The Student Room Group

Classics at uni without Latin/Greek A-Level?

Is this a silly idea? If not, which unis accept students without Latin or GreeK A-Level?
No way! I can't really link to anything useful but I'm pretty sure most unis which offer Classics will offer one option with prior knowledge of Latin/Greek expected and one without. Even Oxford has a Classics course for people who haven't learned the languages before (though I have an idea you're expected to learn some basics over the summer if you get and fulfil the terms of an offer). However, I think such courses are more competitive (since there are an awful lot of people in the same boat).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Couldn't give links because I'm on mobile, not out of laziness/ineptitude - and that's also why I can't seem to just edit my post...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AithyTilly
(Couldn't give links because I'm on mobile, not out of laziness/ineptitude - and that's also why I can't seem to just edit my post...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. I studied Latin and Greek this year at GCSE (Greek short course) and I'm really interested in the classical world but I just think it would be really hard to do well in Latin at A-Level, which is why I'm not taking it.
Reply 4
Definitely don't let that put you off! Plenty of schools don't even offer those A-levels, so you won't be alone. I assume you're taking related A-level subjects (history, literature etc?). If you do apply for a classics course, be sure that your personal statement makes it clear you won't be at a big disadvantage to other students, e.g. mention any knowledge you have of greek / latin that is beyond GCSE standard, such as books you've read / relevant online shortcourses or anything of that nature.
Original post by BeckaH2
Definitely don't let that put you off! Plenty of schools don't even offer those A-levels, so you won't be alone. I assume you're taking related A-level subjects (history, literature etc?). If you do apply for a classics course, be sure that your personal statement makes it clear you won't be at a big disadvantage to other students, e.g. mention any knowledge you have of greek / latin that is beyond GCSE standard, such as books you've read / relevant online shortcourses or anything of that nature.

I'm taking Maths, Econ, Philosophy and Spanish...
Also do you by any chance know the unis that have courses for students without Latin?
Original post by aa_batteries
Is this a silly idea? If not, which unis accept students without Latin or GreeK A-Level?

Not at all. Unis generally have entrance requrements on their website so its a case of going through and looking at them, but as a general rule Classical Studies doesn't require languages as per
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2015/00183/classical-studies-3-years-ba/
Heya, if I were you I would apply for the greek or latin summer courses. Both cambridge and oxford offer courses for people without any prior ancient greek or latin knowledge. Kings london do, but im not sure about any others- I havent really been looking out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending