The Student Room Group

I'm a 2:2 graduate I can't even get minimum wage jobs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/icy

As mentioned, you do a degree in whatever it is you study, you do this year in comp science and then graduate with English with a year in comp science for example.

Original post by Quady
Sorry could you link me to anywhere you can do an undergrad degree in Comp Sci in a year please?

Thanks in advance!
Lmao at the guy who works for a recruitment company and now thinks he can dish out advice.
Reply 602
Original post by harry_
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/icy

As mentioned, you do a degree in whatever it is you study, you do this year in comp science and then graduate with English with a year in comp science for example.

Soooo you'd have a BA in English - no?

Successful students will graduate with a degree in their home subject, with the addition of the words 'with an Intercalated Year in Computer Science'.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 603
Yes "English BA Hons with a year in computer science".

Original post by Quady
Soooo you'd have a BA in English - no?

Successful students will graduate with a degree in their home subject, with the addition of the words 'with an Intercalated Year in Computer Science'.
Reply 604
I can dish out advice...I have 18 years experience

Original post by Mega0448
Lmao at the guy who works for a recruitment company and now thinks he can dish out advice.
Reply 605
Original post by harry_
Yes "English BA Hons with a year in computer science".

Right.....

So you're rejecting an English grad... its not dual hons...
Reply 606
No I'm not

Original post by Quady
Right.....

So you're rejecting an English grad... its not dual hons...
Original post by harry_
Just quick:

I've worked in recruitment in the past. Computer science is not a degree that earns a lot of respect, most undergraduates can get onto a scheme that allows them to study computer science for a year, it's quite common. Sorry to say that but as someone who's job it was to filter applications I am telling you my experience.
I also expect at LEAST a 2:1, sorry.
I want to see that they were on a committee, societies, clubs etc.
I can't speak for basic jobs in shops etc, only from what I experienced.
Sorry.

So what is well respected?

1) Economics
2) Accounting
3) Media studies
4) Sociology

Computer Science is well respected, I know two Manchester graduates who've gone into IB. Computer Science can get you far. The degree can lead you in IT, computing, business, management, accounting, finance roles. Most graduate schemes require any degree.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 608
A degree is a degree, we get that you work hard. Some offer more transferable skills than others, so if you do a degree in comp science I expect more than a degree. I want to see you were on a society committee, volunteering, work etc.
we had one student who did archaeology and had demonstrated a fantastic set of skills-project planning, excellent writing skills, scientific analysis, oral presentation skills (presentations and talking to public on exactions), excavation skills, GIS, they made an app too. Volunteering at museums and other dig sites, excavation report writing that was published.
Whole list of skills that few other graduates actually have (many say they do but we can usually tell). A degree on it's own isn't enough. We have starting salaries at £18K to £28k dependent on experience and I will always pay higher for those who actually worked at uni past their degree. I did a degree and I know it's hard but you have to work, the lifestyle isn't why everyone (some do) go to uni.

QUOTE=CompSci89;59291115]So what is well respected?

1) Economics
2) Accounting
3) Media studies
4) Sociology

Computer Science is well respected, I know two Manchester graduates who've gone into IB. Computer Science can get you far. The degree can lead you in IT, computing, business, management, accounting, finance roles. Most graduate schemes require any degree.
Reply 609
Original post by harry_
No I'm not

Well you are... its not dual hons is it?
Reply 610
It can vary from uni to uni
I know some don't count it as dual
I think some might, depending on course structure and how many credits.

Original post by Quady
Well you are... its not dual hons is it?
Original post by Jabberwox
Precisely.

I disagree with this completely. Maybe if you're applying to a small company.

But when you apply to nationwide companies they have HR departments and it really is pretty anonymous. Especially if you have to complete verbal/numerical tests.

I'm not condoning cheating but if you know someone who is good at that sort of stuff then get them to sit the test for you. I've read a few of your posts so you've got nothing to lose. Loads of people do it.
maybe you're not finding the right jobs to apply to, a lot of grad schemes dismiss applicants if they get less than a 2:1.

A good solution is to look at entry level jobs in small to medium sized companies - you can find them on grad-jobs.com, especially for IT/computer science
Why is everyone so massively concerned with getting on a graduate scheme?

Where I work they take about 200 a year and over 12000 apply, so regardless your intelligence the odds are massively against you.

I started on a one year contract in the lower jobs and as with any big employer they have internal schemes which I applied for and I'm now on. I get paid more than the grads and do basically the same course.
Reply 614
Why is everyone so massively concerned with getting on a graduate scheme?

Where I work they take about 200 a year and over 12000 apply, so regardless your intelligence the odds are massively against you.

I started on a one year contract in the lower jobs and as with any big employer they have internal schemes which I applied for and I'm now on. I get paid more than the grads and do basically the same course.

Whats the difference in earnings between you and them after a year?
I disagree with this completely. Maybe if you're applying to a small company.

But when you apply to nationwide companies they have HR departments and it really is pretty anonymous. Especially if you have to complete verbal/numerical tests.

I'm not condoning cheating but if you know someone who is good at that sort of stuff then get them to sit the test for you. I've read a few of your posts so you've got nothing to lose. Loads of people do it.

I have a job now but I wouldn't take that risk if I didn't. I'd rather get a job fair and square because I applied for it.
Original post by Jabberwox
I have a job now but I wouldn't take that risk if I didn't. I'd rather get a job fair and square because I applied for it.

It's all well and good having that attitude, but if you want to get ahead in a competitive market sometimes you have to look after yourself. As you've already said, sometime it's who you know and not what you know.

I haven't done it personally but I work with people who have and they are more than capable of doing the job. Just because someone isn't good at those type of application exams doesn't mean they can't do the job.

Original post by Quady
Whats the difference in earnings between you and them after a year?

It'll be the same (around £3k). They won't get a payrise until 2 years, and then another after another 2 years (4 years total). I'll be on the same as them (around £50k) at that stage judging by my own projectory.
Reply 617
It'll be the same (around £3k). They won't get a payrise until 2 years, and then another after another 2 years (4 years total). I'll be on the same as them (around £50k) at that stage judging by my own projectory.

Mainstream HEO to G7 in three years would be unusually impressive from what I can tell.

Curious how you do a lower job then get on an internal scheme which is basically the same yet expect to get promotion a year early.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Quady
Mainstream HEO to G7 in four years would be unusually impressive from what I can tell.

Curious how you do a lower job then get on an internal scheme which is basically the same yet expect to get promotion a year early.

Ha you've done some research.

I'm on an internal scheme which is HEO and only 2 years. I'll be doing most of the same exams as the TSP candidates but more specific to my job role rather than a few different taxes which they do.

After the two years I'll be eligible to apply for the accelerated program which senior staff are recommending I apply for. Essentially this is a two year program and after a couple bridging exams I'll join a current TSP cohort that have already done the first two years and join them for the remainder.
Reply 619
Ha you've done some research.

I'm on an internal scheme which is HEO and only 2 years. I'll be doing most of the same exams as the TSP candidates but more specific to my job role rather than a few different taxes which they do.

After the two years I'll be eligible to apply for the accelerated program which senior staff are recommending I apply for. Essentially this is a two year program and after a couple bridging exams I'll join a current TSP cohort that have already done the first two years and join them for the remainder.

So to check

1 year pre internal scheme to HEO?
2 year scheme to SEO?
2 year scheme to G7?

Which is slower than four year fast stream - no?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending