The Student Room Group

Geog2 AQA Geographical Skills 15th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geegee1
I have been looking over past papers and it looks like after around June 2010 they hasn't been many or any questions that ask statistical skills such as arithmetic mean, spearman rank & inter-quartile range? did some of them get taken away from the specification or?

Interquartile range, mean, median etc & Choropleths came up last year & the likelihood is that they just haven't been used yet as we are still studying spearmans rank.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
any way of learning figures from individual fieldwork? My numbers are so weird and mixed up I have no idea where to start. I hope no questions with "using your results" come up because that's a guaranteed fail.
Reply 42
What was your individiual fieldwork about? Out of the past papers I've done I've never had to answer a long answer question usingmy results only so I wouldn't worry too much about learning loads. My enquiry was on how rivers change downstream so I've just learned two results from my spearmans rank tests for velocity and hydraulic radius, that's all. You don't need to spent lots of time reciting figures I don't think!:smile:
Original post by Katie97
Hi! Same here, have a B but going for an A! I'm hoping for population too as it's easier to wing considering I've not gone over any population/rivers work from last year. :cry2: I've just been going through past papers, I'm so worried that they'll ask a question from the unit 1 specification like 'how are meanders formed'

it probably won't ask about meanders anyway because meanders came up on the unit 1 exam yesterday!
Original post by MW-19--
Confused:

We did fieldwork (in a river) so on rivers...

Does this mean if it's on population, we wont need to talk about fieldwork?

no, there are 2 sections, the first is the skills which is based on either rivers or population, so looking at graphs and describing trends etc.. whereas the second section is based upon your fieldwork
Original post by SubwayLover1
There was a question asking how we collected secondary data???

How would you answer this!

My teacher told me to make something up about how we compared our results to previous years which helped us gain a better understanding of our aim etc.. As we didn't use any secondary data

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
How is everyone revising for tomorrow's GEOG2 paper? And what do you think it will be on? Rivers or Population? I'm secretly hoping for population!
Can someone please mark my answer?

Q: Summarise the main findings of your fieldwork investigation (4)

Ans:
The main findings of my fieldwork investigation suggested that bed load size decreases downstream this could be due to the increase velocity which allows the river to pickup heavier and larger sediments. For example, golden clough which is a 1st order stream has an average velocity of around 18 m/s and the angularity decreased from 65% to 47%. Similarly, a 2nd order stream Grindsbrook the angularity decreased from 53% to 20% where the velocity was at 20 m/s. The angularity nearly doubled for Golden Clough from 28% to 58%. The results suggest that sediment found downstream will have been broken down into smaller pieces of sediments through erosional processes such as attrition and abrasion
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sandybeach1996
any way of learning figures from individual fieldwork? My numbers are so weird and mixed up I have no idea where to start. I hope no questions with "using your results" come up because that's a guaranteed fail.

Mine's on the change in beach width, beach volume, pebble roundness and pebble long axis along a beach so I've just learnt my 4 Spearman's Rank values and our one anomaly. You don't really need to know your results in too much detail, I wouldn't worry about learning all your results
Anyone have any good revision websites I can use to go over the population and rivers sections for this exam? I'm reaking this paper and I completely forgot that I'd have to go over these topics again so I gave away my AS revision guide -_-
How are we actually supposed to revise for this exam? (I'm self teaching at home so its pretty confusing as its skills based.)
Thank you 😊
Original post by FREYA2898
Can someone please mark my answer?

Q: Summarise the main findings of your fieldwork investigation (4)

Ans:
The main findings of my fieldwork investigation suggested that bed load size decreases downstream this could be due to the increase velocity which allows the river to pickup heavier and larger sediments. For example, golden clough which is a 1st order stream has an average velocity of around 18 m/s and the angularity decreased from 65% to 47%. Similarly, a 2nd order stream Grindsbrook the angularity decreased from 53% to 20% where the velocity was at 20 m/s. The angularity nearly doubled for Golden Clough from 28% to 58%. The results suggest that sediment found downstream will have been broken down into smaller pieces of sediments through erosional processes such as attrition and abrasion

Sounds good :smile:

I would just add if you found any anomalies (make it up ) :P
if a question came up asking why you used a statistical method to analyse your results (e.g. spearmans rank) what would you say?!
Also I'm really bad at describing data to get all the marks, does anyone have any tips??
(edited 8 years ago)
How much depth do we need to go into population and rivers in revision? I'm pretty sure a lot of it is just interpreting maps and graphs isn't it?
Original post by edwardsheeran
How much depth do we need to go into population and rivers in revision? I'm pretty sure a lot of it is just interpreting maps and graphs isn't it?

Yeah just read over it once and then skim read it before the exam in the morning, don't need to know case studies mainly just about flooding factors, migration and population pyramids. That sort of thing, no case studies needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone else left their revision for this exam to today? i figure as long as i memorise the answers for section 2 it should be fine
Original post by anniesmith007
anyone else left their revision for this exam to today? i figure as long as i memorise the answers for section 2 it should be fine

Yeah me but I have no idea how to revise for tomorrow. I also don't know what could come up and I'm bricking it! :frown:

Any tips? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Columbo97
Yeah me but I have no idea how to revise for tomorrow. I also don't know what could come up and I'm bricking it! :frown:

Any tips? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

well I did a few past paper questions from section 1 but tbh I find them so dull and quite easy so haven't really done many - been through the CGP though to go over the statistical tests which was quite good and simple. Section 2 my teacher literally did a detailed example answer for all the possible questions so really just copying these out over and over again until it is all in my head haha
Original post by anniesmith007
well I did a few past paper questions from section 1 but tbh I find them so dull and quite easy so haven't really done many - been through the CGP though to go over the statistical tests which was quite good and simple. Section 2 my teacher literally did a detailed example answer for all the possible questions so really just copying these out over and over again until it is all in my head haha

Could you be a complete saviour and copy it out one time in here??? I'm really struggling with this paper :frown:

Thank you!
Original post by Columbo97
Could you be a complete saviour and copy it out one time in here??? I'm really struggling with this paper :frown:

Thank you!

I would but it relates to my school's individual study as we have a river that goes through our school hah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending