The Student Room Group

Girl sent home from school due to hair style?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 08Mercyf
I think certain schools over react over inappropriate wear and hair colour because at the end of the day if it does not affect the person in any shape or form then why should it affect the school.

School is not only about education, it's about discipline as well. Look at the education systems in other countries and I bet you that the disciplinary requirements are much more tougher. What kind of school would it be if its grads were ****ing punks without any discipline or basic principles?
Reply 21
Original post by thecatwithnohat
:eek: no way, why do they make you do that?!

Mine literally just implemented a rule this term where if you're late, you have to be in half an hour earlier the next day for a detention. If you miss that, you get an hour detention. If you miss that, you get a two hour detention with the head. And if you miss that, you get excluded :lol:

military-like schools smh

lol i just started a boarding school. We have a 3 strike system, if we are late 3 times in a term we loose our "sixth form privileges"- free periods
Justice has been served.
Break a rule and be punished. It's as simple as that.
Original post by Cpj16
lol i just started a boarding school. We have a 3 strike system, if we are late 3 times in a term we loose our "sixth form privileges"- free periods

maaate I couldn't beat that, you poor thing :console:

Do you enjoy boarding school? :h:
"At the end of the day the school is there to help prepare students for the world of work and for the students to comply so one day they can be successful."

Ah yes, the good ol' one-two of Compliance and Obedience. God forbid anyone think for themselves.

This is a very simple situation. Does her hairstyle affect her learning? No? Then what's the big ****ing deal?

If she wants to look like a leopard then let her, it's not going to affect anybody else other than her when she gets the inevitable judgements of her peers levelled at her. At which point she'll learn a very valuable lesson: people can and will be judgey as **** for no apparent reason sometimes, and this'll probably continue until you die.
And seeing as sk00l is all about learning, and this is a lesson far better suited to understanding social interaction than anything taught in PSHE (due to the emotional weight it carries with it considering it's personal), I don't see what the issue is here.

"But the school said... it's in the rules..."

Blow me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
maaate I couldn't beat that, you poor thing :console:

Do you enjoy boarding school? :h:

well so far its quite fun tbh its only been 2 days.. foods decent and unlimited :biggrin:. All my schoolmates are there so its quite fun! but the teachers are also there as well so that can be helpful for stuff like my personal statement! Yeah and we don't have a bedtime! they shut off the wifi at 11pm though... :frown:
She is a teenager. Why shouldn't she express herself? Schools are not work-places for children. They are places of education and her hairstyle doesn't affect her willingness and ability to learn. Schools spend far too long disciplining children for not being in uniform that it impacts the teaching time. This is not the fault of children who want to express themselves but instead is because controlling headteachers think they have rights over the appearance of the students. It is not your body. It is not your hair. They are not your clothes. Therefore it is not your decision.
Original post by Cpj16
well so far its quite fun tbh its only been 2 days.. foods decent and unlimited :biggrin:. All my schoolmates are there so its quite fun! but the teachers are also there as well so that can be helpful for stuff like my personal statement! Yeah and we don't have a bedtime! they shut off the wifi at 11pm though... :frown:

That sounds like heaven :coma:

Is it a mixed upper sixth? 11pm is too early to stop using the internet :lol:
Reply 29
Original post by SmallTownGirl
She is a teenager. Why shouldn't she express herself? Schools are not work-places for children. They are places of education and her hairstyle doesn't affect her willingness and ability to learn. Schools spend far too long disciplining children for not being in uniform that it impacts the teaching time. This is not the fault of children who want to express themselves but instead is because controlling headteachers think they have rights over the appearance of the students. It is not your body. It is not your hair. They are not your clothes. Therefore it is not your decision.

Shut up. The West is full of privileged entitled spoilt brats and its because of attitudes like this. I have no issue with someone expressing themselves but they also need to appreciate authority and rules. If she was in college or university and chose to drop out to express herself and do her own thing then fair enough but whilst in school she either plays by the rules or she goes. Its as simple as that. I was obedient all through school because I respected authority. I was the same in college but in university, although I stuck it out, I put up with the way things were and then I did my own thing. Its learning to respect the way things are and knowing the right times to do your own thing. Now I've graduated ain't nobody out there who can tell me what to do cause I'm going to be me and Im going to do my own thing and anyone who tries to tell me otherwise can shove it. I'm a God and people gonna lay witness to my greatness and all the haters are gonna love me when I'm rich. Trust me. Ive even had people who've already hated on me sucking up to me already cause im making money. Bunch of losers if you ask me.
Reply 30
That sounds like heaven :coma:

Is it a mixed upper sixth? 11pm is too early to stop using the internet :lol:

ikr!! but its cool everyone uses something called vpn-(dont know what that is) but allows everyone to use an "unmonitored port"(don't know what that is either) so we can basically use it after 11..apparently it costs money but I happened to get a free for the first month from our local internet dealer xD

