The Student Room Group

Edexcel: S3 or D1?

Hey guys, I need to pick my sixth FM module and I can't pick between D1 or S3. Both look like a drag, to be honest, but my teacher says D1 is a riskier exam and it proves to be of no use learning. Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
S3 is very useful so it is a no brainer ...
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
S3 is very useful so it is a no brainer ...

This is what I was thinking, Mr Madas. Are the Heinemann textbook and past papers enough? How much harder are concepts compared to S1 and S2?
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Hey guys, I need to pick my sixth FM module and I can't pick between D1 or S3. Both look like a drag, to be honest, but my teacher says D1 is a riskier exam and it proves to be of no use learning. Any advice?

D1 is not risky and the material is very useful - some of the techniques are part of a degree and very useful in real life.

Virtually all of my students get an A on this module and quite a few get 100 UMS.
Reply 4
This is what I was thinking, Mr Madas. Are the Heinemann textbook and past papers enough? How much harder are concepts compared to S1 and S2?

Practically the same difficulty as S2
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
D1 is not risky and the material is very useful - some of the techniques are part of a degree and very useful in real life.

Virtually all of my students get an A on this module and quite a few get 100 UMS.

How long would the content take me to learn the content if I were self teaching? Also, would you recommend it over S3? If it's easy UMS, it'd be a good idea to take it.
How long would the content take me to learn the content if I were self teaching? Also, would you recommend it over S3? If it's easy UMS, it'd be a good idea to take it.

D1 is also an AS module so is considered easier than S3 an A2 module!

Some of my F Maths students self-teach D1 in a few weeks - it depends what other work you have. The algorityms you will learn are powerful, but owing to time constraints, the questions are not always inspiring. I learnt some of the material at uni so can share how the techniques are used in real-life.

Some teachers don't regard decision maths as 'real maths' but considering the appication to computing, networks, etc I think its just as valid as pure.
I did both .. definitely go for S3. No doubt.

Also since S3 is an A2 module .. it is an extra module which can help towards your A*. With D1 you will probably have 3 A2 modules so you will need 90% across them three to get A*.

If you repace D1 for S3, you will have 4 A2 modules in FM, you have to get 90% any three to get A*. So if M2 turns out to be a bad paper and you mess up, still have an extra A2 module to rely on
Original post by Bealzibub
I did both .. definitely go for S3. No doubt.

Also since S3 is an A2 module .. it is an extra module which can help towards your A*. With D1 you will probably have 3 A2 modules so you will need 90% across them three to get A*.

If you repace D1 for S3, you will have 4 A2 modules in FM, you have to get 90% any three to get A*. So if M2 turns out to be a bad paper and you mess up, still have an extra A2 module to rely on

That just not logical! D1 might end up in his maths grade anyway ...

You do know how modules are allocated to maths and Further maths don't you?
Reply 9
That just not logical! D1 might end up in his maths grade anyway ...

You do know how modules are allocated to maths and Further maths don't you?

This is what I thought - D1 would most likely end up in my Maths grade and S3 could potentially be an A*. I've heard that it's a relatively short module while D1 is lengthy. Is that true?
Reply 10
This is what I thought - D1 would most likely end up in my Maths grade and S3 could potentially be an A*. I've heard that it's a relatively short module while D1 is lengthy. Is that true?

I'd say they're similar length to be honest. S3 probably has less techniques, but because a lot of the concepts are new it probably evens out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im also doing Further Maths and I did C1, C2, M1, D1, FP1 and FP2 this year; and am doing FP3, C3-4, M2, D2 and S1 next year. So while I can't speak for the statistics modules I do believe D1 is the easiest Maths module and is certainly easier than M1, maybe even C1. It would just be easy UMS IMO.
Reply 12

Don't do D1. It's terrible. Even if you're tempted to do it because everyone says how 'easy' it is.

It doesn't involve any mathematical thinking at all, and even if you learn all of the algorithms and do all of the past papers, you can still completely mess up.

When you take in the ridiculous time constraints and the pressure of an examination, it's just not worth it.

A maths exam which relies on luck and accuracy should not even be considered. I can't strongly advise against doing it enough.

It's not a test of your Mathematical ability, and it's quite frankly an insult to the whole syllabus.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Gwaine
Don't do D1. It's terrible. Even if you're tempted to do it because everyone says how 'easy' it is.

It doesn't involve any mathematical thinking at all, and even if you learn all of the algorithms and do all of the past papers, you can still completely mess up.

When you take in the ridiculous time constraints and the pressure of an examination, it's just not worth it.

A maths exam which relies on luck and accuracy should not even be considered. I can't strongly advise against doing it enough.

It's not a test of your Mathematical ability, and it's quite frankly an insult to the whole syllabus.

You have the same point my teacher had.

There are so many contrasting opinions, I'm actually a little confused what to do. A friend of mine is doing D1 because he doesn't want to do M3 but he's completely baffled by the content now. :tongue: I guess I'll be doing S3 and if I find it too difficult, I'll teach myself D1. The only problem is that ExamSolutions has nothing on S3 while I have HegartyMaths and m4ths for D1 - I'll just have to rely on the Edexcel S3 textbook then.
Reply 14
You have the same point my teacher had.

There are so many contrasting opinions, I'm actually a little confused what to do. A friend of mine is doing D1 because he doesn't want to do M3 but he's completely baffled by the content now. :tongue: I guess I'll be doing S3 and if I find it too difficult, I'll teach myself D1. The only problem is that ExamSolutions has nothing on S3 while I have HegartyMaths and m4ths for D1 - I'll just have to rely on the Edexcel S3 textbook then.

In my opinion if you are in any doubt about doing D1 then don't do it.

Speaking from my own experience I did D1 along with C1 and C2 in my first year of A Level Maths. I was also doing Computing alongside it, which is why it was recommended that I did that module.

The content was, as most people say, very easy and admittedly quite interesting in places.

However, to do all of the questions in the D1 paper within the time constraint accurately was simply for me an impossible task.

I did very well in C1 and C2, but the D1 paper was a complete flop, so it brought the grade right down to a mere C. Other people on the other hand, who also got a C, did badly in C1 and C2 but great in D1.

This brings me to my view that if people can achieve the same grade as you by succeeding in a less mathematical field of study, then something's not right.

The biggest problem with the D1 exams is that the revision guide and resources available on the internet simply aren't enough to prepare you for the unexpected.

If Edexcel (or other exam boards) throw in unexpected questions in other maths modules, it's not such an issue because you'll still get method marks and resources such as Solomon papers are also available to you.

In D1 it's almost always either 1 mark or full marks. That's the biggest problem.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry to hijack the thread, but would you guys recommend M2 or D1 for self-teaching AS Further Maths? I start formal teaching on the A2 FM in just over a month so I basically need something that will be quick and easy (I'm also self-teaching M1 and FP1 now)
Original post by Gwaine

You couldn't be more wrong. You are wrong on every point you make.

The algorithms are used in sat navs, networking and many areas of business. It is the newest maths you will do ...
Reply 17
You couldn't be more wrong. You are wrong on every point you make.

The algorithms are used in sat navs, networking and many areas of business. It is the newest maths you will do ...

I'm actually not 'Wrong' at all, it's my opinion. Deal with it. And an experienced, informed one at that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gwaine
I'm actually not 'Wrong' at all, it's my opinion. Deal with it. And an experienced, informed one at that.

I very much doubt that your opinion is more 'experienced and informed' than mine - I've seen thousands of pupils through A level.
Original post by Gwaine

It's really easy, but it actually is real maths.

Quick Reply

Latest