The Student Room Group

UKCAT last minute preparation

I've booked my UKCAT for the 2nd of October and it's safe to say I'm freaking out. I know I should have done more preparation beforehand but I've been very busy since being back at school and I just keep putting it off since I'm dreading it so much and I can't find the motivation to revise for something I feel that I'm bad at; it's a vicious cycle.

I'm finding the timing of the QR section very hard, and because of my panic I'm finding the questions themselves hard, even though I have more than just the GCSE/Nat 5 level maths required. I also struggle so much with the AR section- I just can't spot patterns no matter how many questions I try.

If you have any advice on how to improve in these sections (and the other sections too of course, I'm obviously not great in them either!) then I would be so grateful, and if you can direct me to any free resources too that would be a bonus.

Thank you in advance, and hopefully we can help each other (if you've not already done your UKCAT!)

P.S. for those who have already done their test, what total scores and breakdowns did you get? It would just be interesting to see what the average might be this year for those applying :biggrin:
Reply 1
Doing about a month of revision should be fine.
Although there are many free resources, I strongly recommend getting Medify for a month.
Reply 2
Original post by cmfunk
Doing about a month of revision should be fine.
Although there are many free resources, I strongly recommend getting Medify for a month.

My friends suggested medify too; why do you think it's useful? What sorts of help does it offer? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by rachelmoyes
My friends suggested medify too; why do you think it's useful? What sorts of help does it offer? :smile:

Well firstly there are a lot of questions for each sections, which you can do timed or not timed. It has 3 full mocks if I remember correctly. Since it is an online resource and has the same layout as the actual UKCAT, it prepares you for the actual test.
Medify is all I used, and managed to get 736 last year.
Hey Rachel,

For abstract reasoning you should try this website:
http://www.tuition.jamesmungall.co.uk/medical-school-entry-exams

I was struggling with it at first as well but once i went through this and the questions linked it got a lot easier to understand! Also, whenever you come across a "rule" (it will be explained in the video) you should record it (on a piece of paper or book etc.) and try to remember them all because they might come up in the actual test.

Good Luck with your UKCAT Test :smile:
Jess
Btw how about verbal reasoning😖😖😖it just seems impossible with the time limit for the ABCD questions some advise???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by rachelmoyes
I've booked my UKCAT for the 2nd of October and it's safe to say I'm freaking out. I know I should have done more preparation beforehand but I've been very busy since being back at school and I just keep putting it off since I'm dreading it so much and I can't find the motivation to revise for something I feel that I'm bad at; it's a vicious cycle.

I'm finding the timing of the QR section very hard, and because of my panic I'm finding the questions themselves hard, even though I have more than just the GCSE/Nat 5 level maths required. I also struggle so much with the AR section- I just can't spot patterns no matter how many questions I try.

If you have any advice on how to improve in these sections (and the other sections too of course, I'm obviously not great in them either!) then I would be so grateful, and if you can direct me to any free resources too that would be a bonus.

Thank you in advance, and hopefully we can help each other (if you've not already done your UKCAT!)

P.S. for those who have already done their test, what total scores and breakdowns did you get? It would just be interesting to see what the average might be this year for those applying :biggrin:

You've got just enough time to revise confidently so long as you focus and revise a fair bit each week.

The QR section is mostly reading from charts/tables, putting it into context and working out simple calculations like percentage increases or the mean. My advice is to estimate as many questions as possible (if there's a pie chart and the piece you are judging on is about a 3rd and the options are 12%, 20%, 34%, 45%, 60%, then choose 34% as it's obviously the closest and don't bother working anything out), this means you have more time for other questions.

For the AR section, note all the common patterns and features (curved/non-curved, number of shape sides and angles come up a lot) and memorise these. Judge using your initial reaction, if the shading draws your eye, find out what about the shading is significant. If you can't find the pattern after about 30 secs then guess the answers for that set (there is often one obvious neither item to sort which you can put neither).

I would recommend the free Kaplan test and try to see if there is a copy of the 600 UKCAT questions book at your school/college/library for free resources. I am going to take my test on Tuesday so I'll give you some after-test advice after then if you want.

Original post by Joshua2505
Btw how about verbal reasoning😖😖😖it just seems impossible with the time limit for the ABCD questions some advise???

Posted from TSR Mobile

For VR, don't read the whole passage. Read the question/statements, identify the main topic/theme they are asking for and scan the text for the themes/topics.

Hope these tips help! :smile:
Original post by Hoops14
You've got just enough time to revise confidently so long as you focus and revise a fair bit each week.

The QR section is mostly reading from charts/tables, putting it into context and working out simple calculations like percentage increases or the mean. My advice is to estimate as many questions as possible (if there's a pie chart and the piece you are judging on is about a 3rd and the options are 12%, 20%, 34%, 45%, 60%, then choose 34% as it's obviously the closest and don't bother working anything out), this means you have more time for other questions.

For the AR section, note all the common patterns and features (curved/non-curved, number of shape sides and angles come up a lot) and memorise these. Judge using your initial reaction, if the shading draws your eye, find out what about the shading is significant. If you can't find the pattern after about 30 secs then guess the answers for that set (there is often one obvious neither item to sort which you can put neither).

I would recommend the free Kaplan test and try to see if there is a copy of the 600 UKCAT questions book at your school/college/library for free resources. I am going to take my test on Tuesday so I'll give you some after-test advice after then if you want.

For VR, don't read the whole passage. Read the question/statements, identify the main topic/theme they are asking for and scan the text for the themes/topics.

Hope these tips help! :smile:

Thank You so much :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending