputation all in one swoop. There would be mass suicides weekly if this was the case. Plus, at the end of the day, its just a god damn forum. I mean, wow, you got negged? Cry me a river lel or tell that to the homeless orphan on the other side of the world that has to fend for himself and his 2 little brothers in order to survive. #FirstWorldProblems.

Also, no other person in this thread acknowledged this or even alluded to this aside from "The Bear" who I still remember for being a notorious troll. So excuse me if I'm not buying this rumour.

But like I said, if this true (and you have to be a pretty disgusting individual to troll about something like this which is why I'm even questioning myself here) then I apologize and take back everything I said.
(edited 8 years ago)
The reason for neg rep being removed is well documented and has been debated to death. Its removal has had an overall positive effect on the site.

Along with the abolition of the General Discussion forum, it's probably my greatest achievement during my tenure on the team.
Original post by Mad Vlad
The reason for neg rep being removed is well documented and has been debated to death. Its removal has had an overall positive effect on the site.

Along with the abolition of the General Discussion forum, it's probably my greatest achievement during my tenure on the team.

Yes, now we can talk generally everywhere! :ahee:

Hi Vlad, is Bear lying about this tragic incident which is being covered up?

edit: appears that the suicide occurred long before the removal of neg rep...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Negs discouraged people from being honest. People who seeked positive reputation would have to tread on egg-shells to not post anything that might offend someone while those who seeked negative reputation would post offensive things just to get more red gems.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
Hi Vlad, is Bear lying about this tragic incident which is being covered up?

edit: appears that the suicide occurred long before the removal of neg rep...

Someone committed suicide over negrep??
Original post by Exon
Someone committed suicide over negrep??

no, I think I got this one wrong.
Along with the abolition of the General Discussion forum

Reply 37
Original post by NeverTooLatte
I wasn't here when it was red negs, but I prefer there not to be. I'd rather someone respond to my post than simply go f u and thumb it down without any thought or debate. Especially as the thread progresses and they 'might' change their view, or if the user hadn't had the chance to explain (or clearly express) the points in the post which the thumberdown person could end up agreeing with anyway. Because, you know, people can be too quick to jump the gun on here :smile: xx

Back in my day (I am only 21 but like to act like i'm in my retirement age), people would normally neg you to show that they disagreed with you then post their opinion. The more red that you were, the more of an opinionated person you were. It made a clear distinction from the "general user" to the "real" people who weren't scared to make their voices that were different heard.
Also it kind of told you who the trolls were hahaha. Now it's just all greens. I feel like the last human on on MARS (i am the only guy that has reds :P)

So i can blame you for not achieving my life time goal of -1000 points :frown:

Original post by Exon
Negs discouraged people from being honest. People who seeked positive reputation would have to tread on egg-shells to not post anything that might offend someone while those who seeked negative reputation would post offensive things just to get more red gems.

People who were in the red didn't really care about reputation tbh. Also as far as i remember if you were as far as in the red as i am in, your reputation litterally meant nothing. You could thumbs up a guy on all his posts and it wouldn't make a difference.
Reply 38
Original post by bahjat93
People who were in the red didn't really care about reputation tbh. Also as far as i remember if you were as far as in the red as i am in, your reputation litterally meant nothing. You could thumbs up a guy on all his posts and it wouldn't make a difference.

Yeah your reps wouldn't count for anything. That doesn't mean people didn't care though. Some people made a name for themselves simply for having a ton of red gems (Imsoacademic, Dalek1099, Isambard Kingdom Brunel, etc).
I think it's much much better without the neg rep.

It removes an "unfriendly" aspect of the website.

Quick Reply

Latest