The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature GCSE 2015 JUNE SUMMER *OFFICIAL THREAD* OMAM AIC

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theD0N
can you please show the mark scheme of a past paper which says what you say, i need the evidence because as far as i'm concerned, You can talk about context in part a and in the mark scheme it doesn't say anything about on writing context in part b :angry:

The of mice and men questions are marked holistically so basically as one and I'm pretty sure we can write about context in A as well. I wrote loads on context in that part because i didn't know what else to write about. I even picked out the part at the end where he paws at her and covers her in hay and i said the animalistic imagery conveys ill-treatment of women which was a symbolic reflection of 1930s America. For part B i actually didn't write about Curley's Wife. I perceived the question more about violence so i wrote about Crooks, Candy's dog, fight with Curley, death of Lennie, the fact that things were 'broken' in Crooks room and then the cyclical nature of the novel
For AIC I wrote about how Mr B is:
1. He is overly optimistic about his country because of the quote 'unsinkable, absolutley unsinkalble'
2. His opinion completely changed on Eva when she asked for a pay rise becasue it doesnt fit with this views about money is all that matters.
3. The generstion gap as he blames Eric. He has learnt nothing about responsibility and so the cylic structure will continue.
As for OMAM:
I wrote that in the death both characters were scared. Curleys wife was terrified etc analysing quotes. When sh dies the word 'and' is stopped being repeetetively usef which portrays that there is now peace.
Then B;
1. Candy and his Amercoan dream; all the characters needed hope.
2. Discrimination to black people.
3. Discriminatioj to Lennie who should be in a mental institue because of his disability!
Original post by BitofAFangirl
Going through every past paper, this shall be fun night.
I always seem to make such silly mistakes.

i know right!
Original post by ozmo19
The of mice and men questions are marked holistically so basically as one and I'm pretty sure we can write about context in A as well. I wrote loads on context in that part because i didn't know what else to write about. I even picked out the part at the end where he paws at her and covers her in hay and i said the animalistic imagery conveys ill-treatment of women which was a symbolic reflection of 1930s America. For part B i actually didn't write about Curley's Wife. I perceived the question more about violence so i wrote about Crooks, Candy's dog, fight with Curley, death of Lennie, the fact that things were 'broken' in Crooks room and then the cyclical nature of the novel

wow bro you must have aced it
I wrote about 1 and a half sides for section B. 2 paragraphs for a) and 3 paragraphs for b) do you think I can get high marks with that much?
Original post by blitzchika
I wrote about 1 and a half sides for section B. 2 paragraphs for a) and 3 paragraphs for b) do you think I can get high marks with that much?

mate...I wrote 4 and half for the whole paper altogether.
Original post by theD0N
wow bro you must have aced it

NO! Definitely not, felt good at the time but regret not mentioning Curley's Wife. I don't know whether my points were perceptive enough for a high band but I'm hoping for the best. Hopefully i can ace the poetry exam
for the extract in OMAM i takes about how 'flopped like a fish' could show how curley's wife is like a fish and still has a beautiful and mysterious air to her even when she is dead. Will I get marks for this?
Original post by rtolat369
for the extract in OMAM i takes about how 'flopped like a fish' could show how curley's wife is like a fish and still has a beautiful and mysterious air to her even when she is dead. Will I get marks for this?

the one thing about english literature is that you can say anything you want as long as you justify it. For the fish quote I talked about how fish are prey and innocent etc went along that route.

However, if you justified your point you are fine - the whole GCSE is based on interpretations.
Reply 729
Original post by sufiyan1999
the one thing about english literature is that you can say anything you want as long as you justify it. For the fish quote I talked about how fish are prey and innocent etc went along that route.

However, if you justified your point you are fine - the whole GCSE is based on interpretations.

I said flopped like a fish represents how a fish starts flopping around/dying when its in an environment it cant survive in just like Curleys wife is because she's vulnerable in this violent masculine society

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sufiyan1999

oh ok, so if I explained it then that would be fine. Thanks!
Original post by Rtdsv
I said flopped like a fish represents how a fish starts flopping around/dying when its in an environment it cant survive in just like Curleys wife is because she's vulnerable in this violent masculine society

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah i said that at as well so that i had a multiple interpretation
Reply 732
So scared for friday's exam, I'm really bad at poetry. Do you guys have any predictions for the conflict cluster?
Reply 733
Hey
So the exam yesterday was okkkkay...
I think i did okay in the AIC question - but did ANYONE else do the inequality question?! It seems like everyone did Mr Birling xD
The OMAM question was hard - I ended up writing a bit too much about Lennie - is this terrible! I linked it back to CW but im really worried! I think part b was okay too, i did about loneliness, isolation and lack of stability - was going to put something in about prejudice but decided i hadn't got enough time!

WIll i be ok?!
Good luck for Fridays poetry btw!
[QUOTE=milanakostjuka;55933513]Does anyone know if ''To His Coy Mistress'' has come up before? I have a feeling it is gonna be in the exam

No it hasn't come up yet 😀 I'm doing that cluster as well I hope everyone does well !!!
[QUOTE=iamlucy;55937955]HEY everyone, hope you all feel the exam went well - for me it was okay, but I personally thought the extract from Of Mice and Men was a little ****ty, and didn't allow a great deal of in-depth analysis :/ Not much room for structure in either question (WIB 8, and OMAM a+b)....

I was wondering though.... does anyone know what percentage the controlled assessment is worth?

And then what is the literature (books) and poetry are worth individually too?

Thank you :smile:

The controlled assessment is 25%
Books is 40%
Poetry 35% not sure which has 40 and which had 35 though 😁😀
Reply 737
does anybody know/ have information or essays on poetry and how they link? mainly about Belfast confetti and bayonet charge - not really interested in come on come back but any help would b appreciated pls :smile:
Original post by _ariane29
I didn't like the curleys wife extract either. I thought there was more to say about Lennie in that extract :biggrin:

Yeah definitely..
i just hope the exam on Friday is better😅
Is there anyone that does character and voice for poetry? Predictions? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending