The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hiyaitsnikitaaa
how much gene tech do people think will be on the paper, its very very confusing and very content heavy, can anyone summarise?

Well DNA technology is the biggest part of the spec for Unit 5 so probably quite a lot. But then its AQA so who ever knows what they're going to throw at us
Can anyone explain restriction mapping? and what is the point of it? like why do we want to cut up the plasmids at these specific recognition sites?
Reply 802
Does anyone know what the AQA definition of kinesis is for certain?

The AQA Nelson Thornes textbook says "...the more unpleasant the stimulus, the more rapidly it moves and the more rapidly it changes direction." (and vice versa)

The CGP book says: "As the air gets drier (more unpleasant stimulus), they move faster and turn less often..." (and vice versa).

A past AQA question from 2006 suggests that the CGP book is actually correct however other than that question there have not been many questions about kinesis.
Original post by biojoe

The AQA Nelson Thornes textbook says "...the more unpleasant the stimulus, the more rapidly it moves and the more rapidly it changes direction." (and vice versa)

The CGP book says: "As the air gets drier (more unpleasant stimulus), they move faster and turn less often..." (and vice versa).

A past AQA question from 2006 suggests that the CGP book is actually correct however other than that question there have not been many questions about kinesis.

kinesis hasnt been tested on our spec yet :smile:
Original post by humblekingdom
Well DNA technology is the biggest part of the spec for Unit 5 so probably quite a lot. But then its AQA so who ever knows what they're going to throw at us

ive done all the past papers and its not too bad but i just really dont understand the steps for most of it
ive done all the past papers and its not too bad but i just really dont understand the steps for most of it

Yeah, just might be useful in the essay, I'm sure it won't matter loads though
The amount they've put in for DNA Technology is too much haha
I just keep thinkjng that they've had to rewrite the papers really quickly because they got stolen so it might not be very well writen or it might be really easy - fingers crossed

Good luck!
Reply 806
kinesis hasnt been tested on our spec yet :smile:

Which may mean that kinesis is more likely to come up on our exam... :/
But how are we supposed to answer a question on it if there is no solid definition of kinesis?
Original post by biojoe

I've had so many things like that this year when different books contradict wiht each other. I tend to go with what it says in the AQA textbook because they've endorsed it.

Whatdo you think might come up this year based on what hasn't come up in the past papers? :smile:
Original post by EmilyC96
Has anyone actually asked their teacher about it and if it's true?

Yeah I asked mine and he said that he didnt hear about it but the exam could possibly be easier, which would be awesome!
Original post by biojoe
Which may mean that kinesis is more likely to come up on our exam... :/
But how are we supposed to answer a question on it if there is no solid definition of kinesis?
the organisms movement is effected by a non directional stimulus- this is in the revision guide, i always say random movements too
Whatdo you think might come up this year based on what hasn't come up in the past papers? :smile:

my teacher said these, she gave us a list
Reflex arc
Eye - distribution of Rods and Cones sensitivity and acuity
Kinesis
Pacinian Corpuscles
Myelin Sheath /speed of transmission of action potential
Synapses (only covered briefly)
Regulation of Body Temperature (only covered briefly)
Transferring genes from one organism to another using plasmids as vectors (only covered briefly previously
)Identifying transformed organisms -
Replica Plating
PCR
Transcription and Translation detail of processes
Sequencing Genes using Sanger Sequencing
Electrophoresis (only covered briefly previously)Probes (only covered briefly previously)
DNA Fingerprinting (only covered briefly previously)Uses of transgenic organisms
(edited 8 years ago)
my teacher said these, she gave us a list
Reflex arc Eye - distribution of Rods and Cones sensitivity and acuityKinesisPacinian CorpusclesMyelin Sheath /speed of transmission of action potentialSynapses (only covered briefly)Regulation of Body Temperature (only covered briefly)Transferring genes from one organism to another using plasmids as vectors (only covered briefly previously)Identifying transformed organisms - Replica PlatingPCRTranscription and Translation detail of processesSequencing Genes using Sanger SequencingElectrophoresis (only covered briefly previously)Probes (only covered briefly previously)DNA Fingerprinting (only covered briefly previously)Uses of transgenic organisms

wow thank you so much for writing all that out. I don't feel like I know enough about Pacinian corpuscle other than stretch mediated ion channels or rod cells etc actually.
I definetly feel like they've hardly done much an transcription translation so I hope that comes up.
How are you feeling about the essay? I haven't done much AS stuff bc I haven't had the time :s
wow thank you so much for writing all that out. I don't feel like I know enough about Pacinian corpuscle other than stretch mediated ion channels or rod cells etc actually.
I definetly feel like they've hardly done much an transcription translation so I hope that comes up.
How are you feeling about the essay? I haven't done much AS stuff bc I haven't had the time :s

no worries haha, yeah im not too keen on pacinian corpuscles, the eye(but thats not too hard to go over) and dna tech
i think theres not much more i can do about the essay, as long as i read the question and do a good plan, i resat unit 1 and 2 so i'm okay on AS knowledge i think, just go over basics and recurring topics :smile: good luck!
Anyone has any key topic recommendations for AS stuff? D:
Original post by Martin11
Anyone has any key topic recommendations for AS stuff? D:

I'm literally just learning mitosis, meiosis and cell organelles, I don't have enjough time now to do anything else. Lots of people reckon DNA might come up as essay question
I'm literally just learning mitosis, meiosis and cell organelles, I don't have enjough time now to do anything else. Lots of people reckon DNA might come up as essay question

Sounds like a good start, I really don't have time to do other units either so hoping key topics would help make me prioritise my revision
Hi, I was just wondering have people learnt about Cystic Fibrosis and SCID as exaples of gene therapy etc
It's in the AQA T&T text book but the speciifcation literally just says

' The use of gene therapy to supplement defective genes' and Candidates should be able to evaluate the effectiveness of gene therapy

So do I need to learn the specific examples of Cystic Fibrosis and SCID or not?

Cystic fibrosis is technically on the spec so apparently can be counted for as the off spec. information on the essay! Worth learning :smile:
Original post by EmilyC96
Has anyone actually asked their teacher about it and if it's true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sent a message to our exam officer and he said the papers had been rewritten and they got them this morning

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending