The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Do I have to do M1

Really want to apply for Birmingham to do Chemical Engineering but they say they prefer M1 instead of Statistics modules in maths.

Would appreciate if any current chemical engineering students told me what they applied with, thank you

I have the option to do it in yr13 but I don't want to, especially if its just for one uni
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by VokeA
Really want to apply for Birmingham to do Chemical Engineering but they say they prefer M1 instead of Statistics modules in maths.

Would appreciate if any current chemical engineering students told me what they applied with, thank you

I have the option to do it in yr13 but I don't want to, especially if its just for one uni

Hi there,

I don't do Chemical Engineering but with regards to the modules, M1 is Mechanics whereas S1 is Statistics. Hence, looking at it from that point of view, the Mechanics is probably more suited towards your course and as such that is the reason why the University want you to do M1.

In my maths A Level, I did C1, C2 and S1 in the first year, and did C3 C4 and M1 in the second year. That was when January exams were available so we did M1 in January, and because some other students had done poorly in Statistics, we then did D1 in June, as well as C3 and C4.

There's nothing stopping you from doing S1 in the AS year and then M1 for the A2 year. Unfortunately, since exams are all done in June now, it'd be almost impossible to do both S1 and M1 in Year 13, or M1 and D1 (like what I did).

If you want to do Chemical Engineering, you could do M1 in the A2 year (year 13), or you could look at other universities who may not have this requirement.

Hope everything goes well for you in the end, and apologies that no one has responded yet!
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
I think M1 is only necessary if you didnt do AS physics. If you didn't do as physics, then not having M1 will make your application considerable weaker as most people at UoB have physics or further maths (which usually includes M1). I did M1 and I now have a place to study chem eng at UoB this year. In your situation, I'd recommend doing m1 if youre intent of getting into Bham. M1 isn't all too hard, I actually enjoyed and it will show to other unis your determination in understanding physical concepts as their is alot of mechanics on the course.

However if your other choices arent chem eng, then there is no point doing a module you may not like just to increase your chances of an extra uni offer. All depends on how much you want to get onto chem eng at Bham tbh
Reply 3
Yeah I'm planning on doing chem eng wherever I go, it's just Birmingham that specify M1 cos unluckily i didn't do AS Physics before I realised i wanted to take the course. Hmm I don't know what i'll do in the end but it will obviously affect my chances of getting in. Thanks for replying tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
@spotify95 Out of all the unis I'm considering, Birmingham is the only one asking for M1 since I didnt do physics so I'll have to decide whether or not I really want to go to Birmingham. Thanks for your reply though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by avfcfan
I think M1 is only necessary if you didnt do AS physics. If you didn't do as physics, then not having M1 will make your application considerable weaker as most people at UoB have physics or further maths (which usually includes M1). I did M1 and I now have a place to study chem eng at UoB this year. In your situation, I'd recommend doing m1 if youre intent of getting into Bham. M1 isn't all too hard, I actually enjoyed and it will show to other unis your determination in understanding physical concepts as their is alot of mechanics on the course.

However if your other choices arent chem eng, then there is no point doing a module you may not like just to increase your chances of an extra uni offer. All depends on how much you want to get onto chem eng at Bham tbh

Hi,

Do you reckon you would be at a disadvantage if you haven't studied AS Physics or Further Maths?
I've only done M1. Would I need to have done M2 (or M3) for Chem eng?
Original post by VokeA
@spotify95 Out of all the unis I'm considering, Birmingham is the only one asking for M1 since I didnt do physics so I'll have to decide whether or not I really want to go to Birmingham. Thanks for your reply though

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem at all! I'd still recommend doing M1 as it's pretty straightforward and will help your application if you didn't do AS Physics.

And of course you can do Statistics and/or Decision Maths in the A2 year if you do M1 in the AS year, or vice versa.

Original post by Angel28
Hi,Do you reckon you would be at a disadvantage if you haven't studied AS Physics or Further Maths?I've only done M1. Would I need to have done M2 (or M3) for Chem eng?

It depends on the uni/course, but to be honest I think you should be fine.

I'm doing Electronic Engineering (don't know how similar it is to Chemical Engineering) bit I didn't do M2/M3 and I was fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that M2/M3 are further maths modules, so unless you do Further Maths you should be okay just doing M1.

As I said my school did M1, S1 and D1 for all its students and we were all fine.
Reply 7
Thank you for the reply. That's nice to hear - was beginning to worry a little. I have been accepted onto the Chem eng course at University of Birmingham but was just wondering whether I would be at a disadvantage having not studied Further maths (yes, they are Further Maths modules).
Original post by Angel28
Thank you for the reply. That's nice to hear - was beginning to worry a little. I have been accepted onto the Chem eng course at University of Birmingham but was just wondering whether I would be at a disadvantage having not studied Further maths (yes, they are Further Maths modules).

No problem, glad to hear you have been accepted! :smile:

Tbh I doubt you'll be at much of a disadvantage, if any at all - usually they bring everyone up to near enough the same level in the first year of study.
Reply 9
Original post by spotify95
No problem, glad to hear you have been accepted! :smile:

Tbh I doubt you'll be at much of a disadvantage, if any at all - usually they bring everyone up to near enough the same level in the first year of study.

Thanks!
That's a relief!
Do you study at the University of Birmingham? If you don't mind me asking, what tips would you give for successfully completing first year? And are there any books you would personally recommend? Sorry if that's too many questions!
Original post by Angel28
Thanks!
That's a relief!
Do you study at the University of Birmingham? If you don't mind me asking, what tips would you give for successfully completing first year? And are there any books you would personally recommend? Sorry if that's too many questions!

Hi,

No I don't - I study at De Montfort University instead. Also I do Electronic Engineering, not Chemical Engineering. But in my first year it was basically bringing people up to the same level, e.g. Engineering Mathematics which covered the basics in Term 1 and then went on to more advanced topics in Term 2 (and then Year 2).

I can't say exactly what books to recommend, but what I found out was that in the first lectures of all of the modules, the lecturers went over some reading lists and any books that would be recommended.

Hope that helps!
Reply 11
Original post by spotify95
Hi,

No I don't - I study at De Montfort University instead. Also I do Electronic Engineering, not Chemical Engineering. But in my first year it was basically bringing people up to the same level, e.g. Engineering Mathematics which covered the basics in Term 1 and then went on to more advanced topics in Term 2 (and then Year 2).

I can't say exactly what books to recommend, but what I found out was that in the first lectures of all of the modules, the lecturers went over some reading lists and any books that would be recommended.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for all the info!
Reply 12
Original post by Angel28
Hi,

Do you reckon you would be at a disadvantage if you haven't studied AS Physics or Further Maths?
I've only done M1. Would I need to have done M2 (or M3) for Chem eng?

Physics and FM are very useful, and will show the admissions team you'll be capable of succeeding. However as for the course itself, you can definitely get by without either. I myself only did M1, and whilst further mechanics modules can only help, m1 provides the foundations you need to be comfortable with. If you're comfortable with m1, m2 just builds upon that and I imagine so will the mechanics you'll encounter at a chem eng course. However I haven't started yet so I maybe wrong but its very unlikely.
Reply 13
Original post by avfcfan
Physics and FM are very useful, and will show the admissions team you'll be capable of succeeding. However as for the course itself, you can definitely get by without either. I myself only did M1, and whilst further mechanics modules can only help, m1 provides the foundations you need to be comfortable with. If you're comfortable with m1, m2 just builds upon that and I imagine so will the mechanics you'll encounter at a chem eng course. However I haven't started yet so I maybe wrong but its very unlikely.

Thank you for the reply. Yes it was the course itself that I was worried about, but it's good to hear that not having done Physics or Further Maths at A-level isn't something to worry about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending