The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Uni of Surrey accommodation

Hello!

I'm starting my studies at Surrey next year and I'm choosing my accommodation. I'm picking a band C, but I'm not sure which one to pick as the accommodation tours and reviews are pretty outdated online, and it looks like Stag Hill Court got refurbished so I'm just gonna put what I'm looking for and hope someone replies!

- I prefer quiet, I know I wont find that anywhere so if I can avoid the party places thats good enough!
- Nice outside area + can get natural light
- Nice on the inside
- Smaller dorm size (6-10)

Also do Stag Hill Court rooms actually have the wardrobes outside the room??

Thank you for reading!
Gus.
Original post by gustiernan
Hello!

I'm starting my studies at Surrey next year and I'm choosing my accommodation. I'm picking a band C, but I'm not sure which one to pick as the accommodation tours and reviews are pretty outdated online, and it looks like Stag Hill Court got refurbished so I'm just gonna put what I'm looking for and hope someone replies!

- I prefer quiet, I know I wont find that anywhere so if I can avoid the party places thats good enough!
- Nice outside area + can get natural light
- Nice on the inside
- Smaller dorm size (6-10)

Also do Stag Hill Court rooms actually have the wardrobes outside the room??

Thank you for reading!
Gus.

Hello Gus,

With regards to outdoor spaces the rooms/flats themselves don't have a garden or rooftop terrace however there are lots out outdoor spaces such as the lake.

All rooms are fully furnished with a bed, desk, chair, reading lamp, bookshelf. Some rooms will also have a washbasin in them but it depends on the court

From what I've heard and seen in Band C accommodation, you'll share a kitchen and bathroom with around 7-15 other students and that the number of toilets and showers are adjusted to the number of people. For Stag Hill court the wardrobes are outside the room but you only have to share a bathroom with one other person.

For more information you find details about the accomodation on the university's webpages here:
Band C accommodation | University of Surrey
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/our-accommodation/single (Band C accomodation).

You can find the webpage that contains information on the different and other types of accommodation here:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation, https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/our-accommodation

When I applied for accommodation I mentioned in my application that I wanted to live in quite accommodation (as I personally can't deal with loud noises) so I think that you can request for this in your application. However AFAIK when applying for accomodation you can only choose the band and not the actual court (random allocation). So whether you have natural sunlight or not depends on what direction the rooms are facing as opposed to the court location of the room.

One of our students stayed at Cathedral Court and found it to be mostly quiet.

I hope that this answers some of your questions if you have any more then feel to ask them or you can contact the university's accommodation team for better clarification:
https://accommodation.surrey.ac.uk/contact-us

Imane
Second-Year Languages Student
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Hi Gus (@gustiernan)
Congratulations on firming Surrey as your choice! We hope to see you on campus soon. I just wanted to attach more information/links that you may find helpful.

I lived on campus in my first and second years on the Manor Park campus (Band D). I know a few friends who lived on the Stag Hill Campus (Band C and D).

When applying for accommodation, all students can select specific requirements such as being placed in quieter, alcohol-free, or single-sex flats. We've recently refurbished many of our Band C accommodations on campus. Have you been to any of our offer holder days? We provide tours around campus and on our accommodation. If not, don't worry! You can view some of our accommodations here: University of Surrey Accommodation Tour (360marketinglab.org.uk) and find out more here: Overview of accommodation | University of Surrey

We also have an app you can download to view our campus virtually, which can be found here for Apple devices: Uni Surrey Virtual Tour on the App Store (apple.com)

Most of our Band C flats house between 6-14 students per flat, but you can put a small comment on your application to specify that you wish to share with 6-10.

As for wardrobes on Stag Hill Court, it looks like they are separate from the bedroom, however, they should have a lock on them.

I hope that answers your questions. Please feel free to post again if you have any other questions and one of us will get back to you as soon as possible.

All the best,
Daniel
BSc Accounting and Finance
University of Surrey
Reply 3
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi Gus (@gustiernan)
Congratulations on firming Surrey as your choice! We hope to see you on campus soon. I just wanted to attach more information/links that you may find helpful.
I lived on campus in my first and second years on the Manor Park campus (Band D). I know a few friends who lived on the Stag Hill Campus (Band C and D).
When applying for accommodation, all students can select specific requirements such as being placed in quieter, alcohol-free, or single-sex flats. We've recently refurbished many of our Band C accommodations on campus. Have you been to any of our offer holder days? We provide tours around campus and on our accommodation. If not, don't worry! You can view some of our accommodations here: University of Surrey Accommodation Tour (360marketinglab.org.uk) and find out more here: Overview of accommodation | University of Surrey
We also have an app you can download to view our campus virtually, which can be found here for Apple devices: Uni Surrey Virtual Tour on the App Store (apple.com)
Most of our Band C flats house between 6-14 students per flat, but you can put a small comment on your application to specify that you wish to share with 6-10.
As for wardrobes on Stag Hill Court, it looks like they are separate from the bedroom, however, they should have a lock on them.
I hope that answers your questions. Please feel free to post again if you have any other questions and one of us will get back to you as soon as possible.
All the best,
Daniel
University of Surrey
Hello!
Thank you for the reply, I have submitted my application but I did not see any place where I can request to share with 6-10 people rather than 14. Do you happen to know if I would be able to edit the application online or by calling the uni?
Please let me know!
Original post by gustiernan
Hello!
Thank you for the reply, I have submitted my application but I did not see any place where I can request to share with 6-10 people rather than 14. Do you happen to know if I would be able to edit the application online or by calling the uni?
Please let me know!
Hi Gus (@gustiernan)
My apologies for my late response. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that you will be in a flat with fewer students. There should have been a section on the application form to add comments on your preferences/requirements. Once submitted, it will no longer be possible to make any changes to your application online. I would recommend calling or emailing the accommodation team to enquire further . Here’s their email address: [email protected] and phone number: 01483 682466

I hope that helps.
All the best,
Daniel
University of Surrey
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hello Gus,
With regards to outdoor spaces the rooms/flats themselves don't have a garden or rooftop terrace however there are lots out outdoor spaces such as the lake.
All rooms are fully furnished with a bed, desk, chair, reading lamp, bookshelf. Some rooms will also have a washbasin in them but it depends on the court
From what I've heard and seen in Band C accommodation, you'll share a kitchen and bathroom with around 7-15 other students and that the number of toilets and showers are adjusted to the number of people. For Stag Hill court the wardrobes are outside the room but you only have to share a bathroom with one other person.
For more information you find details about the accomodation on the university's webpages here:
Band C accommodation | University of Surrey
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/our-accommodation/single (Band C accomodation).
You can find the webpage that contains information on the different and other types of accommodation here:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation, https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/our-accommodation
When I applied for accommodation I mentioned in my application that I wanted to live in quite accommodation (as I personally can't deal with loud noises) so I think that you can request for this in your application. However AFAIK when applying for accomodation you can only choose the band and not the actual court (random allocation). So whether you have natural sunlight or not depends on what direction the rooms are facing as opposed to the court location of the room.
One of our students stayed at Cathedral Court and found it to be mostly quiet.
I hope that this answers some of your questions if you have any more then feel to ask them or you can contact the university's accommodation team for better clarification:
https://accommodation.surrey.ac.uk/contact-us
Imane
Second-Year Languages Student

Hi, unrelated, but how are you finding languages at surrey?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending