The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Rooney is a good player but I don't see the hype with him since about 2013 he's been declining from his performances before hand. He's slower, not a great dribbler, not an incisive passer.

Tevez was always the better player out of the two. Besides the Rooney of 09/10 who was absolutely beast.

Rooney 11/12 was better tbh. Anyway he's had to sacrifice himself for the team in recent years to accommodate RvP, give balance to our midfield etc. can see him getting 20 goals next season.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Depleted
Rooney 11/12 was better tbh. Anyway he's had to sacrifice himself for the team in recent years to accommodate RvP, give balance to our midfield etc. can see him getting 20 goals next season.

Na, Rooney 09/10 I feel completed parts of his repertoire that wasn't there before, i.e. he started getting much better in the air and was the heartbeat of the team in a time where all your attacking options had just left, yet he still put you guys a point of the title. It can't be understated how good Tevez and Ronaldo were for you lot, so for Rooney to take the mantle like that deserves more credit than in 11/12, where e.g. Valencia had his best season in a United shirt and Nani had a good season too.

Also I really liked Hernandez in 12/13. Most people remember him for his first season but 12/13 he was just as useful.
Original post by jam277
Na, Rooney 09/10 I feel completed parts of his repertoire that wasn't there before, i.e. he started getting much better in the air and was the heartbeat of the team in a time where all your attacking options had just left, yet he still put you guys a point of the title. It can't be understated how good Tevez and Ronaldo were for you lot, so for Rooney to take the mantle like that deserves more credit than in 11/12, where e.g. Valencia had his best season in a United shirt and Nani had a good season too.

Also I really liked Hernandez in 12/13. Most people remember him for his first season but 12/13 he was just as useful.

He did add ariel ability, but he padded his stats a fair bit tbh, remember him scoring a lot of goals in 3 and 4 goal wins, scored a lot more winners in 11/12. True we did have Nani in form that year but the midfield was pretty awful in all honesty, Cleverley and Anderson was absolute poverty so we brought Scholes out of retirement.

Yeah he played well that year, did the super sub role amazingly. Would you take him at Chelsea as back up btw?
He did add ariel ability, but he padded his stats a fair bit tbh, remember him scoring a lot of goals in 3 and 4 goal wins, scored a lot more winners in 11/12. True we did have Nani in form that year but the midfield was pretty awful in all honesty, Cleverley and Anderson was absolute poverty so we brought Scholes out of retirement.

Yeah he played well that year, did the super sub role amazingly. Would you take him at Chelsea as back up btw?

Cleverley and Anderson were great lol it's just that they both got injured at the exact same time, Carrick came in and started poorly, Fletcher got that virus and fergie was too busy being a racist to that french kid so that's why Scholes came out of retirement.

I wouldn't tbh unless he's 3rd choice. I think Real suited him when he did play but Chelsea do not have the same creative ability that Hernandez thrives on. Also Chelsea are a small team in midfield besides Matic in the first team, so a small striker will make it easier to play us, especially when he's not the most technically gifted. Could do with a Mario Gomez style backup, while I see why we're in for El Tigre but I don't think Mourinho having a guy with Drogba's style of play as a third choice striker was a coincidence, who despite being completely shot as a player offered a lot to the team with his aerial ability.
Original post by jam277
Cleverley and Anderson were great lol it's just that they both got injured at the exact same time, Carrick came in and started poorly, Fletcher got that virus and fergie was too busy being a racist to that french kid so that's why Scholes came out of retirement.

I wouldn't tbh unless he's 3rd choice. I think Real suited him when he did play but Chelsea do not have the same creative ability that Hernandez thrives on. Also Chelsea are a small team in midfield besides Matic in the first team, so a small striker will make it easier to play us, especially when he's not the most technically gifted. Could do with a Mario Gomez style backup, while I see why we're in for El Tigre but I don't think Mourinho having a guy with Drogba's style of play as a third choice striker was a coincidence, who despite being completely shot as a player offered a lot to the team with his aerial ability.

They were good at the start tbf, both dropped off, Carrick had a poor season tbh. Remember us scoring for fun in those days though, used to pummel teams on a regular. Also would say Rooney 07/08 could potentially be one of his best, his link up and counter attacking play with Ronaldo and Tevez/Park was insane. Park was a great counter attacking player.

Agree. He suits teams who play a lot of balls in behind, not the best at holding up, linking or drifting into the channels. He's good late on at exploiting space and dragging defenders out when you need a goal though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Didn't realise this was the Man United thread.
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
Didn't realise this was the Man United thread.

Let's be honest; it's barely the Arsenal thread anyway...
Original post by Stefano93
Lol? Maybe about 5 years ago, not now.

And Euro 2004 team of the tournament was 11 years ago. He was talking about his career as a whole
Original post by sr90
When he's retired he can look back on this career:

- Record goalscorer for the biggest club in the country and second highest Premier League goalscorer of all time, despite playing in multiple positions for the benefit of the team.
- Captain of the biggest club in the country
- Record goalscorer and captain for national team
- World XI, Golden Boy, Euro 2004 Team of the Tournament and countless POTY awards
- A whole host of trophies, including more Premier League titles than the entire Arsenal squad put together
- Played at the highest level for 10-15 years
- One of the most marketable players in world football

Yeh he's ****ing terrible isn't he

?

I don't think Rooney is terrible, I'm just agreeing that he's underrated/ under appreciated atm and probably throughout his career imo.

We love to **** on good players we have and overhype rubbish player was my point.
(edited 8 years ago)
When asked in an interview with Shortlist if England struggle to produce world class players, Messi said: “I am not sure that it is true.
“If you look at the technical ability of a player like Wayne Rooney, he is as good as any player in Europe.
“Rooney has exceptional quality. Not just great technical ability, but also works very hard for his team.

“I'm sure Manchester United will never want to let him leave, though.”

Don't need fake quotes pal, guy oozes quality that many fans fail to appreciate.

Just because real quotes exist on how great the guy is doesn't mean fake quotes won't come to fruition.

Heck the examples you gave will probably be embellished. Let's starts "I'd love for him to play at barca and it's one of my only regret that MU will never want to let him leave"
Paul Scholes is the King of made up quotes.
Scholes is now painfully overrated
Original post by The Shed End
Paul Scholes is the King of made up quotes.

Original post by Zürich
Scholes is now painfully overrated

Don't you know he once hit a tree from 50 yards away in training though
http://i.imgur.com/3jV9pGM.gifv

Oxlade Chamberlain career highlights FULL
Original post by swirly
http://i.imgur.com/3jV9pGM.gifv

Oxlade Chamberlain career highlights FULL

Would have been decent if he hadn't dived at the end. Got a bit of Thierry Henry about him.
Shows the best and worst of AOC. Unbelievable power and good directness/dribbling but held onto the ball for too long. If he learns when to release the ball at the right time he'll be in our XI every game
Pretty clear why we rejected Schneiderlin, if he wants £150k he can get in the bin tbh. Good thing is that there are still a lot of options in the DM/CM market.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Good thing is that there are still a lot of options in the DM/CM market.

like who though?

The Benders don't want a move, and the clubs aren't prepared to sell either.

Vidal is a B2B, not a DM. would probably need to played next to Coq, which questions the futures of JW/ AR.

tfw a injury plagued squad goes to Old Trafford having to play a 433 midfield of Arteta, Flamini, Coq. :colonhash:
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Pretty clear why we rejected Schneiderlin, if he wants £150k he can get in the bin tbh. Good thing is that there are still a lot of options in the DM/CM market.

Really? Who else is available bar Vidal?

Wish Cech would just be confirmed, he should be a top top signing, but people are going to expect A LOT from him, a couple of bad performances or no highlight reel saves in his first 10 games and I could see a lot our ****tier fans/ twitter mob turning on him quickly :redface:
The Vidal rumour is odd tbh. Ramsey/Wilshere both play B2B so why would be go for a 3rd?

Schneiderlin at £150k is a joke as well, would need to be getting Javi Martinez for that kind of dough

Latest