The Student Room Group

How did Surrey become a top 10 university?

I don't mean to offend anyone who studies there, but I am confused as to how Surrey has jumped into the top 10 in the Guardian and Complete league tables; the latter being one that is generally thought of somewhat reliable.

Whereas non-Russell Group 1960s unis in the top 10, such as Bath and Lancaster, have been floating around the top 10 for a while, I am pretty sure Surrey was in the 20s or 30s up until now.

How did it make such a jump in two league tables?
Original post by Lady Comstock
I don't mean to offend anyone who studies there, but I am confused as to how Surrey has jumped into the top 10 in the Guardian and Complete league tables; the latter being one that is generally thought of somewhat reliable.

Whereas non-Russell Group 1960s unis in the top 10, such as Bath and Lancaster, have been floating around the top 10 for a while, I am pretty sure Surrey was in the 20s or 30s up until now.

How did it make such a jump in two league tables?

I don't think one can reasonably call a university of the 'top 10' because of a couple of rankings. If we entertain the idea of ranking universities at all, then it should always be relative to a particular interest; there is no singular master ranking of import to all judgements of a university. The Guardian and Complete rankings heavily weight student satisfaction. While that is doubtlessly a vital measure for many people considering a university, it should not be confused with the academic quality or 'prestige' of the university. Edinburgh, for example, is ranked 18th and 20th in those tables because of its low student satisfaction score. Yet when one ranks universities by entry standards or research quality, it moves up to the top ten. Bristol similarly jumps up on those measures (ranked 15th and 34th overall). Depending on how you weight those factors, Surrey or Edinburgh and Bristol would be more attractive.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending