The Student Room Group

School won't predict A*

I received my A-level predicted grades today but with AA in Maths and Economics achieving 270/300 and 191/200 respectively at AS.

I was disappointed to not receive A* predictions in both of these subjects as the universities I would ideally like to go to require A*AA. My teachers didn't seem too keen on changing them either as they said getting the A* is so hit and miss.

Do universities take into account that schools have different policies on predicting grades? If a university requires an A* in Maths and a applicant is only predicted an A does this warrant a rejection.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You should ask your teachers what you need to do to convince them that you deserve an A* prediction. 90% averages are a strong position to argue from and if your teachers won't yield you should throw hands.
Most colleges won't predict you A*'s but some will, it's down to their preference and yes, unis are aware of this. You will not get an instant rejection for having an A predicted in a subject the uni is asking for an A* in, however, if the course and university are particularly popular and competitive then you may be at a disadvantage because they'll use that A as an easy way of deciding a short-list of students they want.

Where are you applying and what is the name of the course?
Reply 3
Original post by EllainKahlo
Most colleges won't predict you A*'s but some will, it's down to their preference and yes, unis are aware of this. You will not get an instant rejection for having an A predicted in a subject the uni is asking for an A* in, however, if the course and university are particularly popular and competitive then you may be at a disadvantage because they'll use that A as an easy way of deciding a short-list of students they want.

Where are you applying and what is the name of the course?

LSE, UCL, Warwick for Economics are my three ideal choices. All very competitive so I feel not having A* predictions would hinder me a lot.
Original post by Asurat
You should ask your teachers what you need to do to convince them that you deserve an A* prediction. 90% averages are a strong position to argue from and if your teachers won't yield you should throw hands.

I agree.
It might also be worth speaking to the unis you are applying to and see what they say.
Reply 5
Original post by econam
I received my A-level predicted grades today but with AA in Maths and Economics achieving 270/300 and 191/200 respectively at AS.

I was disappointed to not receive A* predictions in both of these subjects as the universities I would ideally like to go to require A*AA. My teachers didn't seem too keen on changing them either as they said getting the A* is so hit and miss.

Do universities take into account that schools have different policies on predicting grades? If a university requires an A* in Maths and a applicant is only predicted an A does this warrant a rejection.

What where your other as subjects and the ums in them?
Original post by econam
LSE, UCL, Warwick for Economics are my three ideal choices. All very competitive so I feel not having A* predictions would hinder me a lot.

I'd still apply, they're just going to be your high-risk choices and your other choices really should be lower just in case. If you can, I'd try and get that prediction changed - maybe ask your teacher if they've done it before and why or why not. If they won't change it then before you apply I recommend you call the individual unis to ask them about their thoughts concerning your grades and whether they think you have a shot so you're not wasting your time.

Also, you can check on whatuni and other sites what the admission rate for those unis and their courses were so you can see what the average grade was for previous students' admissions and what your chances are like. :redface:
Reply 7
Prove her wrong by getting an A* this year! :wink:
Original post by econam

You should certainly be predicted an A* in economics, 95.5%?!

Ridiculous, send an email telling them how much it means to you, and the institutions your aiming for require those grades
I'm in a similar situation - 97% in History and predicted an A :frown:
Hello ,

I have been predicted 3 A*'s for A2 but I dont want too. My highest uni requirement is AAA. Could they increase my offer if my prediction is 3 A*'s e.g could they offer A*AA?

I do want to be predicted 3 A*'s!
Reply 11
Original post by Yousf
What where your other as subjects and the ums in them?

F maths with 86 and Geog with 83. Subjects that I feel A predictions are realistic for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
My teacher predicted me a C in maths in year 13 and i got really pissed, manage to convince him into reconsidering it by letting me do a core 3 mock test and then predicted me an A so yeh just seem really mad about it.
Reply 13
Original post by NatCor
Prove her wrong by getting an A* this year! :wink:

I certainly plan to:smile: just annoying how it will hinder my uni application

Posted from TSR Mobile
how unfair:0 ur results are brilliant btw😝
That's ridiculous!!!
Original post by antigone-
I'm in a similar situation - 97% in History and predicted an A :frown:

This is crazy?!

Put that 97% into your PS, even your reference !
Original post by Big Blue Machine
This is crazy?!

Put that 97% into your PS, even your reference !

I know, I'm not happy haha, luckily the head of UCAS applications (at my school) is my form tutor and likes me so I'll see what can be done! It is going in my reference anyway :smile:

Stupid predictions :angry:
Original post by econam

Do you do double maths? if you don't, I'm sorry but you won't really have any chance at UCL or LSE for straight economics...

A friend of mine was in a similar position to you (he did double maths and was predicted 2As) and BOTH UCL and LSE said even though he seemed very good, they couldn't give him an offer without him being predicted AT LEAST and A* in Single Maths.
Original post by SubwayLover1
Hello ,

I have been predicted 3 A*'s for A2 but I dont want too. My highest uni requirement is AAA. Could they increase my offer if my prediction is 3 A*'s e.g could they offer A*AA?

I do want to be predicted 3 A*'s!

Nope, they wouldn't change your offer based on your predicted grades - it just doesn't happen. Higher predicted grades will increase the chances of you getting an offer, but the offer would be identical to the one everyone else gets, so it would be AAA.

Quick Reply

Latest