I think it cost £5 a month per 10 people so its quite a reasonable price

yes it is a mixed school :biggrin: but there are a ton of rules and punishments xD which we spent going through on sunday
(edited 8 years ago)
She looks like she didn't wash her hair for the 2 weeks she's had that hideous haircut. Disgusting.
Original post by Mr JB
Shut up. The West is full of privileged entitled spoilt brats and its because of attitudes like this. I have no issue with someone expressing themselves but they also need to appreciate authority and rules. If she was in college or university and chose to drop out to express herself and do her own thing then fair enough but whilst in school she either plays by the rules or she goes. Its as simple as that. I was obedient all through school because I respected authority. I was the same in college but in university, although I stuck it out, I put up with the way things were and then I did my own thing. Its learning to respect the way things are and knowing the right times to do your own thing. Now I've graduated ain't nobody out there who can tell me what to do cause I'm going to be me and Im going to do my own thing and anyone who tries to tell me otherwise can shove it. I'm a God and people gonna lay witness to my greatness and all the haters are gonna love me when I'm rich. Trust me. Ive even had people who've already hated on me sucking up to me already cause im making money. Bunch of losers if you ask me.

We do not need to 'respect authority' because someone is older or has power over you that you did not give them. We do not need to blindly follow rules which we had no choice over if no-one gets hurt when we break them. Just because she is a child doesn't mean she isn't a person.
Loool what a joke, anyway the haircut is stupid, and as it goes against the rules then yeah send her home till it grows back.
Reply 34
Original post by SmallTownGirl
We do not need to 'respect authority' because someone is older or has power over you that you did not give them.

More often than not the older generations are correct because they have experience of life that you do not. I always used to think I knew better than my grandfather and my father and his friends and do you know what? I was a knowledgeable bastard but realistically in terms of life I didn't know ****. I used to use the the Internet and talk to other youngsters my age and think I knew but really, I never knew. I then started listening to the older generation and learned how to game the system and see life for what it is. Listening to experiences of others, experiencing what I have and putting that together with my knowledge allowed me to be successful and live the amazing life I do now, and ain't nobody gonna take that away from me. The moment I grew up and became truly educated was the same moment I removed my head from my own arse and realised the older generation are actually geniuses full of experience who can teach me the ways of this world. Thats how I became successful. The older generation is who I owe my success to. They showed me the way to turn knowledge into wisdom.

We do not need to blindly follow rules which we had no choice over if no-one gets hurt when we break them. Just because she is a child doesn't mean she isn't a person.

Nobody disputed that but to remain ignorant is completely wrong and you will never learn. I used to be a know it all prick then I woke up and realised that I needed to grow up and start listening to people with more life experience than myself. Now I'm being myself and doing my thing because that life experience was more valuable than any university experience or education that i ever obtained. Nobody is going to knock me down ever because I've had a change of a mental state of mind and I will listen to the wise people amongst me, not the naysayers of my generation. These mother****ers cant tell me **** cause realistically they dont know ****. I dont give a **** how many books they've read. Im rich because im doing me and im willing to listen and learn to the people out there who've lived life and have experience.
Original post by iAmanze
WTF??...

*Looks at her mum*

No wonder.

I really do not like judging people but lol.

Good, her haircut is just atrocious and she would not be allowed to have it like that in many professions, so why should it be allowed at school?
Reply 36
If I were the headmaster I'd send her home too. Her hair is a straight up mess 😂
Reply 37
Thats funny. My school sends guys home for not shaving ...
Original post by DiabloDesmond
Good. The next generation of kids lack discipline in my opinion. They need bootcamp like treatment otherwise the future doesn't look promising.

Bring back the cane
Original post by Drunk Punx
"At the end of the day the school is there to help prepare students for the world of work and for the students to comply so one day they can be successful."

Ah yes, the good ol' one-two of Compliance and Obedience. God forbid anyone think for themselves.

This is a very simple situation. Does her hairstyle affect her learning? No? Then what's the big ****ing deal?

If she wants to look like a leopard then let her, it's not going to affect anybody else other than her when she gets the inevitable judgements of her peers levelled at her. At which point she'll learn a very valuable lesson: people can and will be judgey as **** for no apparent reason sometimes, and this'll probably continue until you die.
And seeing as sk00l is all about learning, and this is a lesson far better suited to understanding social interaction than anything taught in PSHE (due to the emotional weight it carries with it considering it's personal), I don't see what the issue is here.

"But the school said... it's in the rules..."

Blow me.

Schools are also about discipline, her mum sent her to that school and should have known the rules. The student broke the rules and was therefore punished.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending