The Student Room Group

As history - f964/02 - cold war in asia

Scroll to see replies

I finally found this thread!
I'm so scared for this exam. I wanted either Vietnam or Korea to come up.
how did everyone find the paper? i think it went ok but the second question through me off a bit so it took me quite long to figure out the grouping
Yeah, overall I enjoyed the paper. Wished for Vietnam & it came up!

had to read the question 5B properly tho, interpretation that US wanted to distance itself from problems in South Korea.

Any one doing tudors next wed ?!
(edited 8 years ago)
What did people argue for the last question were you for or against the interpretation that the US wanted to distance itself?
Original post by Olivia890
What did people argue for the last question were you for or against the interpretation that the US wanted to distance itself?

I was against the interpretation that the US wanted to distance itself from the problems in S.Vietnam.

although there was a specified time period, in hindsight it was shown later on via nixon's (madman theory) that they wanted to escalate the war. & also the current period of johnson increasing economic aid etc.
Oh I was in support because I kept to the time period and said they wanted wished to distance themselves but could not because they felt morally obliged to help the South Vietnamese and theui especially after the assassination of diem. Do you think I will be marked down?
Original post by Olivia890
Oh I was in support because I kept to the time period and said they wanted wished to distance themselves but could not because they felt morally obliged to help the South Vietnamese and theui especially after the assassination of diem. Do you think I will be marked down?

oh, i don't think you'll be marked down for that
Original post by sophiehiled
I got really confused on question b and had to think about what the question was asking for far too long - i didn't know what distance itself from the problem meant
..... I wrote about

Distancing itself: escalating the war without addressing the PROBLEM which was the lack of support for the regime

Against the interpretation: the US didn't distance itself but wanted to help the Vietnamese people with aid and freedom etc

I'm really worried I did it completely wrong ... Do you think that this will get credit? Thanks

i think so, but i thought 'distance itself from south vietnamese problems' was to avoid escalation & stop fighting which then lead to the withdrawal of us troops (vietnamisation)
Thanks !!! I'm so worried though because I only spent about 35 minutes writing because I didn't understand the question! Yes I am sure that's what it meant now but I didn't realise at the time :frown:

ohoh :frown: yeah i found timing quite an issue today as well, hopefully we all do well come August !

& by any chance are doing tudors next wed ?
No Pitt to peel! Also about Cold War do you know what other people wrote for the b question? Thanks so much!

my friends mentioned that the US did not know how to deal with vietnam & how to win such a war etc (guerilla warfare)
also umm, something about robert mcnamara lol
Conclusion of part a) was that Source B was more helpful

Groupings of part b) Sources B and (Some of) A agree, and Sources C, D and E (and some of A) disgree

Conclusion of part b) The sources and my own knowledge Disagree with the statement

People at my school had a range of different interpretations and groupings, a fair few had mine, but others had completely different groupings

Realised I missed a few pieces of own knowledge(e.g. Agent Orange and Escalation of Advisers), but felt what I said was good enough (e.g. Agrovilles, Strategic Hamlets, The Coup, Communist controlled South Vietnam, Support for Diem, American escalation of bombing, and military escalation after the time period)

Obviously some of that own knowledge isn't directly related to the context of the question but helps to prove reliability and provenance of the source

Thoughts?
Original post by adrian1997
Conclusion of part a) was that Source B was more helpful

Groupings of part b) Sources B and (Some of) A agree, and Sources C, D and E (and some of A) disgree

Conclusion of part b) The sources and my own knowledge Disagree with the statement

People at my school had a range of different interpretations and groupings, a fair few had mine, but others had completely different groupings

Realised I missed a few pieces of own knowledge(e.g. Agent Orange and Escalation of Advisers), but felt what I said was good enough (e.g. Agrovilles, Strategic Hamlets, The Coup, Communist controlled South Vietnam, Support for Diem, American escalation of bombing, and military escalation after the time period)

Obviously some of that own knowledge isn't directly related to the context of the question but helps to prove reliability and provenance of the source

Thoughts?

I really like the way you answered the question. I did mine exactly the same way regarding question A (Source B being more helpful) & question B (regarding the grouping of the sources, I said sources A&B support the interpretation of the US distancing itself & sources C, D & E opposing the interpretation)
Original post by IAmUncreative
I really like the way you answered the question. I did mine exactly the same way regarding question A (Source B being more helpful) & question B (regarding the grouping of the sources, I said sources A&B support the interpretation of the US distancing itself & sources C, D & E opposing the interpretation)

Yeah, I though A was more towards the agree
Yeah, I though A was more towards the agree

Yeah, aah forgot to mention to an extent it opposes it, cos it said "the only option is for the US to start full
Scale war" or something like that but he said personally it'll be the wrong thing to do so opposed it
Yeah, aah forgot to mention to an extent it opposes it, cos it said "the only option is for the US to start full
Scale war" or something like that but he said personally it'll be the wrong thing to do so opposed it

That's exactly the quotes I used, but it can be interpreted either way, hence why groupings have been so varied
That's exactly the quotes I used, but it can be interpreted either way, hence why groupings have been so varied

Yeah!
i've got the paper if we all want to review it more- anyone doing the tudors paper this wednesday?
Original post by sanal1998
i've got the paper if we all want to review it more- anyone doing the tudors paper this wednesday?

yess i'd love to & yhh i'm doing tudors.

check it out, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3326993

no one seems to be tho
yess i'd love to & yhh i'm doing tudors.

check it out, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3326993

no one seems to be tho

ok i've attached the 2015 cold war paper and it's like no one cares ahaha i cant find any threads for it but i think i'll be ok on Wednesday
Original post by sanal1998
ok i've attached the 2015 cold war paper and it's like no one cares ahaha i cant find any threads for it but i think i'll be ok on Wednesday

yeah! no one seems to lol & yh same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending