The Student Room Group

Retaking a year privately

Hi guys quick few questions. I didn’t perform nearly as well as I hoped for my A-Levels, I’m resitting 2 and have done well in the last.
I work full time because I have bills to pay, so I can’t go back to school and I don’t have good contact with them anyways.
Can my referee be my boss at the job and I don’t necessarily want him to see my previous experiences and my ps. Will he be able to see them?
And also will he be able to predict grades if I have tutors tell him what they think I can get.
Thank you
Hi there, you can resit the A-Levels in your school, and don't worry, they wouldn't let you return there to study even if you wanted to, they'd let you back in just for the exams! Probably best to do the exams in your old school too, you'll be familiar with it and won't be nervous about doing the exams in a new place!

I think that you may be able to have your boss as your reference but that wouldn't be advisable since you only recently left school. Your school's reference will be much more valuable to the universities than your boss's reference, plus if you ask really nicely, your school will be able to issue you with new predicted grades. Your boss wouldn't be able to issue you with predicted grades, at least not ones that universities would accept anyway.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by mmuhammad2004

Can my referee be my boss at the job
And also will he be able to predict grades if I have tutors tell him what they think I can get.

No.
Its an academic reference - and no Uni will accept predicted grades from an employer.

Talk to your previous school and ask if they will let you apply through the school's UCAS portal - they will be happy to help you even if you are not retaking there. They can write your reference and provide predicted grades. Just phone them up and ask.
Reply 3
Original post by Scotland Yard
Hi there, you can resit the A-Levels in your school, and don't worry, they wouldn't let you return there to study even if you wanted to, they'd let you back in just for the exams! Probably best to do the exams in your old school too, you'll be familiar with it and won't be nervous about doing the exams in a new place!

I think that you may be able to have your boss as your reference but that wouldn't be advisable since you only recently left school. Your school's reference will be much more valuable to the universities than your boss's reference, plus if you ask really nicely, your school will be able to issue you with new predicted grades. Your boss wouldn't be able to issue you with predicted grades, at least not ones that universities would accept anyway.

Good luck!

Thank you for the response, it’s just cuz it’s a proper bad school too I don’t think they quite understand my aspirations.
If I got private tutor to do it would that work?
Original post by mmuhammad2004
Thank you for the response, it’s just cuz it’s a proper bad school too I don’t think they quite understand my aspirations.
If I got private tutor to do it would that work?

No. And don't suggest anything else. Simply put, the answer to can you avoid your school reference is no, you cannot.

If you think your school doesn't understand your aspirations, why not explain your aspirations to them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending