The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Guess Il just lower the grade boundaries and watch game of thrones instead :biggrin:
Essay for proteins... what i've planned so far:-

Enzymes
structure of protein eg primary, secondary, tertiary etc,
protein synthesis
hormones
digestion of proteins eg proteases perhaps?
splicing
mutation??

what else could we write about?
Original post by akiva.fink
Dont get stressed out. Quite often the Grade boundaries can be reasonably low for this paper. Last two years has been 67/100 for an A*

Thanks but biology just isn't my subject. I'll do papers all the time and get B's and maybe an A here and there but whenever the exam comes round, the paper I get is nothing like what the previous years get. I'm just unlucky I guess. I am in no shape to get a TOP grade like others here as Biology is not my strongest. I just need a D or B cos I got A*s in my ISA so then I'll get a C overall or something. Let's just hope for the best.
Original post by KateGeoghegan
DNA polymerase- forms phosphodiester bond between free nucleotides creating a complementary strand of DNA

RNA polymerase- as above but for RNA
Restriction endonucleases- cut at restriction sites thereby isolating the desired gene
Reverse Transcriptase- Forms cDNA from mRNA - used to isolate desired gene
Myosin ATPase- activated by calcium ions. Hydrolyses ATP molecule attached to the myosin head providing energy for the 'power stroke'
Peptidyl Transferase- forms peptide bonds between amino acids during translation
Acetylcholinesterase- hydrolyses acetylcholine thereby removing it from sodium ion channels allowing new action potentials to form
Adenylate cyclase- involved in the second-messenger model converting ATP to cAMP

Thaaaaaaaaaank you sooo much :smile: <3
Original post by Jessica Starfell
Just starting revising Unit 5, anyone have any notes or tips as they will be greatly appreciated :smile:
Also quick question, how many marks can you gain based of scientific application and Unit 1 and 2?

You have only just started ? I started today as well think I'm gunna have to stay up all night learning it.
Original post by Amphoteric
One of:

Ions
Enzymes
Proteins
Lipids
Carbohydrates
Polymers
Disease
ATP

Posted from TSR Mobile

What could be written for lipids? Seems quite limited, but any of the others would be pretty wonderful XD
Original post by sofja26
For the depolarisation of an axon- Is hyper polarisation basically the same as the refractory period?

Yes :smile:
Original post by KateGeoghegan
DNA polymerase- forms phosphodiester bond between free nucleotides creating a complementary strand of DNA

RNA polymerase- as above but for RNA
Restriction endonucleases- cut at restriction sites thereby isolating the desired gene
Reverse Transcriptase- Forms cDNA from mRNA - used to isolate desired gene
Myosin ATPase- activated by calcium ions. Hydrolyses ATP molecule attached to the myosin head providing energy for the 'power stroke'
Peptidyl Transferase- forms peptide bonds between amino acids during translation
Acetylcholinesterase- hydrolyses acetylcholine thereby removing it from sodium ion channels allowing new action potentials to form
Adenylate cyclase- involved in the second-messenger model converting ATP to cAMP

Hi, thanks for these enzymes theyre very useful. I have one question about the myosin ATPase- (I always get the sliding filament theory wrong) I believed that the myosin head attaches to the actin binding site and releases an ADP. I know this sounds stupid but the diagram in the book (by the Tooles) confuses me because it shows initially the myosin head having an ADP attached, then joins to the actin and releases this ADP, where does this myosin ATPase fit in with the model, I really would love some advice. Thanks
Original post by mrpolish
yes :smile:

thank youuuuu :smile:
Original post by shiney101
What could be written for lipids, seems quite limited

It is really :frown:

lipid soluble molecules being able to diffuse into the membranes of cells eg oestrogen perhaps?
digestion of lipids eg lipases
could maybe talk about CHD?
for something off the spec i'd prob talk about how lipids can be made by reacting glycerol with a triester or something for the structure but that's very chemistry based.
is there a list of definitions somewhere I can check against for possible Q1/Q2?
Original post by sofja26
Hi, thanks for these enzymes theyre very useful. I have one question about the myosin ATPase- (I always get the sliding filament theory wrong) I believed that the myosin head attaches to the actin binding site and releases an ADP. I know this sounds stupid but the diagram in the book (by the Tooles) confuses me because it shows initially the myosin head having an ADP attached, then joins to the actin and releases this ADP, where does this myosin ATPase fit in with the model, I really would love some advice. Thanks

I think it's when the myosin head binds and forms the cross bridge, it releases the ADP molecule (i think of it as 'clicking' into place and releasing it) this then binds with the enzyme ATPase, to make atp, which is needed to then break the cross-bridge and reposition the myosin head. :smile:
can anyone think of key words or phrases the mark schemes have liked in the past?
Can somebody explain to me the difference between convection, conduction, and radiation?
Well at least i'm not the only one haha, i only need an E in this test to get into uni, so i decided to leave it till the day before :P. i don't think ill stay up all night tho
Original post by Jessica Starfell
Well at least i'm not the only one haha, i only need an E in this test to get into uni, so i decided to leave it till the day before :P. i don't think ill stay up all night tho

I dont need biology but yea I want a c not that I will get it :biggrin:. For a d the grade boundaries are really low so you probally can just make it up :biggrin:
Original post by Ninainnarnia
I'd say probably do the most recent one, or find the one with the highest grade boundaries and practice the worst case scenario

thank you for the advice:smile:
Original post by KatiexZoe
Essay for proteins... what i've planned so far:-

Enzymes
structure of protein eg primary, secondary, tertiary etc,
protein synthesis
hormones
digestion of proteins eg proteases perhaps?
splicing
mutation??

what else could we write about?

You could write about haemoglobin, cell membranes, receptors (e.g. Adrenaline, oestrogen receptor complexes), enzyme application in Gene technology (ligase, reverse transcriptase, restriction endonucleases), antibodies and antigens, haemoglobin, plasma proteins and tissue fluid, myosin and actin (my teacher said they were proteins)... There's so much it's ridiculous!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending