The Student Room Group

Geog2 AQA Geographical Skills 15th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dieselblue
Can anyone tell me the difference between the hypothesis and the aim of your fieldwork? The explanation I was given made them sound identical.

The aim is what you are trying to find out, and the hypothesis is what you think will happen.
For example, my aim was: To determine whether river characteristic change downstream according to the Bradshaw Model.
My hypothesis was: Velocity , width and depth will increase downstream (as it suggests in the Bradshaw Model) because...

Hope that helps!
Can anyone tell me the difference between the hypothesis and the aim of your fieldwork? The explanation I was given made them sound identical.

They are the same except hypothesis is more detail than aim. Aim is to check if it followed Bradshaw model hypothesis is what the Bradshaw model predicts and how that relates to what you looked for.
Original post by maryox
Its the same thing. E.g. the hypothesis was that channel characteristics change as we go downstream as predicted by bradshaw model whereas for the aim youd word it differently and say the aim of our investigation was to see if channel characteristics change as we go downstream as predicted by bradshaw model

Ok thanks, so they are indifferent.
Reply 203
Ok thanks, so they are indifferent.

For the aim you may also want to add where you carried out your investigation and the name of the rivers.
Reply 204
Is spearman's rank an analysis technique? Or a data presentation technique?
Original post by maryox
Is spearman's rank an analysis technique? Or a data presentation technique?

Scatter graphs presentation, spear mans analysis
Reply 206
Original post by MrKmas508
Scatter graphs presentation, spear mans analysis

Do you think a 'describe a method for data analysis' will come up?
Reply 207
Can anyone pls write out the method for drawing cross section graphs for data presentation. Thanks.
Original post by maryox
Do you think a 'describe a method for data analysis' will come up?

yeah in my opinion it will data presentation came up last time
Original post by maryox
Can anyone pls write out the method for drawing cross section graphs for data presentation. Thanks.

I'm off to bed now, going to wake up early to memorise fieldwork.

Oh and you guys should go over the different graphs for population and rivers e.g. pyramids, storm hydrograph. Skim through stuff like things that can increase flooding and social welfare became those key theories come up a lot. Then perhaps do past paper questions on skills you're on unsure off or go to your teachers a bit earlier before the exam (thank God it's in the afternoon) cause that's what I'm gonna do when I wake up.

Good luck y'all and make sure you get sleep. Everything you've read will be retained.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maryox
Reply 212

Reply 213
Can someone PM me for predictions!
It's an afternoon exam right
Anyone else been totally unprepared down to their teachers lol
can someone explain the whole methodology for the fieldwork
Original post by steephen
can someone explain the whole methodology for the fieldwork

Checking width depth velocity and bed load at different points of the river both along and down it using intervals to measure with ruler/flow metre/ruler again to create a cross section and bar charts allowing us to compare using eventually a scattergraph to compare average velocities and bed load for correlation ultimately creating spear mans rank co efficient go check if the correlation is not only positive but real.
Checking width depth velocity and bed load at different points of the river both along and down it using intervals to measure with ruler/flow metre/ruler again to create a cross section and bar charts allowing us to compare using eventually a scattergraph to compare average velocities and bed load for correlation ultimately creating spear mans rank co efficient go check if the correlation is not only positive but real.

do we need to have done the fieldwork to do this exam?. i am self learning and dint do any firldwork.
Exam is afternoon ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending