The Student Room Group

Gcse grades are bad.

I would like to become a dentist but my gcse grades are bad;
1A*,6Bs,3Cs...
Now my question is if i smash my As and A2 would i get into a dentistry course... if not in medicine...?

Scroll to see replies

GCSEs mean nothing as long as you get onto the AS courses you want (and get at least Cs in Maths, English, and Science).
Original post by Mactotaur
GCSEs mean nothing as long as you get onto the AS courses you want (and get at least Cs in Maths, English, and Science).

thanks, but the careers guy said i need 5a* to get into medicine so was wondering any one who got in without the A*s?
You can look into medicine with foundation year if you meet their eligibility criteria x
I only have 1A* and I'm going to be applying this year :smile: I'll let you know how it goes
Oh and btw despite these GCSEs I managed to get AABC at AS level and some of my friends have 5A*+ and still managed to only get Cs Ds and U's so at the end of the day it's all about your effort

And yes I was told the above too /)
But go for it
Work hard it pays off

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spiritless98
You can look into medicine with foundation year if you meet their eligibility criteria x
I only have 1A* and I'm going to be applying this year :smile: I'll let you know how it goes
Oh and btw despite these GCSEs I managed to get AABC at AS level and some of my friends have 5A*+ and still managed to only get Cs Ds and U's so at the end of the day it's all about your effort

But go for it
Work hard it pays off

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMGGG, that makes me really proudd.. i have been really stressing and i would be helpful if you let me know :smile: and goood luck.. i hope you get in :biggrin: its my first year like just started on friday so hopin to work my ass of at AS seeing i wasnt bothered about gcse now regretting it
Reply 5
Original post by ACockyDreamer
1A*,6Bs,3Cs...
Now my question is if i smash my As and A2 would i get into a dentistry course... if not in medicine...?

Don't worry about it. Despite what your GCSE teachers told you, no one cares about GCSEs as long as you get Maths and English >=C
yeh i got into as courses; bio,chem,maths,computer science... but apparetnyly medicine or dentistry require 5a+ at gcse but i only got one :///

Original post by cacra
Don't worry about it. Despite what your GCSE teachers told you, no one cares about GCSEs as long as you get Maths and English >=C
OMGGG, that makes me really proudd.. i have been really stressing and i would be helpful if you let me know :smile: and goood luck.. i hope you get in :biggrin: its my first year like just started on friday so hopin to work my ass of at AS seeing i wasnt bothered about gcse now regretting it

Honestly if you put your head to it you'll ace your exams, I started my revision after failing my mocks in January but if you start earlier you'll get AAAA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Honestly if you put your head to it you'll ace your exams, I started my revision after failing my mocks in January but if you start earlier you'll get AAAA

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is good advice.

I think Christmas is the ideal time to start revising, but if you think you're going to struggle, there is nothing stopping you from starting now.
Original post by cacra
This is good advice.

I think Christmas is the ideal time to start revising, but if you think you're going to struggle, there is nothing stopping you from starting now.

For now, I think understanding the content and keeping up with notes is best,
Hardcore revision should start at Christmas time

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is possible because as and a2 are most important, do a lot of extra curricular and show passion, but bear in mind that certain universities ask for a/b/c grades in certain gcses

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have never revised... would you mind giving me tips on how to revise... and if you have notes already made on bio chem maths.. it would be really helpful for me
I have never revised... would you mind giving me tips on how to revise... and if you have notes already made on bio chem maths.. it would be really helpful for me

Everybody has different ways to revise
But firstly make notes along the way, I'd give you my notes but the syllabus has changed so there's no point
Understand, learn, memorise and do practice questions
And start early
Go over the same content multiple times and you'll be fine
ah

Everybody has different ways to revise
But firstly make notes along the way, I'd give you my notes but the syllabus has changed so there's no point
Understand, learn, memorise and do practice questions
And start early
Go over the same content multiple times and you'll be fine

how is the syllabus changed? i have no idea about new spec.... i am so lost....
1A*,6Bs,3Cs...

omg i got the same exact gcse results as you! :P
ah

how is the syllabus changed? i have no idea about new spec.... i am so lost....

For the people that are starting there AS this year, they've changed the syllabus and content that you need to know. So it'll be slightly different to previous years :smile:
For the people that are starting there AS this year, they've changed the syllabus and content that you need to know. So it'll be slightly different to previous years :smile:

so no past papers :/
Reply 17
1A*,6Bs,3Cs...

I don't think a reason to do Dentistry is because it was 'easier than medicine to get into, academically'

but you can work hard to get into either.. both are very competitive

But go for it
Work hard it pays off

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey, did you apply then?
hey, did you apply then?

Yes and I got two interviews :smile: X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest