The Student Room Group

B to A* at A2

I got a B, 1 mark from A, so secure B in chemistry. My individual unit grades for 1,2 and 3 were BAB respectively. Could I get this to an A*?

In biology I got an A but my unit 3 coursework is a D grade so can I get that to A* in A2?

Scroll to see replies

Yes you can, just have to work hard
Reply 2
if you can i would recommend resitting the coursework grade
for an A* you need 90% in all A2 units and 80% overall so its possible, but by resitting the cw it would be easier
Technically if you got over 70% of UMS in the first year, the requirement for getting an A* is still the same which is over 90% at A2, because this will pull your overall score to the required 80%.
Original post by Year11guy
I got a B, 1 mark from A, so secure B in chemistry. My individual unit grades for 1,2 and 3 were BAB respectively. Could I get this to an A*?

In biology I got an A but my unit 3 coursework is a D grade so can I get that to A* in A2?

To get an A* you must have enough UMS points for an A overall and average 90% across your A2 units.

It's difficult, but definitely within reach!
Reply 5
Original post by Future.Medic.
To get an A* you must have enough UMS points for an A overall and average 90% across your A2 units.

It's difficult, but definitely within reach!

So my AS results don't matter?

They do matter as your AS UMS score is taken into account when calculating your overall grade.

So for the A*, you need to have achieved enough UMS overall to get the A grade (your AS UMS and A2 UMS are both taken into account) and you need to get 90% across your A2 units.

Does this make sense? If not, let me know!
Reply 7
They do matter as your AS UMS score is taken into account when calculating your overall grade.

So for the A*, you need to have achieved enough UMS overall to get the A grade (your AS UMS and A2 UMS are both taken into account) and you need to get 90% across your A2 units.

Does this make sense? If not, let me know!

Ok, so if my bio ums is now 247, i need 233 ums marks in A2 from the 3 A2 units. In each of those units I need at least 90%.

How about chemistry, can I get an A* in that? Im remarking it so may get an A, only just.
How does it work for maths?
Original post by citydeer
if you can i would recommend resitting the coursework grade
for an A* you need 90% in all A2 units and 80% overall so its possible, but by resitting the cw it would be easier

You don't need 90 percent in all the A2 units. You just 90 percent overall in your A2 units. So if you got full marks in your A2 coursework (60/60 out of 300 total), you would only need to get 105/120 in each of the exams for an A*, presuming that you have at least 210/300 at AS, which you do.
Ok, so if my bio ums is now 247, i need 233 ums marks in A2 from the 3 A2 units. In each of those units I need at least 90%.

How about chemistry, can I get an A* in that? Im remarking it so may get an A, only just.

No... Those sums are completely wrong. You need 270/300 from your A2 modules to get an A*. Your AS mark is high enough that if you get 270/300 at A2, you'll get the A*.

Maths is slightly different. You need 80 percent across all six modules (four pure and two applied) and 90 percent across C3 and C4 only.

Edit: Yes, you can get it in chemistry as well as long as you had at least 210/300 at AS and get 270/300 at A2.
(edited 8 years ago)

Yes - you need to get 233 UMS at A2 in order to get the A as 480/600 is 80% (as you already know! :tongue:). You only need to average 90% at A2. So you can get 100% in one unit, 90% in another, and 80% in another - the average % is 90.

Yes - you'll still be able to get an A* in chemsitry as long as you meet the same requirements.

As for maths, I'm not too sure!
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes - you need to get 233 UMS at A2 in order to get the A as 460/600 is 80% (as you already know! :tongue:).

480/600, you mean. :wink:
Original post by Hydeman
480/600, you mean. :wink:

I went to edit it! You beat me to it! Haha.

But yes, 480 is 80% of 600!
I went to edit it! You beat me to it! Haha.

But yes, 480 is 80% of 600!

Haha, pedants are quick! :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by Hydeman
No... Those sums are completely wrong. That would give you a B as it would only come to 470/600, which is less than 80 percent. You need 270/300 from your A2 modules to get an A*. Your AS mark is high enough that if you get 270/300 at A2, you'll get the A*.

Edit: Yes, you can get it in chemistry as well as long as you had at least 210/300 at AS and get 270/300 at A2.

Oh, I didn't know it was out of 600.

I worked out that my AS percentages overall are
maths 266/300 86%
chemistry 238/300 if I get 1 mark 240 so right now about 79%
Biology 247/300 82%
Physics 224/300 75%

Are these calculations right? These are all unit UMS totals for each subject. If I were to leave these as they are, and focus totally on A2, is anything here a hindrance to getting an A* in each of these subjects? If I understand right, my D in unit biology doesn't matter because I still achieved over 80%, albeit just in it. If I got 90% in A2 I get A* right?
Original post by Hydeman
You don't need 90 percent in all the A2 units. You just 90 percent overall in your A2 units. So if you got full marks in your A2 coursework (60/60 out of 300 total), you would only need to get 105/120 in each of the exams for an A*, presuming that you have at least 210/300 at AS, which you do.

i was told 90% in each unit sorry for the misinformation

maths 266/300 86%
Biology 247/300 82%
Physics 224/300 75%

Are these calculations right? These are all unit UMS totals for each subject. If I were to leave these as they are, and focus totally on A2, is anything here a hindrance to getting an A* in each of these subjects? If I understand right, my D in unit biology doesn't matter because I still achieved over 80%, albeit just in it. If I got 90% in A2 I get A* right?

Yes, if you get 90 percent in A2 with these marks, you can get an A* in any of these subjects. However, you should keep in mind that the A2 work is harder than the AS work so 90 percent may be easier said than done. :wink: The importance of a good AS result is never lost on me; if it wasn't for my good AS result in biology, mucking up one of my papers as badly as I did would have put me in B territory and yet I came out with an A overall. :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)

maths 266/300 86%
Biology 247/300 82%
Physics 224/300 75%

My subjects (biology/chemistry OCR) were out of 600. I'm not entirely sure if every exam board is though, someone will have to clarify.

I was using those figures purely to explain the percentages and UMS scores needed!
Reply 18
Original post by Hydeman
Yes, if you get 90 percent in A2 with these marks, you can get an A* in any of these subjects. However, you should keep in mind that the A2 work is harder than the AS work so 90 percent may be easier said than done. :wink: The importance of a good AS result is never lost on me; if it wasn't for my good AS result in biology, mucking up one of my papers as badly as I did would have put me in B territory and yet I came out with an A overall. :biggrin:

even with physics where I got 75%? Surely I would need to retake until I got 80% UMS.
even with physics where I got 75%? Surely I would need to retake until I got 80% UMS.

No. The conditions for an A* are as follows: you need 80 percent across the whole A-level (AS + A2) and 90 percent across just the A2 modules.

You could get an A* even if you had 70 percent in physics. It's mathematically possible to get an A* even with 60 percent. :tongue: Here's how it works:

1. (70 percent at AS + 90 percent at A2)/2 = 80 percent average, 90 percent at A2. Grade: A*.
2. (60 percent at AS + 100 percent at A2)/2 = 80 percent average, 90+ percent at A2. Grade: A*.

You may want to resit to increase your chances of getting an A just in case you muck up your A2 exams but from a mathematical standpoint, there's no reason that you can't get an A* with only 75 percent at AS.

Quick Reply

Latest