The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 German Exam 18th June 2015

Couldn't find a thread on this already... How are you guys feeling about it? (the few German students that there are)
I have no idea how to prepare for it, we've ran out of past papers and there's only so much vocab I can learn!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by blackwid0w
Couldn't find a thread on this already... How are you guys feeling about it? (the few German students that there are)
I have no idea how to prepare for it, we've ran out of past papers and there's only so much vocab I can learn!

I'm feeling ok about it but I haven't revised much apart from on Memrise! I've learned the adjective endings tables and irregular verbs but I'll properly start revising on Friday (as I have 4 exams this week). Which book/film are you studying? I've done quite a few practice essays but not recently. It's difficult because there isn't many past papers and I need an A in German to get into Uni!
Reply 2
Original post by _phoebe
I'm feeling ok about it but I haven't revised much apart from on Memrise! I've learned the adjective endings tables and irregular verbs but I'll properly start revising on Friday (as I have 4 exams this week). Which book/film are you studying? I've done quite a few practice essays but not recently. It's difficult because there isn't many past papers and I need an A in German to get into Uni!

I'm doing Goodbye Lenin, you? I'm studying vocab on quizlet and i have done one essay since April, not going good lol.
I'm good with adjective endings but my worst enemy is the passive :frown: I need at least a B but I won't even get a C at this point, i hope you get your A!
Reply 3
hi, im doing goodbye lenin too- what essays have you done? :smile:
Reply 4
I'm doing Goodbye Lenin, you? I'm studying vocab on quizlet and i have done one essay since April, not going good lol.
I'm good with adjective endings but my worst enemy is the passive :frown: I need at least a B but I won't even get a C at this point, i hope you get your A!

I'm doing Jenseits der Stille:smile: yeah I need to go over the passive! I'm most worried about the translation in the exam, especially if they disguise a different tense. Thank you, I hope you get your B:smile: It's really stupid of me to be spending the least amount of time on the subject that I'm studying at Uni but I've been revising vocab all year round so I'm hoping I can get away with it, although I'm not relying on my oral exam, as it wasn't particularly great, haha.
Reply 5
In the markschemes for the essays there a section of Range and Idioms, does anyone know what that means and what you have to do to gain full marks in that section?
Reply 6
Original post by evavanh
In the markschemes for the essays there a section of Range and Idioms, does anyone know what that means and what you have to do to gain full marks in that section?

it's to do with the structures you use in order to convey your ideas. like using formal phrases correctly as you would in an english essay to make it more 'essay-like' and formal x
Reply 7
Original post by rachlutz
it's to do with the structures you use in order to convey your ideas. like using formal phrases correctly as you would in an english essay to make it more 'essay-like' and formal x

thank you!! Do you have any examples I could use? (I'm the only one in my year doing German so have no one to discuss these things with!)

Hey, I'm doing this exam too, and am also struggling with how to prepare, have you found any tips that are really helping ? x
Reply 9
Original post by evavanh
thank you!! Do you have any examples I could use? (I'm the only one in my year doing German so have no one to discuss these things with!)

Ah as if!! And not really specific ones- what I do is before I write a point think how you would write it to sound more formal so perhaps use the passive voice and connectives as you would in English, simple ones like 'es koennte vorgeschlagen werden,dass, obwohl...blabla... - as this sounds like a well thought through essay (as opposed to just expressing loads of points using loads of simple sentences). Try and vary your structure and make sure your introduction addresses the question but doesn't rewrite it or say what you plan to do in the essay. What film/book are you doing? How have you prepared for the translation- I find this the hardest part:s
Reply 10
Original post by rachlutz
Ah as if!! And not really specific ones- what I do is before I write a point think how you would write it to sound more formal so perhaps use the passive voice and connectives as you would in English, simple ones like 'es koennte vorgeschlagen werden,dass, obwohl...blabla... - as this sounds like a well thought through essay (as opposed to just expressing loads of points using loads of simple sentences). Try and vary your structure and make sure your introduction addresses the question but doesn't rewrite it or say what you plan to do in the essay. What film/book are you doing? How have you prepared for the translation- I find this the hardest part:s

Ah that is so helpful thank you! The translation is what I'll probably lose the most marks on, the majority of the vocab required is in the text they give you, but I always seem to disagree with that they've put on the mark scheme when doing past papers! I feel like I often translate more exactly what the passage says that they give us in English, but they always seem to put a different spin on it :/ im doing Der Vorleser, what are you doing??
Reply 11
Original post by evavanh
Ah that is so helpful thank you! The translation is what I'll probably lose the most marks on, the majority of the vocab required is in the text they give you, but I always seem to disagree with that they've put on the mark scheme when doing past papers! I feel like I often translate more exactly what the passage says that they give us in English, but they always seem to put a different spin on it :/ im doing Der Vorleser, what are you doing??

Exactly the same as me! the mark scheme makes it look so simple but I always get something different (and wrong) to it haha! Im doing goodbye lenin, hope we have good essay questions!!
Reply 12
What are you guys doing for drama? I'm doing goodbye lenin as a film, but I've often heard that the examiners are a lot tougher on those essays because so many people do them, so I think I'll attempt to do the play I've studied (Der Besuch der alten Dame) instead if the question is nice :/
Original post by bethy97
What are you guys doing for drama? I'm doing goodbye lenin as a film, but I've often heard that the examiners are a lot tougher on those essays because so many people do them, so I think I'll attempt to do the play I've studied (Der Besuch der alten Dame) instead if the question is nice :/

Yeah I was told that, because Goodbye Lenin is so popular they know it really well now.
As long as the questions are nice I'll be doing Der Vorleser hopefully
Reply 14
Original post by Roxanne18
Yeah I was told that, because Goodbye Lenin is so popular they know it really well now.
As long as the questions are nice I'll be doing Der Vorleser hopefully

What questions do you think will come uo for der Vorleser? I'm hoping for guilt or Michaeks relationships with women!
Original post by evavanh
What questions do you think will come uo for der Vorleser? I'm hoping for guilt or Michaeks relationships with women!

I'm not sure I'd be able to do those questions, I quite like the simple character question on Hanna, or from 2010 reason for her suicide, don't know if they'll come up as they were in previous years though, what do you think ?
Reply 16
Original post by Roxanne18
I'm not sure I'd be able to do those questions, I quite like the simple character question on Hanna, or from 2010 reason for her suicide, don't know if they'll come up as they were in previous years though, what do you think ?

Hm I doubt the same questions would come up, guilt is quite a big topic in the book and they haven't tested us on it yet, but really not sure!! I would quite like to get something on the relationship between hanna and Michael
Original post by evavanh
Hm I doubt the same questions would come up, guilt is quite a big topic in the book and they haven't tested us on it yet, but really not sure!! I would quite like to get something on the relationship between hanna and Michael

I know in 2012, it asked whether Michael was guilty for not saying anything in court, that wasn't too bad, but from the 10 essay titles they've already done I cant see whether they will get something different from.
I think I'd be okay with some of the topics its just whether I have enough to write the full essay :/
Anyone studying Goodbye Lenin that has any guesses on what the essay will be, i think it'll be a question based on Christiane!
Anyone doing Jenseits der Stille??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending