The Student Room Group

Ask Peterhouse!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ComputerMaths97
Oh I agree it seems like a great way to further differentiate between applicants from an outside view, just from a student's view it's just a "Oh no another test I have to do really well in" especially since it seems there's no real way to prepare for it, other than STEP maybe. It's both a chance to show off our ability and a chance to mess up our chances at the same time, maybe I just get stressed more than most people :P

The main purpose of their interview/test is not so much about checking what you know about something you can prepare in advance but more about to see how you think & if you're suited for their style of teaching, esp.their supervision.
Everyone gets stressed about the prospect of having to sit interview/test, but most of people accept that's what they have to do and get on with it.
Original post by brasr
with such statements that you seem to be insisting on, it sounds like you're doing a good job at that for yourself already ...

if they say it's an extra chance to shine besides the interview and a more suitable test than the previous tests they had, then stating that you it's different is not helping anyone, least of all yourself.

Ooooh you're new to TSR, right now I understand.

I excuse you, it's all good. People new to TSR always seem to think they know it all, I went through the same stage.
Original post by katzecacao
Yes, I will take all 6 physics modules in a year
Unfortunately my school doesn't offer further maths:frown:
I'd ike to take the NatSci route

I once read that Cambridge rejected someone for having a math UMS of 84%
Considering that my math UMS is just 86%, is there really a chance for me to get in to Cambridge?
How much actually does the UMS thingy affect my application?

OK, that's great. As you only have 2 subjects with UMS it's difficult to say how we'd view you application until we can see all of it and how you compare with other applicants across the University. Your scores are weaker than some other candidates, but I wouldn't say you have no chance. UMS averages are only one of the many things we consider when assessing candidates.
Original post by Ayooo
Would you need to be on grade 8 on your main instrument?

Hi, not necessarily, provided you have Music A level. At least grade 6 on a keyboard instrument is advantageous.
Original post by Lisb
would i be at a disadvantage to people with more historically-based subjects?

The best preparation is to study more than one historical and essay-based subject, but that doesn't mean you stand no chance. We get a lot of questions phrased as "would I be at a disadvantage to...." and the answer is often that if all else is equal, you would. However, all else is not equal and all applicants and applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis. If you are passionate about studying History and have the potential to be a talented historian then you would still be of interest.
Original post by Worrymuch
Hi
How would it be viewed if i were to apply for physical natsci with IB higher levels of maths,physics and economics? Would the lack of two sciences be a major problem?
Thanks

A third science/maths subject is advantageous as it prepares you better for the fast-paced and demanding Natural Sciences course, not to mention the fact that your choice of first year subjects would be limited. However, if you can pick a first year of courses which is of interest to you and can demonstrate strong aptitude and ability for sciences you could still be a strong candidate.
Original post by vincrows
Thank you so much for your reply and clarification & detailed explanation. Greatly appreciated.
It's very assuring and a relief to know what we, the voluntary helpers in this forum, hadn't been giving wrong advices to potential applicants to Cambridge. *phew*

It may be a weird question, but can I please ask who I'm speaking with now?
I noticed Martin (I think...) was back to this thread earlier today but with a different username/avatar, but now the old Peterhouse Admissions username/avatar is back again....
Because the role of SLO and that of Admission Tutors are not exactly the same, I do understand the perspective/approach of each can be slightly different which can be reflected in how it's replied. I think it'd help us (or at least me!) if we know who's speaking from what perspective to understand better and avoid misinterpretation of what's being said.

Answers posted are written by a number of people (Admissions Tutors/Directors of Studies as appropriate), but generally edited and entered by Kathy and Martin (the Admissions Coordinator/Assistant) as this helps ensure a consistent tone. Essentially the posts we make on here are exactly the same answers and from the same people as you would get if you phoned or emailed the admissions office.
Original post by abdulmilad
thank you so much!

should I mention my all my AS grades OR just the 3 A2 level grades and my one AS grade that I dropped.

for example: if I got AABB at AS level and dropped one of the B's would that B be the only AS grade I mention whilst I only specify my A2 grades for my continued three subjects?

thanks again

You should enter any and all modules you have taken.
Original post by yellownectarine
Hello! I have a couple of questions about personal statements for an English application.

1) How would you view a personal statement in which the majority of books mentioned are modern?
2) Is it okay to talk about foreign works (for example French works in translation, or American works) in your personal statement, or should the focus be purely on works by English writers?

Thank you in advance for your time! :smile:

Hi,

Those are both fine. English is a broad subject and the most important thing is that your personal statement is true to your interests as anything mentioned may well be discussed at interview.
Original post by samabarron
Hello, and thank you for this thread!

I will be applying for history this year as a student who has already finished my A2s. My A2 grades were: A* Maths (92%), A* Physics (94%), and an A in History (94% over the whole A level, but I missed out on the A* due to a shock A2 module result and will be retaking!). I also got 87% (A) in my Politics AS. I was 'commended' in the Peterhouse History essay competition, which I hope makes up a little for my History grade, but I am concerned the A will weaken my application. Would my A grade in History be considered a serious problem?

Many thanks for your time.

Hi,

That wouldn't be a serious problem - we assess applicants in a holistic way and no particular weight is ever applied to any one element.
Reply 170
What is your opinion on gap years and resits/retakes( like how many are considered okay)? I due to a few reasons which might/probably come under the extenuating circumstances bit, failed my AS levels (Got Cs and an E when i was expected/predicted to get a minimum of an A grade if not high UMS).So i will be doing my best to get 90%+UMS in A2 just to prove i can do it in first sitting but in order to get A*s, i need to retake a few AS exams so how many are considered okay even if you had bad circumstances?
(I am looking read/study economics.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Answers posted are written by a number of people (Admissions Tutors/Directors of Studies as appropriate), but generally edited and entered by Kathy and Martin (the Admissions Coordinator/Assistant) as this helps ensure a consistent tone. Essentially the posts we make on here are exactly the same answers and from the same people as you would get if you phoned or emailed the admissions office.

Ok thank you for your reply. :smile:
It's just that we know Martin was the main person who were posting the replies on this thread, and I thought the recent replies posted after the avatar/username changed back to the original (after Peterhouse SLO/new avatar was used for a short period of time) sounded quite different from his.

Anyways... thank you very much for your continuous hard work here to help applicants. :smile:
Do applicants receiving a Computer Science w/Maths offer ever be required to get an A* in Physics? I know the typical offer is A*A*A 1,1 in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, STEP II and III respectively but in what situation would you want an A* in all three, the third being in Physics?

I only ask because applying for a course with no Physics in at all, I wouldn't expect to need the A* in it.

Leading me onto my second question - If a (Computer Science with Maths) offer holder where to narrowly miss their STEP grades but hit/ surpass A level grades, is it technically a possibility that they get offered a place for either of the other Computer Science options - the ones lighter on Maths?

Thanks in advance!

All offers are set on a case-by-case basis and I wouldn't worry yet about meeting any offer set - the first thing to do is prepare and submit the best application possible and then the best way forward is to do as well as possible in all subjects, whatever conditional offer is set.

One very good reason for this is the second part of your question - you may be offered a place on the Computer Sciences course but with a different choice of first year options (such as Computer Sciences with Natural Sciences). This is quite rare, but is possible.
Original post by Tedward
Hey I'm going to be applying for pg study this year, in particular the MASt in Applied Maths. Is there any scholarships/funding help from peterhouse for this course? (i'm a home/uk student)

Also I was wondering how close the pg accommodation is to the college? Do pg's eat very often at the college? Just trying to get an idea of whether the pg community is integrated with the college or a bit more independent, and do you think that's common amongst other colleges? Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi, this is primarily an UG thread, but I can help a little. I don't know about postgrad funding - try [email protected]. Some of the accommodation is just across the road from College, other bits are a little further away. As a postgrad, you're based at your Department quite a lot of the time so things like how often you eat lunch in college is a function of how far away your department is. In my personal opinion, the pg community is better-integrated at smaller Colleges. The extent to which you get involved in College life (sports, acting, MCR etc.) is up to you - some students get very involved, others wish to be more independent.
Original post by imsoanonymous123
Hi, thanks for the reply! I'm currently intending to do anywhere between 8 to 11 maths modules as well as Physics and Economics A2 this year. Would that be equivalent of doing 3 or 4 subjects?

That's a pretty heavy workload, make sure you're not overburdening yourself!
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
That's a pretty heavy workload, make sure you're not overburdening yourself!

Surely 4 A2's and an AS is not a "heavy workload" compared to the workload linked with studying at Cambridge I presume xD
Would you say UMS is more of a guideline, used to see that quality of an applicant, so it becomes more of a "pass or fail" aspect or do you truly consider an applicant with say 1% UMS more than the next a considerably better applicant?

This may seem like a very vauge and weirdly worded question I feel haha. I mean, is UMS primarily used as a benchmark (i.e. if you get over x% UMS you have as much chance of getting a place as everyone with higher UMS and the exact scores are only considered when comparing various very similar applicants) or is it looked into in much more detail where applicants with higher UMS are considered a much better applicant when looking at only test scores, even if only a couple UMS?

UMS is only ever considered alongside all the other information we have available. It means different things in the contexts of different applications. No particular weights are used so there's nothing so exact about it. All the available information is considered and discussed by several people before decisions are made/

For example, if an applicant got something random like 93.4 UMS, would you just refer to it as within a group such as 90-95 UMS until you need to compare them to a very similar applicant, or is this applicant automatically a much better one than someone with 92 UMS for instance, or would you say these two are too alike to pick one based off of UMS scores to that much detail? The question is basically how much weighting does the exact UMS score actually have, I have a feeling people obsess over them to much and as long as you're comfortably getting >90 UMS you can consider yourself a strong applicant since there's so many aspects of an application to consider.

If I'm correct, does this also mean the teacher reference also has a just as big weighting, as a typical "Best in School" student is a strong applicant almost always.

93 is not automatically miles better than 92, but things such as how the 93 was achieved gives us information (exactly 93 in each module or 88, 92, 99 for example). Again, no weighting is applied and UMS is just one of the many things considered. Some people are made offers with 85 and some are declined with 100%. I agree that too much is made of them and you can consider yourself a strong applicant if you're on track to achieve the typical offer in recommended subjects.
Original post by Halal Haribos
Hi,

I'm planning on applying for medicine at Cambridge and am wondering how useful doing an EPQ on a biologically related topic is. I know that it is something that is looked favourably upon but could you please expand on how it is looked at to help me decide whether the additional hours I would allocate to it would be better off doing something else, such as reading scientific journals and books.

Also, I know that for medicine applications you look at SUMS, mine is 91.7. It would be 92.7 if my further maths modules weren't taken into account. I'm doing further maths AS over two years. As I'm in year 13 now I'll be finishing it this academic year. Will the fact that I'm doing more maths modules make up for one of the further maths modules lowering my SUMS?

Thank you very much,
Amin

Hi,

The EPQ isn't used in admissions decisions and it won't be included in any conditional offer. However, it (and similar things like essay prizes) are very worthwhile as they provide a focus to your extracurricular explorations. It is worthwhile because of the work it entails and the skills it curates, rather than the qualification itself.

Don't worry about UMS averages!
How important would you say knowledge around the subject an applicant wishes to apply for is?

For example, are all Computer Science applicants expected to know loads of coding etc (will there be a whole interview simply focused on Computer Science) or are applicants allowed to just want to study it instead of already doing so?

We'd want to see that you have done plenty of reading around your subject. We're looking for people who are interested/curious and passionate about learning more, but we don't expect them to know everything already. You don't have to any coding knowledge already. At Peterhouse, you will have one Computer Science/maths interview and one or two others for your other subject (maths, natural sciences etc.)
Original post by Rexsun
Hi Peterhouse admission, I am an international student applying from China, and I have some questions about the admission of the mathematics with physics course.

1. COPA asks if the candidate is planning to transfer to other departments after first year. What is the purpose of it and will one's application be disadvantaged by a positive response?

2. Is 1,S on STEP 2,3 a competitive result for maths with physics? How competitive is the admission of the course at Peterhouse?

3. If a student studying maths with physics transfers, after finishing part IA maths, to natural science department, does he/she need to study other subjects like chemistry, or just physics and advanced mathematics in the second year?

4. What is your college's travelling grants (for physics projects) based on?

Hi,

1) This is simply to get an idea of your interests at this stage. You are not committed to anything you put down and you won't be disadvantaged if you state you wish to transfer to either maths or physics. However, if you state you wish to transfer to Law (for example) you may be questioned on why you aren't applying for that course in the first place.

2) Maths with Physics is competitive, but 1,S on STEP II and III are very strong grades.

3) You would choose second year options as for other natural sciences students. Some courses have first year requirements (you wouldn't be able to study Chemistry, but could choose Physics A, Physics B and Mathematics).

4) Details of travel grants will be made available in good time if you are a student here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending