The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bioevangelist
So long as you talk about H+ ions and HCO3- ions when carbonic acid dissociates in water. Kidney is not on AQA spec.

be careful with your wording of dissociates in water getting into some v heavy chemistry there
Original post by chemwarrior
Cotransport of Na+ and glucose in the intestine, Na+/K+ pump, absorption of nutrients in cells

Ahhh yes those are good ones. Oops better go revise co-transport for the first time since this time last year...

Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by Bustamove
What temperature is it that we need to know for PCR? my book is telling me two different things! help? I saw somewhere earlier on the thread about knowing it by the nearest 0.1 degree?

You don't need to know exact temperatures. 95ºC approximately for DNA separation (or DNA denaturation). About 45 to 60ºC for annealing of primers (binding) and about 72ºC for extension of the primers by Taq DNA polymerase.
Reply 1543
Original post by Bustamove
What temperature is it that we need to know for PCR? my book is telling me two different things! help? I saw somewhere earlier on the thread about knowing it by the nearest 0.1 degree?

yeah i was joking about the whole 0.1 degree thing XD.. i think you need to know that the optimum temp for DNA Polymerase is 72degrees & that its thermostable i think initially its 95 degrees to separate the DNA strands but i could be wrong
Should we put a line through our essay plan?
Original post by charlottei
Guys please I need some examples of active transport?
My mind has gone completely blank...

Synapses? Muscles? What else?

water transport into xylem
Reply 1546
Original post by TM96
yeah i was joking about the whole 0.1 degree thing XD.. i think you need to know that the optimum temp for DNA Polymerase is 72degrees & that its thermostable i think initially its 95 degrees to separate the DNA strands but i could be wrong

You don't need to know exact temperatures. 95ºC approximately for DNA separation (or DNA denaturation). About 45 to 60ºC for annealing of primers (binding) and about 72ºC for extension of the primers by Taq DNA polymerase.

Original post by adam_y23
95 to 52 to 77The guy was joking

Ah LOL
Thanks guys :smile:
Original post by mck9777

No
Original post by charlottei
Guys please I need some examples of active transport?
My mind has gone completely blank...

Synapses? Muscles? What else?

Ions into root hair cells and into the xylem. Possible active transport of auxins from one side of a shoot to the other (although debatable). Na / K pump in neurones and in gut epithelial cells. Active transport of pyruvate into mitochondria. There's a few....
Original post by mck9777

no no no they apparently might refer to this to mark
So long as you talk about H+ ions and HCO3- ions when carbonic acid dissociates in water. Kidney is not on AQA spec.

im trying to do an ions essay, what else can be included? as in from unit 1 and 2
Someone sold the biol5 paper yesterday on eBay for £305

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nchomuzinda

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd rather fail then waste £305 on a biology A level
Can anyone explain the effect of oestrogen on gene transcription??

Posted from TSR Mobile
aight lets hope the paper will be nice including the essay >.<
Reply 1556
Original post by ember8
im trying to do an ions essay, what else can be included? as in from unit 1 and 2

My basic plan is:
Transport in plants
Nitrogen cycle
Proteins - Fe2+ group in haemoglobin and ionic bonds in tertiary structures
Synapses
Ca2+ in muscle contraction
Cl- in cholera
Sodium potassium pump in gut/axon
H+ in ETC and in regulating blood pH
Pi in ATP and DNA

Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ma *****
Does anyone know if transpiration has a purpose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

what's the point in that when we're getting a replacement one??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending