The Student Room Group

Need help if I should do A2 Further Maths

So upon completing my A levels I was disappointed with my maths grade which overall was a D, which I hope to get remarked. I enjoy maths and I was hard working and dedicated. My teacher predicted I would get a B overall which I also too had predicted with the unofficial marks schemes.

With the choices for next year I decided I wanted to do further maths to help advance my knowledge of maths which I though would help immensely with both Maths and Physics. However I have a massive doubt. I also have not done F.maths in the first year of A levels.

Since I had only completed C1, C2 and S1 I believe I might be faced with Maths I simply cannot do because I haven't learnt E.g. complicated trig functions. Im doing both C3 and C4 next year in Maths. Anyway, I came back and found out they had actually let me into F.maths, maths and physics which my family is proud of me for but I am concerned about.

So here is my overarching question: Should I do further maths? Considering the above. Also, does anyone have any experience of F.maths and what kind of topics there are?

All replies are appreciated.

Thanks
~Diesel
Original post by Dieselblue
So upon completing my A levels I was disappointed with my maths grade which overall was a D, which I hope to get remarked. I enjoy maths and I was hard working and dedicated. My teacher predicted I would get a B overall which I also too had predicted with the unofficial marks schemes.With the choices for next year I decided I wanted to do further maths to help advance my knowledge of maths which I though would help immensely with both Maths and Physics. However I have a massive doubt. I also have not done F.maths in the first year of A levels.Since I had only completed C1, C2 and S1 I believe I might be faced with Maths I simply cannot do because I haven't learnt E.g. complicated trig functions. Im doing both C3 and C4 next year in Maths. Anyway, I came back and found out they had actually let me into F.maths, maths and physics which my family is proud of me for but I am concerned about.So here is my overarching question: Should I do further maths? Considering the above. Also, does anyone have any experience of F.maths and what kind of topics there are?All replies are appreciated.Thanks~Diesel

Sorry but to clear things up do you mean studying for AS further maths alongside A2 maths and physics?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
So upon completing my A levels I was disappointed with my maths grade which overall was a D, which I hope to get remarked. I enjoy maths and I was hard working and dedicated. My teacher predicted I would get a B overall which I also too had predicted with the unofficial marks schemes.

With the choices for next year I decided I wanted to do further maths to help advance my knowledge of maths which I though would help immensely with both Maths and Physics. However I have a massive doubt. I also have not done F.maths in the first year of A levels.

Since I had only completed C1, C2 and S1 I believe I might be faced with Maths I simply cannot do because I haven't learnt E.g. complicated trig functions. Im doing both C3 and C4 next year in Maths. Anyway, I came back and found out they had actually let me into F.maths, maths and physics which my family is proud of me for but I am concerned about.

So here is my overarching question: Should I do further maths? Considering the above. Also, does anyone have any experience of F.maths and what kind of topics there are?

Thanks
~Diesel

I'm confused too!!

You said you'd completed A levels, then said you'd only done C1, C2 and S1 :confused:

What grades / marks did you get in C1, C2 and S1 modules?

Personally I think you're taking a risk tackling FM if your overall AS grade (I'm assuming that's what you meant) is a D, but you might consider just doing AS FM alongside A2 maths and any AS resits, as much of AS FM is independent of normal maths A level.
Reply 3
To clear things up.
By AS I meant to say was my first year of A levels, Which had finished. I didn't do FM in the first year but I did both Maths and Physics. I am now moving onto A2 and I am doing FM in A2 as well as Maths and Physics despite my previous maths grade. I haven't completed my A levels yet no. But for the first year I only did C1 C2 and S1.

So currently I am moving onto year 13 doing FM, Maths and Physics.

So I am wondering of doing A2 FM, Maths and Physics is a good idea given my previous grade in year 12.

I hope that cleared things up
To clear things up.
By AS I meant to say was my first year of A levels, Which had finished. I didn't do FM in the first year but I did both Maths and Physics. I am now moving onto A2 and I am doing FM in A2 as well as Maths and Physics despite my previous maths grade. I haven't completed my A levels yet no. But for the first year I only did C1 C2 and S1.

So I am wondering of doing A2 FM, Maths and Physics is a good idea given my previous grade in year 12.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How can you do A2 FM without AS FM?

Thanks
~Diesel

Further maths is a significant step up from maths, especially if you're doing the A2 modules FP2 and FP3. Even if you had come out with your predicted B grade over C1, C2 and S1, I would still suggest that probably isn't strong enough to consider doing A2 Further maths. If you mean that you wanna do AS Further Maths at the same time as your other A2 exams though, that seems reasonable
To clear things up.

I don't think you can do A2 further maths without doing AS further. If you did AS further alongside A2 maths and A2 physics you would probably cope, however, considering your grade it might not be the best of ideas as it is still reasonably harder than AS maths due to FP1.
Reply 7
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

How can you do A2 FM without AS FM?

Idk, my college did not even say anything about me picking those. Well thanks for the advice, I see I can't do A2 FM as you need C3.

Il look into trying to do AS further maths as well as A2 Maths and physics

Quick Reply

Latest