The Student Room Group

A2 Unit 4 Edexcel - Tectonics

Scroll to see replies

Mine is probably a lot - 10 case studies and I managed to remember all of them in my recent mock. The best way to memorise is rewrite them over, over and over until you are satisfied with it. Don't forget to memorise the theories or models as you need to link them to case studies for higher marks. I really like unit 4! :biggrin:
Reply 61
please could you post your other notes too i found these really useful
anybody out any example reports they've done that they are willing to share? I need some inspiration
Original post by ellieplumb
anybody out any example reports they've done that they are willing to share? I need some inspiration

Here are few examples i have found useful, i do not take credit for any of these materials.
Has anyone got sources for the definitions of these words?
Tectonic hazard
disaster
Impacts
Severity
Vulnerability
Original post by PureDetermination
Has anyone got sources for the definitions of these words?
Tectonic hazard
disaster
Impacts
Severity
Vulnerability

hope this helps and ehm no sure about this but i think severity is things like your VEI, basically it's things that are severely different to a same hazard i think so like a earthquake you use the frequency and magnitude to figure out the severity of the impact.

Hazard - A hazard is a preserved natural event, which threatens both human life and property, Disaster is the realization of that hazard” John Whittow Quote ·
Vulnerability - potential to be harmed. ·
Tectonic Hazard Geophysical events, they are either seismic (earthquake) and secondary hazards (volcanoes and tsunamis) ·
Challenges –“A task or situation that tests someone’s abilities”– Oxford Dictionary ·
Hotspot - Points in the oceans where molten material from the mantle breaks through to the surface, caused by convectional plumes. E.g. Hawaiian Islands
(edited 8 years ago)
Does anyone know the population density for the Mount St Helens 1980 eruption?
Original post by geoAbdul
hope this helps and ehm no sure about this but i think severity is things like your VEI, basically it's things that are severely different to a same hazard i think so like a earthquake you use the frequency and magnitude to figure out the severity of the impact.

Hazard - A hazard is a preserved natural event, which threatens both human life and property, Disaster is the realization of that hazard” John Whittow Quote ·
Vulnerability - potential to be harmed. ·
Tectonic Hazard Geophysical events, they are either seismic (earthquake) and secondary hazards (volcanoes and tsunamis) ·
Challenges –“A task or situation that tests someone’s abilities”– Oxford Dictionary ·
Hotspot - Points in the oceans where molten material from the mantle breaks through to the surface, caused by convectional plumes. E.g. Hawaiian Islands

Thank you so much! Also out of curiosity is everyone drawing the diagram for convection currents?
Thank you so much! Also out of curiosity is everyone drawing the diagram for convection currents?

No problem. It would be a good idea i guess, but the diagram does not have to be in great detail.
Reply 69
How many theories/models/concepts are you guys using? I will probably use four including the disaster risk equation however if I can get away with less then I will, but going with four just in case.
I will have three subheadings, with two contrasting case studies for each.. so six in total, is that too little? Saw some people on here say they're using ten. Just hoping I'm doing this correctly :P
One last questions... Are you including evaluation in your main body or in your conclusion or perhaps separately?
Original post by Jagray
How many theories/models/concepts are you guys using? I will probably use four including the disaster risk equation however if I can get away with less then I will, but going with four just in case.
I will have three subheadings, with two contrasting case studies for each.. so six in total, is that too little? Saw some people on here say they're using ten. Just hoping I'm doing this correctly :P
One last questions... Are you including evaluation in your main body or in your conclusion or perhaps separately?

Yeah four is fine, just use as many as you can really as long as it fits with the purpose of the question then, you can have Kates model , Degg's model , crunch model, Park's model, disaster risk equation, even plate boundary diagrams.

I've seen examples of six in total just as you explained get A / A* but they are really in detail and i would suggest you do evaluation continuously throughout the whole report. Me personally i'm gonna do 8.
What is everyone using as their framework?
What is everyone discussing/referencing in their introduction.
Reply 72
I feel 4 models and 6 case studies is adequate but of course more is better :smile: My only problem if the time limit, I don't see how people can write whole sections in 10-20 minutes!
So you're going to use evaluation in the intro, main body AND conclusion? I think the mark scheme says award marks if used throughout but they might mean, award marks throughout regardless of where a candidate has put the evaluation. I dunno it just seems unorganised if evaluation is in each section :/
Also my teacher has told us to put models and theories in the intro only, is that weird? I'm doing it because it's the only way I've learnt and don't want to change it now.
Thank you for replying so fast :smile:

Original post by geoAbdul
Yeah four is fine, just use as many as you can really as long as it fits with the purpose of the question then, you can have Kates model , Degg's model , crunch model, Park's model, disaster risk equation, even plate boundary diagrams.

I've seen examples of six in total just as you explained get A / A* but they are really in detail and i would suggest you do evaluation continuously throughout the whole report. Me personally i'm gonna do 8.
Original post by Jagray
I feel 4 models and 6 case studies is adequate but of course more is better :smile: My only problem if the time limit, I don't see how people can write whole sections in 10-20 minutes!
So you're going to use evaluation in the intro, main body AND conclusion? I think the mark scheme says award marks if used throughout but they might mean, award marks throughout regardless of where a candidate has put the evaluation. I dunno it just seems unorganised if evaluation is in each section :/
Also my teacher has told us to put models and theories in the intro only, is that weird? I'm doing it because it's the only way I've learnt and don't want to change it now.
Thank you for replying so fast :smile:

no thats not a problem, yh the mark scheme did say that im just gonna do it anyway xD to be on the safe side.
Reply 74
What is everyone using as their framework?
What is everyone discussing/referencing in their introduction.

Introduction
-refer to title
-definitions
- focus of report
-models, theories or concepts
-say what report will include (case studies)
Methodology Table
Main Body (2x Case studies, compare and contrast and evaluate them for each sub section and referring to any models to aid in evaluation)
-sub section
-sub section
-sub section
Conclusion
-comment on complexity of question
- my opinions/draw a conclusion
- recall case studies used to support this complexity of question and my own opinions

^^^^ something like this I hope
anyone got any essays to share?
Is is Dregg's model or Degg's model of disaster??
Original post by cherryblossoms
Is is Dregg's model or Degg's model of disaster??

just Degg's model , thats what it says in the edexcel unit 4 geography textbook
Hey guys, how many case studies do you think is necessary?
Original post by The 1920s chick
Hey guys, how many case studies do you think is necessary?

I would say learn between 8 and 6.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending