The Student Room Group

Most incredible, profound advice an older person ever gave you?

We often incorrectly and blindly associate wisdom with age (you could be old and still be an idiot who hasn't learnt life's lessons)

But there are times when you have a conversation, hopefully non patronizing with a person 30+ who gives you profound advice or life experiences.

I remember this 40 something chap who I befriended on my travels who told me to write your goals down on paper.

If you think how scrambled our brains can get when we get lots of ideas and how many thoughts processes are going on at the same time, putting your top goals on paper keeps you focused and make you more likely to achieve them. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this
When traveling, always put a toilet roll in your hand luggage. Following this advice has served me well.
Ha I'm already 30+ - the fact, OP, that you've lumped me into the "older person" category...stings like a bitch!

Two of the wisest pieces of advice that my mother always regurgitates, are well known cliches.
1) Never be a borrower or a lender.
2) God helps those who help themselves.

Both are very very sensible pieces of advice.

The most recent piece of advice from someone older than myself which I received, isn't quite as profound, but still very helpful. I was a special guest at a convention last month and my table was next to Virginia Hey's table. I'd not met her prior to that occasion, and it was my first convention. She told me she always carries hand sanitiser with her to conventions, as you're always having to shake hands with people, handle money, and so on. She said she always picks up either a bad cold or a stomach bug if she doesn't take her hand sanitiser. I thought it was a very good idea.
I heard my grandparents in so many of these quotes :')
When I was little my grandmother used to tell me that I was a rose, and that I shouldn't let myself be pulled by anybody.
I only understood her imagery as I grew older. She meant that I shouldn't expect anything from my partner, because that withers my beauty quicker. By beauty she meant the beauty of giving, and not expecting anything in return.
Reply 5
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Ha I'm already 30+ - the fact, OP, that you've lumped me into the "older person" category...stings like a bitch!

Two of the wisest pieces of advice that my mother always regurgitates, are well known cliches.
1) Never be a borrower or a lender.
2) God helps those who help themselves.

Both are very very sensible pieces of advice.

The most recent piece of advice from someone older than myself which I received, isn't quite as profound, but still very helpful. I was a special guest at a convention last month and my table was next to Virginia Hey's table. I'd not met her prior to that occasion, and it was my first convention. She told me she always carries hand sanitiser with her to conventions, as you're always having to shake hands with people, handle money, and so on. She said she always picks up either a bad cold or a stomach bug if she doesn't take her hand sanitiser. I thought it was a very good idea.

I thought it was just teenage kids on here, I don't feel so old now :smile: Good tips on not getting sick.
"some days it rains, don't worry about it, some days the sun shines, dont worry about it, whatever it is its gonna change so dont worry about it"
I liked this one in that youtube link
Double check the lock on the toilet door. Served me well ever since.
Always live in the moment
Reply 9
Original post by Yeah dude
Always live in the moment

Haga especially if you have a 510 lb Silver back gorilla after you!
Reply 10
When life gives you lemons, lob them at people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
always be happy, life's too short to be sad :smile:

(that's easier to say than follow tho :sad:)
When cycling down a mountain feather the breaks.
Reply 13
Collect moments instead of things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Kosovaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like it!
Original post by holmes221
Haga especially if you have a 510 lb Silver back gorilla after you!

The gorilla and I are homies now, we are like brothers, what a dude he is, if I wouldn't have lived in the moment, I would have ran away and missed to opportunity to make such a great friend! However I would not recommend this kids (I have to say that for legal reasons)
Original post by Kosovaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the best one!
Reply 17
Original post by Yeah dude
The gorilla and I are homies now, we are like brothers, what a dude he is, if I wouldn't have lived in the moment, I would have ran away and missed to opportunity to make such a great friend! However I would not recommend this kids (I have to say that for legal reasons)

do you still have your arms?
People need to stop saying life is too short.

It is not. Just because it's a common saying does not make it true.

(except people whose life is taken from them by other people/disease).
Don't waste time/energy on regrets because it's what you wanted/didn't want at the time. Regrets only happen after, meaning you may be more prepared now than you ever could be at the time it happened. And it kind of ties into the "be more present" advice :smile: xx

Quick Reply

Latest