The Student Room Group

AQA Physics GCSE P2 & P3 [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maxjackson5
These are the 5 key stages about terminal velocity of a parachutist.
1. Accelerates rapidly because falling force is much larger than air resistance.
2. Accelerating (slower) because air resistance has increased slightly.
3. Constant speed because air resistance is equal to falling force. Terminal Velocity has been reached.
4. *opens parachute* Parachutist slows down.
5. (slower) Constant speed because air resistance is equal to falling force. Terminal velocity has been reached.

Terminal velocity = when forwards force is equal to air resistance (usually top speed).
Larger surface area = slower terminal velocity.
As velocity increases, air resistance increases at FASTER rate, i.e NOT directly proportional.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much this was really helpful!! :biggrin::yy:
Original post by Pra99
I bet my house that the 6 marker in p2 will be about stars

Pretty sure you won't have a house soon :smile:
I have the feeling that the 6 mark will be about nuclear fusion or nuclear fission.
:frown:
Original post by electrahearts

Anytime !
If anyone needs help with any topics then let me know, teaching someone helps me too! :biggrin:
Reply 165
Original post by t.thompson22
If anyone needs help with any topics then let me know, teaching someone helps me too! :biggrin:

Flemming's left hand rule
I don't understand a question in unit 2 June 2014?

The mass of the skateboard is 1.8 kg on the mass of the skateboarder is 42 kg

calculate the velocity at which the skateboard moves backwards if the skateboarder jumps forward to velocity of 0.3 M/S

3 marks. It's to do with moment but I'm not sure how to work it out?
Original post by t.thompson22

The question I previously posted! On monentum?
Original post by science_geeks
I don't understand a question in unit 2 June 2014?

The mass of the skateboard is 1.8 kg on the mass of the skateboarder is 42 kg

calculate the velocity at which the skateboard moves backwards if the skateboarder jumps forward to velocity of 0.3 M/S

3 marks. It's to do with moment but I'm not sure how to work it out?

Basically, the conservation of momentum means that the momentum before an event is equal to the moment after.

In this case, the initial moment is when the skateboarder jumps forward. This means his momentum will be his mass * his velocity which is 42 * 0.3 = 12.6 kgm/s

Due to the conservation of momentum, the skateboard will also move back with the SAME momentum i.e. 12.6 kgm/s

Since we know the skateboard has a mass of 42 kg and a momentum of 12.6 kgm/s we can work out the velocity using the formula Momentum = Mass * Velocity so Velocity = Momentum/Mass i.e. 12.6/1.8 = 7 m/s

I think that's the right answer. Let me know if it is.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 169
work it out as two separate objects. momentum = mass x velocity. The law of momentum states that momentum must be conserved, therefore if you workout the momentum of of the skateboarder e.g. 42 x 0.3 = 12.6. so now we know that 1.8 x? = 12.6. Therefore simply do 12.6/1.8 = 7m/s.
Hope this helps, remember momentum is always conserved!
:smile:
Reply 170
Original post by Suraiya03
Anything but momentum will be very much appreciated tbh

yeah same i dont get it
Original post by stressthistest
that would be heaven

# physics banter
With people predicting that it will be a plan your own experiment type thing, it could be a question on how you can find out the centre of mass or how to find out focal length of a lens. I'd look over those two just in case I think.
Original post by M.P.C
work it out as two separate objects. momentum = mass x velocity. The law of momentum states that momentum must be conserved, therefore if you workout the momentum of of the skateboarder e.g. 42 x 0.3 = 12.6. so now we know that 1.8 x? = 12.6. Therefore simply do 12.6/1.8 = 7m/s.

Use the formula :
(m1 * U1) + (m2 * u 2) = (m1 * v1) + (m2 * v2)
M1 is mass of object. 1
M2 is mass of object. 2
U1 and U2 are initial velocity of objects 1 and 2 respectively
V1 and. V1 are final velocity of objects 1 and. 2 respectively
Original post by littleheron
Basically, the conservation of momentum means that the momentum before an event is equal to the moment after.

In this case, the initial moment is when the skateboarder jumps forward. This means his momentum will be his mass * his velocity which is 42 * 0.3 = 12.6 kgm/s

Due to the conservation of momentum, the skateboard will also move back with the SAME momentum i.e. 12.6 kgm/s

Since we know the skateboard has a mass of 42 kg and a momentum of 12.6 kgm/s we can work out the velocity using the formula Momentum = Mass * Velocity so Velocity = Momentum/Mass i.e. 12.6/1.8 = 7 m/s

I think that's the right answer. Let me know if it is.

Thanks! Makes sense and yes, according to the mark scheme the answer was 7 m/s
Original post by olegasr
With people predicting that it will be a plan your own experiment type thing, it could be a question on how you can find out the centre of mass or how to find out focal length of a lens. I'd look over those two just in case I think.

Centre of mass experiment-y type questions were on last years paper!!!
Original post by M.P.C

Thanks! So much that makes sense! :smile:
Original post by electrahearts

Luckily (because I hate this stuff ) i dont think there will be much on it this year as they had a. 6 marker last year or the year before on a bike reaching terminal velocity
I loathe physics.
Guys p2 question here: Does something with constant speed and veloctiy have a zero resultant force?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending