The Student Room Group

Help needed w/ Self-studying OCR Philosophy and Ethics

Hey, I've been told today that I cannot do both Maths and RS for A levels, because they're in a conflicting option block.

Is self studing OCR RS and getting An A with high UMS reasonably achievable (for AS, and A2)?
What is the workload for this subject like?
Are there any resources, or tips in general you would recommend for such subject?

Yes, I'm sure that I want to do both Maths and RS, and I've studied A level RS briefly in year 11 (before I used that time to revise for my gcses). I achieved an A* at Gcse RS, but I doubt that's relevant.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.
So are you studying philosophy and ethics or RS? In my College they are two different subjects but one part of the course is the same (ethics). So basically if you can't do RS, can you do Philosophy and ethics?

It is possible to get a high grade if you choose to do it by yourself but without a teacher it would be hard. I suggest a tutor? Also, If you wanted to do RS at the same time as your other Alevels, only take 3 in school and then study RS at home - otherwise the work will be to much.

Tips. If your studying RS by yourself, I suggest you get ahead before college starts. It depends what exam board your on but I do one exam on The new testament and one on ethics. You could read the bible and look up ethical theorys like Kant and utilitarianism. The key to success is learning the terminology.

Good luck
Original post by Sowercherry
So are you studying philosophy and ethics or RS? In my College they are two different subjects but one part of the course is the same (ethics). So basically if you can't do RS, can you do Philosophy and ethics?

It is possible to get a high grade if you choose to do it by yourself but without a teacher it would be hard. I suggest a tutor? Also, If you wanted to do RS at the same time as your other Alevels, only take 3 in school and then study RS at home - otherwise the work will be to much.

Tips. If your studying RS by yourself, I suggest you get ahead before college starts. It depends what exam board your on but I do one exam on The new testament and one on ethics. You could read the bible and look up ethical theorys like Kant and utilitarianism. The key to success is learning the terminology.

Good luck

Hey :smile:
Mind me asking, how is your school teaching the units for the New testament paper? Are you using any study guides in particular? I too like the OP would like to self teach this A level in a year but in the New testament and ethics units.
So it would be like theology.
The only problem is that I can not find any study guides for the New testament unit- I know we have the bible but I have no clue what to study in the new testament and what they would like me to analyse in order to prepare for the exam. Also how do we use the anthology? I was told to look at the anthology for later exams, do I learn some of the quotes or?
Sigh, I have been looking for notes everywhere and nothing. Please if you know where I can find notes or if you have any, it would be much appreciated if you could share them :h: l I don't know if I should just transfer over to Philosophy and ethics instead since I found many resources for those units. Why I wanted to do the new testament mainly was because it was what I had taken at GCSE with Marks gospel etc and I am a Christian so I know some aspects.
Original post by vd12345
Hey, I've been told today that I cannot do both Maths and RS for A levels, because they're in a conflicting option block.

Is self studing OCR RS and getting An A with high UMS reasonably achievable (for AS, and A2)?
What is the workload for this subject like?
Are there any resources, or tips in general you would recommend for such subject?

Yes, I'm sure that I want to do both Maths and RS, and I've studied A level RS briefly in year 11 (before I used that time to revise for my gcses). I achieved an A* at Gcse RS, but I doubt that's relevant.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

Hey, I did ocr Philosophy and ethics as my two units in RS, it is admittedly easy. what you could do is explain your situation to the RS teacher and ask them to give you all the things they'll use in class.

I got an A by literally making revision notes on everything that I got from college (I could give the revision notes to you if you like so that you can use them), also this website is really good- http://www.rsrevision.com/Alevel/ethics/natural_law/

Plus if you get the specification and learn everything it says to do on that because that's pretty much what the exam will be on.

Last note when it comes to around feb or march then start doing loads of practice essays or plan essay questions- you could these to the rs teacher and they could mark them for you

Hope this helps
Original post by Lostrider
Hey, I did ocr Philosophy and ethics as my two units in RS, it is admittedly easy. what you could do is explain your situation to the RS teacher and ask them to give you all the things they'll use in class.

I got an A by literally making revision notes on everything that I got from college (I could give the revision notes to you if you like so that you can use them), also this website is really good- http://www.rsrevision.com/Alevel/ethics/natural_law/

Plus if you get the specification and learn everything it says to do on that because that's pretty much what the exam will be on.

Last note when it comes to around feb or march then start doing loads of practice essays or plan essay questions- you could these to the rs teacher and they could mark them for you

Hope this helps

Hey,
Hope you don't mind me asking, is it ok to have the notes too? I don't know what to expect from religious studies at the moment.
Original post by Cherry82
Hey,
Hope you don't mind me asking, is it ok to have the notes too? I don't know what to expect from religious studies at the moment.

yeah sure they're on paper so I'll see if I can send to the pics of them, I'm at college right now so I'll do it when I get home lol (do you only want the ethics notes?) :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6

Hope this helps

Thank you, I appreciate it.
However, I decided to do double maths, and the three sciences. I really should have deleted this thread, but your comment probably helped others. Thank you.
Original post by vd12345
Thank you, I appreciate it.
However, I decided to do double maths, and the three sciences. I really should have deleted this thread, but your comment probably helped others. Thank you.

oh right, no problem.

Good luck with your courses
yeah sure they're on paper so I'll see if I can send to the pics of them, I'm at college right now so I'll do it when I get home lol (do you only want the ethics notes?) :smile:

Thanks x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending