The Student Room Group

How did you find this year's C3 (EDEXCEL)

This poll is closed

How did you find the EDEXCEL C3?

very difficult 27%
difficult 35%
ok 22%
easy 10%
very easy6%
Total votes: 695
all my students on this paper reported back and I do not know what to make of it ...
one of them which is desperate to get A* thinks that A* will be around 65, another was almost in tears, a third one said it was an ok paper...

How was it for you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it was a very nice paper with a couple unusual questions but still not super hard or anything
Reply 2
I guess you've seen the paper by now? Whats your A* prediction?
Reply 3
Straight forward paper. If you had done the past papers, it was a nice paper. There was nothing on that paper that had previously not come up in past papers.
Reply 4
Think I lost 8-9 marks. 10 at worst. Hoping thats 90?
Reply 5
not too bad but not exactly easy. Where is arsey!!!!??
Reply 6
I don't know what to make of it and I sat it...throughout I had the feeling it was a bit weird/ever so slightly non-standard, but I finished fairly quickly and it seemed very doable. There was a slightly challenging trig proof and I thought 1b of the first question was quite tricky; there was also a 6 mark range question and it seems that a fair few people dislike range so..
Reply 7
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I don't know what to make of it and I sat it...throughout I had the feeling it was a bit weird/ever so slightly non-standard, but I finished fairly quickly and it seemed very doable. There was a slightly challenging trig proof and I thought 1b of the first question was quite tricky; there was also a 6 mark range question and it seems that a fair few people dislike range so..

About half the people who even attempted the last part of 9 were wrong when they said it was a decreasing function as well.
It seemed to me that some questions felt like they'd be taken from previous international papers, but it was doable, if you were well prepared. I found it fine, maybe tougher than normal, but it felt more difficult than June 2013 (I found that one easy, a lot of complaining over nothing). Regardless I don't think the boundaries will be as low as June 13, but they will be lower than normal.
Reply 9
Original post by STATER
About half the people who even attempted the last part of 9 were wrong when they said it was a decreasing function as well.

I don't understand why you would say that. The question even put "negative" for "negative constant" in bold...unless the differentiation was wrong, how can you say decreasing (I got a numerator of -3k and the square denominator of course)
edit: I mean I put increasing by the way not decreasing :P
Reply 10
Original post by TeeEm
all my students on this paper reported back and I do not know what to make of it ...
one of them which is desperate to get A* thinks that A* will be around 65, another was almost in tears, a third one said it was an ok paper...

How was it for you?

http://strawpoll.me/4609429/r

What do you make out of this poll?
Reply 11
Original post by H0PEL3SS
It seemed to me that some questions felt like they'd be taken from previous international papers, but it was doable, if you were well prepared. I found it fine, maybe tougher than normal, but it felt more difficult than June 2013 (I found that one easy, a lot of complaining over nothing). Regardless I don't think the boundaries will be as low as June 13, but they will be lower than normal.

It wasnt bad really, just that trig proof 5 marker and some of the smaller questions lol. But grade boundaries should be a bit low, does 66 for A* sound too ambitious?
Reply 12
I don't understand why you would say that. The question even put "negative" for "negative constant" in bold...unless the differentiation was wrong, how can you say decreasing (I got a numerator of -3k and the square denominator of course)
edit: I mean I put increasing by the way not decreasing :P

Yh k is a negative constant so -3k is positive, and the denominator was positive, so rate of change is positive, so increasing function.
Reply 13
Original post by Jemy
http://strawpoll.me/4609429/r

What do you make out of this poll?

another poll ...
Reply 14
Original post by AJeeeee
It wasnt bad really, just that trig proof 5 marker and some of the smaller questions lol. But grade boundaries should be a bit low, does 66 for A* sound too ambitious?

It was 66 last year and the only "difficult" thing on that was a similar 5 marker. I felt this year was similar; 66 would seem like a good estimate.
Reply 15
Original post by TeeEm
another poll ...

I meant your take on the given feedback on it, it has already over 1300 votes with 40% saying very hard and 30% saying hard.
Reply 16
Original post by AJeeeee

Last years was 66 for A*, and I think this one was trickier. I feel like more candidates are complaining, so maybe 65? Shouldn't rise beyond 66 I hope.
Reply 17
It was 66 last year and the only "difficult" thing on that was a similar 5 marker. I felt this year was similar; 66 would seem like a good estimate.

Yeah it wasnt that dramatic really :/
Paper seemed more difficult at the time, looking back at it the questions weren't too difficult. Just some "different" questions that were hard to react to
Original post by AJeeeee

It was focused more on catching people out than testing whether we knew the content; The trig wasn't too hard, it was just spotting that you could change the 1. An alternative would be to get the RHS to something you could make the LHS into without simplifying, and the only real problems I had were my own silly mistakes.

66 for the A* sounds fairly high, IMO. I do FM, so I found the paper challenging, but it was only relative to other C3 papers (which were more trivial than anything), but people who only do maths will have found this much harder, dragging the boundary down. I'd say 72 (possibly as low as 68/69) for the 100, 60-64 for the 90.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending