The Student Room Group

Should I ask for a re-certification of my edexcel mathematics grade?

my units have been combined as following:
Mathematics c12 c34 m1 d1 Grade: C
Further Mathematics f1 f2 m2 m3 s1 s2 Grade: D
Now if edexcel had combined c12 c34 with s1 s2 or c12 c34 with m1 s1 I could have gotten a B.
I had AS mathematics cash in code,AS further cash in code, A level mathematics cash in code and A level further cash in code.
Is there any way to change my mathematics grade even if it means dropping further mathematics? Will re-certification help at all?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rifan02
Now if edexcel had combined c12 c34 with s1 s2 or c12 c34 with m1 s1 I could have gotten a B.
I had AS mathematics cash in code,AS further cash in code, A level mathematics cash in code and A level further cash in code.
Is there any way to change my mathematics grade even if it means dropping further mathematics? Will re-certification help at all?

Nobody can guarantee what the outcome of a remark would be. In some cases you come away with lower marks after a remark rather than higher ones. The best thing is to speak to your teacher and ask them to help you decide whether its worth it.
Reply 2
I dont want a remark. I want the board to change my module combinations(IF THAT IS POSSIBLE!) so that my mathematics grade changes to B.
Original post by rifan02

talk to your exams officer who can look at your ums scores and can contact edexcel on your behalf. your maths grade should have been optimised automatically if your entries and cash in were done correctly.
Original post by gdunne42
talk to your exams officer who can look at your ums scores and can contact edexcel on your behalf. your maths grade should have been optimised automatically if your entries and cash in were done correctly.

Is there a time limit to when you can ask for a re-cache, or can the school do it whenever it suits them?
Original post by Johann von Gauss
Is there a time limit to when you can ask for a re-cache, or can the school do it whenever it suits them?

there are some restictions on when late cash in can be applied for, not sure of specific dates for each examiner but OCR is around 20/sept, your exams officer will advise.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6

will re cashing A level mathematics unlock all modules so that the best modules can be combined for maths even if it means losing fmaths grade?
Original post by rifan02
will re cashing A level mathematics unlock all modules so that the best modules can be combined for maths even if it means losing fmaths grade?

I don't believe just recashing maths will. You really need to talk to the exams officer who can clarify your options with edexcel. They don't bite!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rifan02

It sounds like your exams office have stuffed up as you would have been given the B in maths if all qualifications were re-certificated. It is simple to fix.
Reply 9
Original post by Mr M
It sounds like your exams office have stuffed up as you would have been given the B in maths if all qualifications were re-certificated. It is simple to fix.

I don't just recashing maths will. You really need to talk to the exams officer who can clarify your options with edexcel. They don't bite!

i am an international private student, so my teachers/exam officer have no experience about this.
JCQ and OCR states that, first the best possible grade for maths will be awarded and then the rest units will be used for fmaths.
Can this be an error or does edexcel have a separate rule?
Original post by rifan02
i am an international private student, so my teachers/exam officer have no experience about this.
JCQ and OCR states that, first the best possible grade for maths will be awarded and then the rest units will be used for fmaths.
Can this be an error or does edexcel have a separate rule?

They don't have a separate rule but you do need to release the AS modules by re-certificating first. Your exams officer can do that for you on Monday.

Edit: Late re-certification costs £3.50.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Mr M
They don't have a separate rule but you do need to release the AS modules by re-certificating first. Your exams officer can do that for you on Monday. There is no cost.

my teacher says there is no way. S1 has been locked into AS Fmaths, the only way is to retake S1(or other module) and cash into A level maths.
Is he right?
Original post by rifan02
my teacher says there is no way. S1 has been locked into AS Fmaths, the only way is to retake S1(or other module) and cash into A level maths.
Is he right?

No, he's completely wrong.

http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/docs/certification-advice.pdf

http://www.jcq.org.uk/Download/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/notice-to-centres---grading-a-level-mathematics
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rifan02
Is he right?

You have already said your teachers have no experience of this.
You have not said what any of your UMS scores are for anyone to check your conclusion.
Talk to your exams officer who can contact edexcel to investigate and resolve your situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rifan02

Are you absolutely sure about this? - because I assume that Edexcel have a computer algorithm for distributing units in Maths and Further Maths and I have never seen a mistake.

The rules for Maths aggregation are here http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information

In theory they allocate you grade to satisfy these criteria (in this order)

Maximise your Maths grade

Maximise your FM grade

Maximise your Maths UMS.

If Edexcel have made a mistake I am sure they will correct it but if they have not then you are stuck with what you have - the rules will not let you change it.

Talk to your exams officer. The deadline for post results queries and cashing-in is 20 September.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Compost
Are you absolutely sure about this? - because I assume that Edexcel have a computer algorithm for distributing units in Maths and Further Maths and I have never seen a mistake.

The rules for Maths aggregation are here http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information

In theory they allocate you grade to satisfy these criteria (in this order)

Maximise you Maths grade

Maximise for FM grade

Maximise your Maths UMS.

If Edexcel have made a mistake I am sure they will correct it but if they have not then you are stuck with what you have - the rules will not let you change it.

The mistake is not with Edexcel. The mistake is with the Centre as they have not re-certificated the AS qualifications.
Original post by Mr M
The mistake is not with Edexcel. The mistake is with the Centre as they have not re-certificated the AS qualifications.

But the OP says that he had all 4 cash-ins on his results slip
so I'm assuming this is not the case.
Original post by Compost

See post 12.
Reply 18
You have already said your teachers have no experience of this.
You have not said what any of your UMS scores are for anyone to check your conclusion.
Talk to your exams officer who can contact edexcel to investigate and resolve your situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Mr M

Original post by Compost

I am sorry for all the misunderstandings and confusions. I have understood what went wrong and Edexcel have not made any mistakes. Let me explain:
1. May 2014 registration: c12 s1 s2 m1 f1 + AS maths cash and AS Fmaths cash
result combination: c12 + m1(locked) and f1 + s1 s2(locked)
2. May 2015 registration: c34 m2 m3 d1 f2 + ONLY A Level maths cash and A Level Fmaths cash
So since i did not cash AS modules edexcel had only 2 options: m1 + m2 or m1 + d1 .
m1+m2 and m1+d1 gives the same grade but m1+d1 gives the grade with the minimum marks, so the algorithm correctly cashed d1 into maths.

So my mistake was that I cashed the A2 modules only(thanks to my very "experienced" teachers), I should have cashed AS maths AS fmaths A Level maths and A Level fmaths altogether.

Edexcel will not talk about grades with the students, so i have only you guys to talk to.
UMS:
C12:200 c34:115
s1:80 s2:73 m1:52 m2:45 m3:26 f1:71 f2:24 d1:23 (yes i know my A2 results are EXTREMELY HORRIBLE).
Original post by rifan02
I am sorry for all the misunderstandings and confusions. I have understood what went wrong and Edexcel have not made any mistakes. Let me explain:
1. May 2014 registration: c12 s1 s2 m1 f1 + AS maths cash and AS Fmaths cash
result combination: c12 + m1(locked) and f1 + s1 s2(locked)
2. May 2015 registration: c34 m2 m3 d1 f2 + ONLY A Level maths cash and A Level Fmaths cash
So since i did not cash AS modules edexcel had only 2 options: m1 + m2 or m1 + d1 .
m1+m2 and m1+d1 gives the same grade but m1+d1 gives the grade with the minimum marks, so the algorithm correctly cashed d1 into maths.

So my mistake was that I cashed the A2 modules only(thanks to my very "experienced" teachers), I should have cashed AS maths AS fmaths A Level maths and A Level fmaths altogether.

Edexcel will not talk about grades with the students, so i have only you guys to talk to.
UMS:
C12:200 c34:115
s1:80 s2:73 m1:52 m2:45 m3:26 f1:71 f2:24 d1:23 (yes i know my A2 results are EXTREMELY HORRIBLE).

So re-certification will give you a B and a E. I'd still resit modules if I were you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending