The Student Room Group

Possible to go from D to a B in MATHS??!!

(btw my friend posted this she doesn't have her own acc.) So for my AS I got a D --(reasons due to some circumstances) and my maths teacher refuses to let me resit any of my AS exams due to previous experience students.

My results
C1: D
C2: D
D1: C
Overall Grade: D

So tell me is it possible to get from a D to a B in maths with no resits.

This years maths has my undivided attention, last year I couldn't focus due to some circumstances that had changed--but this year I know if I work hard I could do well but I'm not sure if I could get a B. I need a B in maths at least to get on the course I want to do btw.
(edited 8 years ago)
A B-grade student would be able to work this out for themselves.
With a D at AS you're somewhere between 150 and 180 UMS. A B overall needs 420 UMS or above. So you'd need at least 240 UMS and at most 270. So it's not impossible but it is a bit of a tough ask without resitting. Perhaps you can persuade your head of year?
Reply 3
Original post by Potally_Tissed
A B-grade student would be able to work this out for themselves.

I'm asking if I do well in A2 could the D move upto a B or is it impossible..?! bc my teacher just has no faith in me
Original post by hideNfreak
I'm asking if I do well in A2 could the D move upto a B or is it impossible..?! bc my teacher just has no faith in me

It is mathematically possible. Whether you're capable of it is another matter. Personally I find proving people wrong to be a reasonable motivator.
Reply 5
Original post by Potally_Tissed
It is mathematically possible. Whether you're capable of it is another matter. Personally I find proving people wrong to be a reasonable motivator.

exactly my motivator- I know I can do it it's just things that happened last year kind of limited my focus and now that it's all behind me I can focus.
Reply 6
Update: the teacher will let me resit C1 only but that's it

Right, that makes it slightly easier. Good luck! :five:

That's quite good. C3 and C4 will make C1 infinitely easier. Aim to get a high B minimum and it will make getting a B overall much easier. I understand this is easier said than done but if you put the effort into C3 and C4 as well as C1 you should hopefully improve.

Would be good if you could resit C2 but hey-ho, not the end of the world. Just make sure you don't neglect your resit content!

Good luck!
can't you just resit all three at a different exam centre? lol
Reply 10
never thought of that, thanks
(btw my friend posted this she doesn't have her own acc.) So for my AS I got a D --(reasons due to some circumstances) and my maths teacher refuses to let me resit any of my AS exams due to previous experience students.

My results
C1: D
C2: D
D1: C
Overall Grade: D

So tell me is it possible to get from a D to a B in maths with no resits.

This years maths has my undivided attention, last year I couldn't focus due to some circumstances that had changed--but this year I know if I work hard I could do well but I'm not sure if I could get a B. I need a B in maths at least to get on the course I want to do btw.

If you got a D for C1 & 2 then I don't see how you are going to get an A for C3 & 4.

That is what you need to do, good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest