The Student Room Group

I've identified myself as greysexual, ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Watch Key Phone
I'm going to copy-paste part of a previous post of mine, here:

(the snarkiness was directed at the person I was replying to, not to you)

Well I do see your point here in that labels have a good purpose, but "identity politics" refers to when people abuse these categories for their own ends, often because they think they're acting in the best interests of what is perceived to be a persecuted group (it almost never is though). For example, it would be fine for the OP to say "I'm greysexual, sorry" to a prospective sexual partner as a euphemism for "I'm not interested", but to create more and more individually-recognised "gender identities" seems pointless and counter-productive. The real way to "celebrate diversity" is to not put people into these unnecessary group identities.
Original post by felamaslen
Well I do see your point here in that labels have a good purpose, but "identity politics" refers to when people abuse these categories for their own ends, often because they think they're acting in the best interests of what is perceived to be a persecuted group (it almost never is though). For example, it would be fine for the OP to say "I'm greysexual, sorry" to a prospective sexual partner as a euphemism for "I'm not interested", but to create more and more individually-recognised "gender identities" seems pointless and counter-productive. The real way to "celebrate diversity" is to not put people into these unnecessary group identities.

Can you give me an example of 'abusing' these categories to their own ends? What other ends are possible when you are giving yourself a label for your identity?

Yes, it's true that the ideal would be for there to be no need for identities like these. But the fact is, there is a need. Because society is overwhelmingly rejecting of anyone who isn't cisgender and heterosexual. It's like saying we shouldn't use words to describe race because 'racism is bad'. Yes, it's bad. And until it gets better, words and labels are needed, in order for people to protect themselves from oppression.
Can you give me an example of 'abusing' these categories to their own ends? What other ends are possible when you are giving yourself a label for your identity?

Yes, it's true that the ideal would be for there to be no need for identities like these. But the fact is, there is a need. Because society is overwhelmingly rejecting of anyone who isn't cisgender and heterosexual. It's like saying we shouldn't use words to describe race because 'racism is bad'. Yes, it's bad. And until it gets better, words and labels are needed, in order for people to protect themselves from oppression.

Well, I once had to fill in a form which asked me if I was (a) male, (b) female, (c) other, or (d) "prefer not to say". And then it asked me whether I was "gay", "bisexual", "other" or "prefer not to say" (there was no option for "straight" for some reason :lol:).

Jokes aside, I think the issue of race which you mentioned is a case in point. As I think Morgan Freeman once said, we will never ditch racism until we stop thinking of each other as members of different races. Calling yourself black or white or whatever does not serve to protect you, all it serves to do is create a needless label which bullies can exploit to do further harm to you. The best, and only real way of protecting ourselves from oppression is by treating everybody equally under the law and not assigning each other to ridiculous groupthink categories.
Original post by felamaslen
Well, I once had to fill in a form which asked me if I was (a) male, (b) female, (c) other, or (d) "prefer not to say". And then it asked me whether I was "gay", "bisexual", "other" or "prefer not to say" (there was no option for "straight" for some reason :lol:).

Jokes aside, I think the issue of race which you mentioned is a case in point. As I think Morgan Freeman once said, we will never ditch racism until we stop thinking of each other as members of different races. Calling yourself black or white or whatever does not serve to protect you, all it serves to do is create a needless label which bullies can exploit to do further harm to you. The best, and only real way of protecting ourselves from oppression is by treating everybody equally under the law and not assigning each other to ridiculous groupthink categories.

I don't see how that is abusing labels?

No, that's not true. You really think that if a ginger-haired kid stands in the playground and says "My hair is just hair the same as yours!", the other children will stop teasing? You're kidding yourself if you think deleting labels is going to magically remove years of historical oppression - for race, gender, sexuality, or anything else.
I don't see how that is abusing labels?

No, that's not true. You really think that if a ginger-haired kid stands in the playground and says "My hair is just hair the same as yours!", the other children will stop teasing? You're kidding yourself if you think deleting labels is going to magically remove years of historical oppression - for race, gender, sexuality, or anything else.

If that kid were to then go around with a T-shirt on saying "ginger and proud" or something similar, he'd be giving the bullies the time of day that they need by taking the insult seriously. Better to ignore them, or prosecute for simple harassment or assault if it comes to that.
(edited 10 years ago)
i've been struggling with sexuality. i currently identify as a panromantic lesbian who doesn't really like sex, until an ace friend of mine suggested i research "grey asexuality". i did and it made PERFECT sense. what i read fit me EXACTLY. but... how do i tell my girlfriend? how do i say "i'm not the only one who's body is 'weird' " ?
(edited 8 years ago)
So basically you're abnormal. Interesting.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
So basically you're abnormal. Interesting.

when you say abnormal it seems to have a negative connotation. is that how you meant it to be?
Original post by pixieluv4
when you say abnormal it seems to have a negative connotation. is that how you meant it to be?

You can take whatever connotations you wish from my reply :smile: It was not "meant" to say anything other than what it did. No alternative meanings that you come up with lol.

Quick Reply

Latest