The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by priya98
For a question about discussing an appoach to abnormality, can you talk about therapies?

Nope, you have to explain the approach itself and how it links to abnormality :smile:
Original post by hereticalpilgrim
can someone please explain deviation from social norms pls? i don't like the textbook's way of wording it..

Deviation from social norms is when you go against the norms of society. Norms are unwritten ways of to conduct that society performs. According to this definition people who do not go around and behave as everyone else expects will be seen as abnormal. Behaviour that deviates from social norms may be vivid, unpredictable and irrational. They may cause observer discomforts. Examples are walking to close to someone, talking to yourself in public or walking backwards.
Original post by Sacred Ground
I'm reading through predictions and I thought I knew the whole course and people are mentioning things I've never heard of, I'm worried now... Why is this?

Just go through the whole spec and make sure you can answer everything. If not , then you'll know there are gaps in your knowledge. :smile:
Original post by SunDun111
Deviation from social norms is when you go against the norms of society. Norms are unwritten ways of to conduct that society performs. According to this definition people who do not go around and behave as everyone else expects will be seen as abnormal. Behaviour that deviates from social norms may be vivid, unpredictable and irrational. They may cause observer discomforts. Examples are walking to close to someone, talking to yourself in public or walking backwards.

thanks!! :smile:
Original post by Troytheboy
CBT is Beck's cognitive therapy. It involves four steps:

step one - the therapist identifies the client's negative thoughts
step two- the therapist sends the person home with a diary and ask them to record their thoughts and anxieties
step three - the therapist reviews their diary entries and picks out any negative thoughts or misinterpreted info.
step four - the therapist sets the client small task in order to make them feel successful, in this stage they may also provide the person with a social skills program.

SIT is stress inoculation training. It involves three steps

Conceptualization: A collaborative relationship is built between the client and therapist. Then the therapist teaches the client about the nature of stress and its impact and encourages the person not to perceive stressors as threats but as problems-to-be solved. Lastly they are taught how to make the stressors into long term, or short term goals.
Two skills and acquisition: The therapist teaches the person skills which are practiced in the clinic. This can include relaxation training, problem-solving, communication skills or guided self talk.
Application and follow through: In this stage the person is given the opportunity to practice the skills. To be honest I don't understand this step. Hopefully someone else who reads this post can help you.

As for the others I don't know what the acronyms mean. REBT and ABC?

REBT= rational emotive behavioural therapy:smile:
So asking patient if their irrational thoughts are logic, pragmatic or have empirical support :smile:
ABC = A- activating event
B-beliefs
C-consequences

Don't forget to mention that there are implicit rules and explicit rules

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shamzy25

Posted from TSR Mobile

what are these rules omg??
What exactly does it mean when a 12 marker says ''discuss''?
I am feeling so not confident for tomorrows exam, abnormality is whats stopping me from doing well :cry2:
Original post by tobeobi
What exactly does it mean when a 12 marker says ''discuss''?

Outline and evaluate
Original post by Shamzy25

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean the limitations? Because there are 'rules' or features of failure to function adequately or devation from ideal mental health. Not for deviation from social norms
Predictions for tomorrow?
independent behavior and social change????????? what studies do i use???
I don't understand for explanations of conformity do I use asch and sheriffs study as a02 or a01
Reply 2194
Original post by K3lvin
Is there a unofficial mark scheme for the psych 1 paper some one please reply

Let me know if you find one please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think psychological therapies will come up for the 12 marker but I'm hoping for stress and the immune system :redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
'Outline psychoanalysis' does that mean to outline both free association and dream analysis in the psychodynamic approach?

This probably is simple but i've only ever learnt them as individual therapies under psychodynamic which Freud started
Original post by Oiseaux
I think psychopathology therapies will come up for the 12 marker but I'm hoping for stress and the immune system :redface:

Could psychopathology therapy refer to any type such as cbt?
Could psychopathology therapy refer to any type such as cbt?

Yep, CBT, psychoanalysis and systematic desensitisation. I meant 'psychological', not psychopathology :s-smilie: revision's getting to me.
What are some evaluation points for the biological approach and the behavioural approach

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending