The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Offers, from automotive engineering

so ive now recieved all my offers except from loughborough, for autmotive engineering (or under a similar name). it is one of my higher choices as my grades for AS arent amazing, but i plan on resitting modules.i had also applied to Brunel whose requirements are the same as theirs (AAB). the question is if anyone else has got an offer for the BEng for Automotive engineering with the sandwich or similar from loughborough.
Reply 1
last year people get in even dropping 2 grades (i'm a auto eng current student btw..feel free to ask)
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Hi there. Do you by chance know how the university is ranked purely in the automobile engineering sector? I have some offers from other universities and it's quite daunting to decipher which place to go - all of them are pretty good and now my final decision is down to that the one question.

University of Birmingham (Mech Eng) strong links with Aston Martin
Univesity of Nottingham (Mech Eng) no noticeable links but ranked higher that Birmingham and Loughborough in Mech Eng.

Thanks.
Reply 3
Original post by NEXTHAT
Hi there. Do you by chance know how the university is ranked purely in the automobile engineering sector? I have some offers from other universities and it's quite daunting to decipher which place to go - all of them are pretty good and now my final decision is down to that the one question.

University of Birmingham (Mech Eng) strong links with Aston Martin
Univesity of Nottingham (Mech Eng) no noticeable links but ranked higher that Birmingham and Loughborough in Mech Eng.

Thanks.

well it is difficult to rank purely auto eng just for the fact that here in lufbra it is not part of Mech Eng so in the various league tables it would not be there. regarding links I would say they are important but not fundamental because students from important unis like the one you have mentioned, with good results, will have many chances to get a placement or a job in a big company, even if the uni where they study if 200 miles away from the company HQ. feel free to private message me if you have any question about lboro and auto eng
Reply 4
Many thanks for your reply MatteAva..much appreciated.

I do have a couple of questions:

1) In terms of the time spent in lecture/lab,workshop, is the ratio equal in the first year? And equally important do you put most of the things you are are taught into practise?

2) Is there anything that you are disappointed about on the course ( some of the unis I mentioned have issues as well, but I wanted to gauge the type )?

Thanks.
Hi, i think its too late for me to ask but is it possible for me to apply for 2015 Automotive Beng fall?
Original post by Azhar Rana
Hi, i think its too late for me to ask but is it possible for me to apply for 2015 Automotive Beng fall?

Hi Azhar Rana

I think the best thing to do is to contact the admissions department directly.

You can call them on 01509 223 522 or alternatively you can e-mail them [email protected]

Vicky
Thanks alot!
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi Azhar Rana

I think the best thing to do is to contact the admissions department directly.

You can call them on 01509 223 522 or alternatively you can e-mail them [email protected]

Vicky
Original post by Azhar Rana
Thanks alot!

You're welcome :smile:

Vicky
Original post by NEXTHAT
Many thanks for your reply MatteAva..much appreciated.

I do have a couple of questions:

1) In terms of the time spent in lecture/lab,workshop, is the ratio equal in the first year? And equally important do you put most of the things you are are taught into practise?

2) Is there anything that you are disappointed about on the course ( some of the unis I mentioned have issues as well, but I wanted to gauge the type )?

Thanks.

I'm doing Aeronautical Engineering (just finished Part A/1st year), but as you'll discover if you come to Lufbra both courses spend a lot of time together

1) No, a lot more time is spent in lectures and tutorials. I averaged about 11 hours in lectures a week, another 3 or 4 hours, an hour in the computing labs, an hour of CAD or technical drawing, and finally an average of an hour in the labs a week.

You will do labs that put into practice or demonstrate things you've learned. Modules like Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics have occasional labs you'll do, there's also lots of computing sessions!

2) There's nothing that particularly dissappoints me about the course - you will realise early that your first year is very much about learning the theoretical basics - there's very little playing around with gucci kit like wind tunnels and driving sims. There's enough practical things to keep me interested, and if you love tinkering with cars you can join the Formula Student team and make racecars in your spare time!

There's also absolutely loads of other things to keep you occupied, societies, sports clubs, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending